Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike tech available to non-racer types.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-08-22, 11:05 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts

I'm not touching that *other* thread.

957 gram tubeless clincher disc wheelset by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

This wheel set was about 9 months in the making from conception to realization.

I know they're not tubular, rim braked, 935 gram Meilenstein Oberneyer's or anything...But, at a 22 gram penalty to have a tubeless, disc, clincher gravel wheel set that is three-fifths the price, I think technology has come along ok.

Not that bike weight matters much in relation to the whole, or that anybody was waiting for a status update, but Weiner Bike SL project progresses.

It truly is amazing the dizzying array of what is available to a patient & resourceful Average Joe, these days.

That is all.
Carry on.

Or, share your latest cycling project point of pride?

Last edited by base2; 06-08-22 at 11:39 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-09-22, 01:33 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 438 Posts
That's pretty light! What kind of spokes are those?

My latest cycling project point of pride is restoring my old racing bike and adapting it to my geezer bod. The mods started out pretty wild:

Franken Fredo

But after my brother gave me a powder-coating job for my birthday, I went for the classic look, with stealth geezer mods:

Fredo w/ 'stealth' geezer mods

I built the frame in 1976 with Colin Laing. Yeah, I'm pretty proud of it.

But I still want to know about those spokes.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 06-09-22, 05:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Those "stealth" geezer mods are lookin pretty sharp. The new branding graphics very much have a classic appeal.

For that matter, vinyl cut graphics, detailed masking, or waterslides for the Everyman used to be the province of pre-fab stickers from the office supply store or printed up by professionals with huge dedicated equipment at great expense. Now anybody, anywhere can get virtually any graphic in any font or style printed up with just a few clicks of a mouse. I don't know that it's cycling specific tech, per se but it is very professional results available for the cycling hobbyist.

Now that I think about it: Powder coating is both cheaper & more durable than conventional paint of any grade, however applied. That's some good tech for cycling, too.

Everyday, I am more excited about the First World.

----------------------------------------------------------

As to your question: The spokes are Berd spokes. They are made from a fiber very much similar to (same as?) Dyneema/Cuban fiber. Way stronger than Kevlar/Aramid & are stronger than steel. Dyneema/Cuban fiber is used extensively in ballistics armor throughout the defense industry. I'm a fan of Dyneema in general from my Navy days 25 years ago. Uncle Sam replaced the large 4 & 6 inch diameter mooring lines on Navy ships with 2&3 inch diameter lines made from the stuff. The lines were so strong that the destroyer I was stationed on actually had some bits pulled right out of the decking & some bollards were ripped from the pier during a freak storm in port. All my hiking gear is made from Dyneema. Seeing that it was cheaper than Titanium spokes, and at ~$250/wheel for spokes & labor (including shipping,) for me, it was a no-brainer.

The hubs are Extralite HyperSmart 3's made from 7075 aluminum which is a higher grade than the usual 6061. As an aviation machinist I worked with 7075 a lot in high stress structural applications. It's a pretty tough alloy. You may be familiar with it as it has largely replaced steel as the material of choice in most chainring applications. To avoid avoid the individual splines of the cassette biting in to the freehub body, I intend to use a monoblock cassette.

The rims are 28/24 Stan's Grail CB7's. For that, I've got nuthin' but some of Stan's fancy sounding marketing copy. But for prioritizing "lightweight" above all else, it's hard to beat classic box section rims. At 80-85 kilos, I have more spokes than I need for a person of my weight. I was actually more concerned about braking forces than the rims tire pressure limitations, of which I am near the limit, but still remain within. A lighter person with a smaller rotor could build a lighter wheel set still with less spokes.

A person with a smaller budget could still be under or right at 1000 grams with a 24/24 set of We Are One's Revive rims. Likewise, a big budget person could do the same 1000 grams with Enve G23's

Last edited by base2; 06-09-22 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-09-22, 05:13 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 438 Posts
Cool fabric - hadn't head of it. I've got yards of Gore-Tex and nylon still from when I made my own camping gear.

Thanks for the detailed info on the components and alternatives. I have a set of aero carbon wheels that I've never ridden, and an old sew-up pair that are even lighter, but both sets of training wheels are heavy. A replaceable lightweight stealth pair is intriguing.

And thanks for the complements!
Old 06-10-22, 10:36 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
That's pretty light! What kind of spokes are those?

My latest cycling project point of pride is restoring my old racing bike and adapting it to my geezer bod. The mods started out pretty wild:

Franken Fredo

But after my brother gave me a powder-coating job for my birthday, I went for the classic look, with stealth geezer mods:

Fredo w/ 'stealth' geezer mods

I built the frame in 1976 with Colin Laing. Yeah, I'm pretty proud of it.

But I still want to know about those spokes.

much better
Likes For DMC707: