Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 09:04 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
d key is broken.
I don’t care who you are, that’s funny!

Last edited by A350driver; 05-02-22 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-03-22, 04:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
All one has to do is ride up a hill with standard pedals and realize how much less force one can put on the pedals while staying in the seat. It has been verified that riding a bike requires a fith the engery of walking the same distance and this is largely due to the bike supporting a person's weight and no energy is used to decelerate as when walking. If you need to stand up in the pedals then you are using a lot more energy to move the bike forward.

For me there is also a safety consideration as having a foot slip off a pedal on a steep hill is often going to result in some injury. Even more of a concern when out riding in the rain. Even with sneakers I have used clip pedals to keep my shoes in place.

I have managed to climb hills just fine with flats. I have never had my foot slip off of platform pedals. I have had my feet stay clipped in when I needed to do a foot dab and I have missed a clip in under fast acceleration.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-03-22, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have managed to climb hills just fine with flats. I have never had my foot slip off of platform pedals. I have had my feet stay clipped in when I needed to do a foot dab and I have missed a clip in under fast acceleration.

TBH, I didn't want to get into it, but is the post you're responding to saying that standing on the pedal while climbings is a bad thing? That's novel!
Old 05-03-22, 05:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

All one has to do is ride up a hill with standard pedals and realize how much less force one can put on the pedals while staying in the seat. It has been verified that riding a bike requires a fith the engery of walking the same distance and this is largely due to the bike supporting a person's weight and no energy is used to decelerate as when walking. If you need to stand up in the pedals then you are using a lot more energy to move the bike forward.

For me there is also a safety consideration as having a foot slip off a pedal on a steep hill is often going to result in some injury. Even more of a concern when out riding in the rain. Even with sneakers I have used clip pedals to keep my shoes in place.

If you're standimg on the pedals, the extra energy that would've been used for deceleration is being applied to the cranks and the rear wheel. That's why standing on hills is effective.

50+ years of riding flats, never had a foot slip off a pedal. And I ride a lot of hills.
Old 05-03-22, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Are you claiming people who stand to climb are wasting energy?
If standing to climb uses more energy, it also creates more power. So is that increased energy use largely offset by more power?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-03-22, 09:56 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Are you claiming people who stand to climb are wasting energy?
If standing to climb uses more energy, it also creates more power. So is that increased energy use largely offset by more power?

Most do both, seated and standing, according to gradient, time in the saddle, how much power they want to put down etc. I use an equal measure of both.

I also much prefer clipless; couldn't race with flats. No way. I just wouldn't be as efficient and don't know of a single Pro or Cat 1 rider who wins road races without clipless. I started out on flats for BMX and still do for leisure rides on my Fixie. But MTB XC, road - clipless all the way for me to get a good pedal stroke maximising energy transfer.

Old 05-04-22, 05:19 AM
Shawn1970

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Adidas do a really great shoe, thw Velosamba, visually like their iconic 'shell toe' but with a 2 bolt cleat fixing on the sole. A perfect style shoe if that's your thing - ride to the pub and look cool without clomping about in full on roadie shoes.
Old 06-04-22, 06:00 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
I think that sums it up nicely, you can go high tech or you can just go.
Old 06-05-22, 11:06 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Issues like this really come down t what you like and don't like. Whatever the advantages/disadvantages of any part of bike riding, It's what you prefer that matters. If you like bike shoes, there you go. If you don't, there you go. No big deal.
Old 06-05-22, 11:47 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Issues like this really come down t what you like and don't like. Whatever the advantages/disadvantages of any part of bike riding, It's what you prefer that matters. If you like bike shoes, there you go. If you don't, there you go. No big deal.
Unfortunately it is never just preference of likes and dislikes on forums, especially equipment centric sorts forums. It is hardly limited to cycling.

Typically it is a my low budget approach is just as good as your high budget approach so you are wasting your money. Or, my high budget approach maximizes, enhances, my participation in the sport so it is foolish not to go that route. And there is generally an under-current of wanting to ir not wanting to fit into a group of people.

What is ironic is that, for the “average” forum member, he or she truly sucks at the sport in comparison to a professional, or world class, athlete. But the arguments will continue regardless.

For the sports I participate in, I’m more of a low hanging fruit person. Try to spend to the point where the marginal benefits outweigh the marginal cost. Beyond that it is merely an exercise in sucking slightly less.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-05-22, 01:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Unfortunately it is never just preference of likes and dislikes on forums, especially equipment centric sorts forums. It is hardly limited to cycling.

Typically it is a my low budget approach is just as good as your high budget approach so you are wasting your money. Or, my high budget approach maximizes, enhances, my participation in the sport so it is foolish not to go that route. And there is generally an under-current of wanting to ir not wanting to fit into a group of people.

What is ironic is that, for the “average” forum member, he or she truly sucks at the sport in comparison to a professional, or world class, athlete. But the arguments will continue regardless.

For the sports I participate in, I’m more of a low hanging fruit person. Try to spend to the point where the marginal benefits outweigh the marginal cost. Beyond that it is merely an exercise in sucking slightly less.

John
Hilariously accurate! It's the same "which one is the cool kid's table" argument again and again, the only thing that varies is which piece of equipment is the McGuffin.

​​​​​
Old 06-05-22, 01:59 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hilariously accurate! It's the same "which one is the cool kid's table" argument again and again, the only thing that varies is which piece of equipment is the McGuffin.

​​​​​
so true. every forum / pastime has the high road, low road, and the “any uncommon road” clicques.

people here are a little saltier about it, but that’s probably just the demographic.
Old 06-05-22, 02:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
It's what you prefer that matters. .
This not only applies to shoes but to clothing, pedals, frame material, tires, brakes, handlebars type, color of your bike, nutrition and what you eat and drink, and everything else.
Old 06-05-22, 02:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
unless health dictates a requirement, all else reasoning is preferential.
Old 06-05-22, 07:55 PM
Chickenwings

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Looks like there were some thread issues but thanks for the pointer to the Adidas cycling shoes. Those look like EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!
Old 06-06-22, 12:02 AM
JohnMorgan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This thread reminds me of the time I went golfing with my grandpa's cane.
Luxury. We had to make do with a rock. And a stick. :-)

Personally, I have flats on the Galaxy, toe clips on the Renown, and wear squash shoes with both. Never had a pair of ‘cycling’ shoes (can’t see me getting a pair) but I don’t race, so I suppose it doesn’t matter for me.
Old 06-06-22, 01:42 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
My wife has never owned a pair of bike-specific shoes. She's a Belgian who has been cycling since a small child, 45 years experience, always normal shoes and flats. She's on a commuter-style e-bike now and gets all the healthy exercise and fresh air she needs from that.

I ride flats when hopping on to my Fixie bike or old MTB to cruise down to the beach or pop into town. But for training and racing, clipless and ultra stiff soles for maximum power transfer and no-slip.

I used to race BMX as a kid; had those serrated sharp pedals. Often had cuts on the back of my ankles from my feet coming off them in sprints around the track.

Cycling encompasses a large variety of bike uses; it isn't mostly a sport - most folks who cycle are leisure and commuter cyclists, certainly here in Europe. Touring, general fitness riding are also very common uses for bikes. None of these require the use of dedicated cycling shoes or clipless pedals, albeit some will still prefer them, but most won't because not really necessary.

The answer, as I see it, to this thread is: no, dedicated cycling shoes are not truly required; for most forms of cycling. However, if you want to race, or ride as fast and efficiently as you are able, then it would be highly recommended to use cycling shoes and clipless pedals.

Old 06-06-22, 02:06 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
My wife has never owned a pair of bike-specific shoes. She's a Belgian who has been cycling since a small child, 45 years experience, always normal shoes and flats. She's on a commuter-style e-bike now and gets all the healthy exercise and fresh air she needs from that.

I ride flats when hopping on to my Fixie bike or old MTB to cruise down to the beach or pop into town. But for training and racing, clipless and ultra stiff soles for maximum power transfer and no-slip.

I used to race BMX as a kid; had those serrated sharp pedals. Often had cuts on the back of my ankles from my feet coming off them in sprints around the track.

Cycling encompasses a large variety of bike uses; it isn't mostly a sport - most folks who cycle are leisure and commuter cyclists, certainly here in Europe. Touring, general fitness riding are also very common uses for bikes. None of these require the use of dedicated cycling shoes or clipless pedals, albeit some will still prefer them, but most won't because not really necessary.

The answer, as I see it, to this thread is: no, dedicated cycling shoes are not truly required; for most forms of cycling. However, if you want to race, or ride as fast and efficiently as you are able, then it would be highly recommended to use cycling shoes and clipless pedals.
In the US it's mostly a sport which is why these threads on social media happen.
Old 06-06-22, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
In the US it's mostly a sport which is why these threads on social media happen.

​​​​​​That's not even close to true, it's really not much of a sport here. In the US, it's more recreational and less utilitarian than other countries, and where I think the US is an outlier is in the number of casual cyclists buying what is essentially racing kit. That said, there's a whole hell of a lot more cyclists riding in street clothes than in kit in the US, but you'd never know it from looking at BF.
Old 06-06-22, 05:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Depends where you live. I very rarely see a cyclist riding in street clothing, they are almost always in kit. I am sure I saw over a 100 riders yesterday (Sunday) and maybe 2 were in street clothing.
Old 06-06-22, 06:38 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If by "sport" you mean competition, I think you're way off base. The U.S. has nothing like the European grand tours, and most mid-size cities are lucky to have one or two half-day races per year.

I suspect the thing most Europeans don't get about the U.S.A. is its size and scale. IIRC commutes by bicycle in Germany, the Netherlands, France, etc. average 4 km, and that may be round trip. How far is it from your home to the next couple medium size cities, say population 100,000 or more? My commute is 10 miles each way (20 miles or 30 km round trip). The next medium cities from mine are 90 miles (150 km) away. That's a lot of space for long distance rides, and a good reason to enjoy the efficiencies of clothes designed for cycling.
Old 06-06-22, 06:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Depends where you live. I very rarely see a cyclist riding in street clothing, they are almost always in kit. I am sure I saw over a 100 riders yesterday (Sunday) and maybe 2 were in street clothing.

I don't know if anyone has gathered statistics on this, but I ride a mix of rural and urban miles, and there's no comparison--way more riders within the city, and the large majority not wearing kit there. When I ride rural roads, the numbers of cyclists are much lower (probably by a factor of a 100), but virtually all of them are kitted up.
Old 06-06-22, 06:47 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If by "sport" you mean competition, I think you're way off base. The U.S. has nothing like the European grand tours, and most mid-size cities are lucky to have one or two half-day races per year.

I suspect the thing most Europeans don't get about the U.S.A. is its size and scale. IIRC commutes by bicycle in Germany, the Netherlands, France, etc. average 4 km, and that may be round trip. How far is it from your home to the next couple medium size cities, say population 100,000 or more? My commute is 10 miles each way (20 miles or 30 km round trip). The next medium cities from mine are 90 miles (150 km) away. That's a lot of space for long distance rides, and a good reason to enjoy the efficiencies of clothes designed for cycling.
Sport as in exercise

I really don’t want to turn this into a Europe v US debate. Believe it or not there are rural areas all over the world where you have to drive to get to a city.
Old 06-06-22, 06:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sport as in exercise

I really don’t want to turn this into a Europe v US debate. Believe it or not there are rural areas all over the world where you have to drive to get to a city.

OK, that makes more sense then. You're using "sport" to mean "recreational". I hear "sport", I think formally competitive (not Cat 6).
Old 06-06-22, 03:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
IMO, I don't get the warm & fuzzy from the general US pop to really support it like a pro sport or even college level sport. The vehicle infrastructure & cultural ways in the USA pretty much hates on bicycles. Also, folks don't take those that ride bicycles seriously in the USA. "lemme ride yer bike mannn, it's not like I'm going to break it... just going up to the corner store...." ................................... riiiiiight, pound sand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.