Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYTimes on Bike Safety

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYTimes on Bike Safety

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 09:02 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver
Safety is the bike rider’s responsibility as much as the automobile driver. I won’t ride where I know it’s going to be busy with car/bus/truck traffic, or at the busiest time of day. I get up at 5am and get it done before rush hour, or go out to the woods. If I lived in a city I wouldn’t ride at all!
This is exactly the point of the NYT editorial. Most/all of the US has prioritized driving above all other modes of transport, and therefore our roadways are designed to prioritize driving, and are generally not very safe for biking or walking.

This is not just a "city" problem. Suburban streets are often multi-lane arterials with large intersections that are difficult to cross, have no sidewalks. Most suburban commercial development relies on massive parking lots, etc. The expectation in the suburbs is that walking and biking only occurs as a recreational activity in parks or on designated trails. The only people riding bikes in the road are "enthusiasts" willing to get up at 5am.

Other parts of the world decided that this wasn't acceptable and changed their thinking. In many European cities, the idea of driving a 5000lb SUV's to ferry kids to/from schools that would otherwise be a 10-15 minute walk or bike ride is insane. In the US, it's not just the norm, it's often the only option.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-22-22, 09:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This is exactly the point of the NYT editorial. Most/all of the US has prioritized driving above all other modes of transport, and therefore our roadways are designed to prioritize driving, and are generally not very safe for biking or walking.

This is not just a "city" problem. Suburban streets are often multi-lane arterials with large intersections that are difficult to cross, have no sidewalks. Most suburban commercial development relies on massive parking lots, etc. The expectation in the suburbs is that walking and biking only occurs as a recreational activity in parks or on designated trails. The only people riding bikes in the road are "enthusiasts" willing to get up at 5am.

Other parts of the world decided that this wasn't acceptable and changed their thinking. In many European cities, the idea of driving a 5000lb SUV's to ferry kids to/from schools that would otherwise be a 10-15 minute walk or bike ride is insane. In the US, it's not just the norm, it's often the only option.
It's a vicious cycle - now, only a good guy with a motor vehicle can stop a bad guy with a motor vehicle, so we obviously need more motor vehicles.
Old 04-22-22, 09:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts

Or low-wage workers who can't afford a car, and get around on an old Bike Boom-aged bike with the drops turned up to the sky, or a 30 year old mountain bike. You see a lot of them here.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-22-22, 10:09 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
It would be great if every city was like Amsterdam, with dedicated bike lanes and bike parking everywhere but that’s never going to happen in America, we’re too addicted to our SUVs and most Americans think anyone on a bicycle should be riding on the sidewalk. Maybe if our gas prices get up to over $6/gallon and stay there for the next 10 years attitudes towards bicycles in cities will change but until that happens, look out for the idiots!
Old 04-22-22, 10:48 AM
msu2001la

It would be great if every city was like Amsterdam, with dedicated bike lanes and bike parking everywhere but that’s never going to happen in America, we’re too addicted to our SUVs and most Americans think anyone on a bicycle should be riding on the sidewalk. Maybe if our gas prices get up to over $6/gallon and stay there for the next 10 years attitudes towards bicycles in cities will change but until that happens, look out for the idiots!
Amsterdam wasn't always like that either. It was full of cars in the 1970's with car-focused roadways. The change you see today is a direct result of decades of policy shift.

We could have that in the US if people wanted it. Too many people just throw their hands up and say "we can't do that here" though, and we end up designing roadways and cities around cars instead because it's just the way it is.
Old 04-22-22, 10:58 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's a vicious cycle - now, only a good guy with a motor vehicle can stop a bad guy with a motor vehicle, so we obviously need more motor vehicles.
Yup. And our vehicles get bigger and bigger in some kind of weird arms race, which is perceived as safer for the occupants, but is actually far more dangerous for anyone on foot or bike. A modern 3 row SUV is so difficult to see out of that they require multiple cameras and sensors to avoid crashing into anything. If you hit a pedestrian with one of these, they get pulled under the vehicle and crushed, rather than knocked up and over the hood where they have a better chance of surviving.

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-22-22, 11:04 AM
WhyFi

A modern 3 row SUV is so difficult to see out of that they require multiple cameras and sensors to avoid crashing into anything. If you hit a pedestrian with one of these, they get pulled under the vehicle and crushed, rather than knocked up and over the hood where they have a better chance of surviving.

Yeah, the front ends getting higher and more blocky is pretty noticeable, which is funny, because I thought I recalled semi-recent (decade or so) legislation to lower the front ends of vehicles. I specifically remember a split image of a BMW to show how it would affect the aesthetics. Maybe it was a proposal that didn't get anywhere.
Old 04-22-22, 11:06 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by genejockey
Or low-wage workers who can't afford a car, and get around on an old Bike Boom-aged bike with the drops turned up to the sky, or a 30 year old mountain bike. You see a lot of them here.

You never see this though:

Old 04-22-22, 11:13 AM
msu2001la

Yeah, the front ends getting higher and more blocky is pretty noticeable, which is funny, because I thought I recalled semi-recent (decade or so) legislation to lower the front ends of vehicles. I specifically remember a split image of a BMW to show how it would affect the aesthetics. Maybe it was a proposal that didn't get anywhere.
It's all about the macho marketing:

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-22-22, 11:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Decisions were made 70-80 years ago that put us on this path, and they will be hard to undo. I live in a suburb which was designed for convenient walking. All the housing is within 1/2 mile of the train station that would take residents to jobs in the city. There are parks and a shopping center, and once upon a time a supermarket all within an easy walk. The development started before WWII. Those built later spread the houses out more, put them farther from transit and shopping, and essentially built them around the car. For the last 60 years, suburbs have been almost exclusively designed around cars.

Old 04-22-22, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Ugh - it's so dumb. I forget why, but I needed to rent a vehicle and ended up with an SUV. It was a blocky, wanna-be macho ****er and it sucked. The worst visibility that I've experienced and it actually had less cargo space than my considerably smaller VW wagon.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-22-22, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
You never see this though:
I have seen some of that or similar in Philly.
Old 04-22-22, 11:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts

Where is the dislike button?!?

Disliked
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-22-22, 11:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Ugh - it's so dumb. I forget why, but I needed to rent a vehicle and ended up with an SUV. It was a blocky, wanna-be macho ****er and it sucked. The worst visibility that I've experienced and it actually had less cargo space than my considerably smaller VW wagon.
Next time, ask for a Saturn.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-22-22, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The problem is, it tends to lead to an "arms race" - the more people who drive pickups and SUVs, the more people feel the need for one. Not so much to "keep up with the Joneses" as simply to feel safe, or even just see through the vehicle ahead. It used to be, when the vast majority of vehicle were sedans and wagons, that you'd see through the car ahead of you to alert you to traffic issues ahead. Now the vehicle ahead is likely taller, and wider, and basically blocks your view. So you feel less safe unless you, too sit higher so you can once again see around/through the vehicle ahead. And of course if everyone else is driving 5000 lbs of blocky steel, a 3000 lb sedan is at a disadvantage in a collision.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-22-22, 11:58 AM
WhyFi

The problem is, it tends to lead to an "arms race" - the more people who drive pickups and SUVs, the more people feel the need for one. Not so much to "keep up with the Joneses" as simply to feel safe, or even just see through the vehicle ahead. It used to be, when the vast majority of vehicle were sedans and wagons, that you'd see through the car ahead of you to alert you to traffic issues ahead. Now the vehicle ahead is likely taller, and wider, and basically blocks your view. So you feel less safe unless you, too sit higher so you can once again see around/through the vehicle ahead. And of course if everyone else is driving 5000 lbs of blocky steel, a 3000 lb sedan is at a disadvantage in a collision.
Yup. See my previous, snarky, NRA-inspired post.
Old 04-22-22, 12:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Yup. And our vehicles get bigger and bigger in some kind of weird arms race, which is perceived as safer for the occupants, but is actually far more dangerous for anyone on foot or bike. A modern 3 row SUV is so difficult to see out of that they require multiple cameras and sensors to avoid crashing into anything. If you hit a pedestrian with one of these, they get pulled under the vehicle and crushed, rather than knocked up and over the hood where they have a better chance of surviving.

The size and style of a vehicle is completely irrelevant....A distracted driver in small car is more deadly and dangerous than a responsible driver in a large full size truck.
Old 04-22-22, 12:08 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The size and style of a vehicle is completely irrelevant....A distracted driver in small car is more deadly and dangerous than a responsible driver in a large full size truck.
That's some bargain-basement logic - seeing as distracted drivers aren't limited to a particular kind of vehicle, the increasing size of vehicles is absolutely relevant.
Old 04-22-22, 12:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Not mentioned in the article, but have you noticed how much taller, squarer, and (for want of a better term) more brutal-looking the front ends of pickup trucks have become?
It's been mentioned before that the currently popular style is to have 'battering ram' front ends on trucks because it makes them look 'tougher' and even bigger than they actually are. Admittedly they need lots of radiator, but current design goes well beyond the requirement.
Old 04-22-22, 12:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

That's some bargain-basement logic - seeing as distracted drivers aren't limited to a particular kind of vehicle, the increasing size of vehicles is absolutely relevant.
Distracted drivers and aggressive drivers are the problem.....not the type or style of a vehicle.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-22-22, 12:18 PM
msu2001la

A distracted driver in a large full size truck is more deadly and dangerous than a responsible driver in a large full size truck.
Old 04-22-22, 12:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Distracted drivers and aggressive drivers are the problem.....not the type or style of a vehicle.
Two things can both be problematic. They're not mutually exclusive.

Old 04-22-22, 12:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

A distracted driver in a large full size truck is more deadly and dangerous than a responsible driver in a large full size truck.
So what ???....we all have to be punished and have our choices limited because of few bad apples out there ???
Old 04-22-22, 12:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Two things can both be problematic. They're not mutually exclusive.
You can't blame or punish an inanimate object for causing death or damage. It's the human using that particular object who is to blame and should be punished if they misuse that object .
Old 04-22-22, 12:29 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Amsterdam wasn't always like that either. It was full of cars in the 1970's with car-focused roadways. The change you see today is a direct result of decades of policy shift.
The shift happened fairly quickly. What you see today (a high level of cycling infrastructure) was the result of the shift being quick.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ng-kindermoord

We could have that in the US if people wanted it. Too many people just throw their hands up and say "we can't do that here" though, and we end up designing roadways and cities around cars instead because it's just the way it is.
There were a few things (geographical, historical, demographical) that made it much easier in the Netherlands than it would be to do or have done in the US.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-25-22 at 06:24 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.