Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Wheels…

Old 06-08-22, 02:17 PM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Wheels…

I was running Hunt 30 carbon wheels on my current bike, had around 2500mi on them. I didn’t care for the excessive wind steer with 45mm tires and the fact that they were only 20mm internal width. When I had a chance to buy a set of Hunt limitless 42 wheels brand new for a major bargain, I went ahead and switched to those. I wanted a more square tire profile and had red several recommendations about how well they handle sidewind even though they have a deeper profile. So all is good, I have no idea how but the wind steer is much better, the tire profile improved handling and allows me to run a bit lower pressure…BUT… the ride kinda sucks. I would not have believed that rim design with low pressure tubeless tires would have any effect on ride quality but the road vibration with these is quite a bit worse. Buzz, call it. Numbs the hands on some roads.

So now I am back in the wheel market again. I really want to hear from experienced riders who actually own and ride 700c wheels in a min internal width of 25mm with 45ish tires. I live where the wind blows a lot so wind steer is a major concern but compliance is as well. Oh, and has to be carbon for durability reasons.
Old 06-09-22, 05:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Sounds like Berd GVX25 is a wheelset you’d be interested in. I don’t have experience with them, but I do ride similarly fiber-spoked Spinergy GX, and the comfort component of fiber spokes is noticeably better than metal spokes. Spinergy’s GXX wheelset may be an interesting alternative to Berd GVX25 if you need or are willing make compromises.
Old 06-10-22, 08:03 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner
So now I am back in the wheel market again. I really want to hear from experienced riders who actually own and ride 700c wheels in a min internal width of 25mm with 45ish tires. I live where the wind blows a lot so wind steer is a major concern but compliance is as well. Oh, and has to be carbon for durability reasons.
DTSwiss 1800 series is comfy and practical 25 internal, aluminum, reasonable weight, tough, and comfortable.
Old 06-10-22, 09:06 AM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Sounds like Berd GVX25 is a wheelset you’d be interested in. I don’t have experience with them, but I do ride similarly fiber-spoked Spinergy GX, and the comfort component of fiber spokes is noticeably better than metal spokes. Spinergy’s GXX wheelset may be an interesting alternative to Berd GVX25 if you need or are willing make compromises.
Looks like the Spinergy wheels weigh close to what I have. Any owners on here? Reviews look good, as long as the hub holds up…
Old 06-10-22, 12:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
has to be carbon for durability reasons.
Are aluminum rims not durable?

Not a helpful post, I know.
Old 06-10-22, 02:47 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Deep section aero carbon road wheels are not built for compliance or ride quality. If that is what you seek, maybe check out something like the Zipp XPLR 101: https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/road/collections/xplr
Old 06-10-22, 03:13 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’ve been pleased with the value and performance of the BTLOS gravel wheelset I bought this winter.

Old 06-12-22, 06:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner
Looks like the Spinergy wheels weigh close to what I have. Any owners on here? Reviews look good, as long as the hub holds up…
Given that the critical rim specs are very similar between the alu GX and carbon fiber GXX, and that the wheels are otherwise the same, I wouldn’t expect any substantial difference between them.

The GXX does have an aero profile whereas the GX is a box profile, so that might account for some drag reduction, but they’re both quite shallow, in the 24mm range, so not at all the typical aero height, and the thick PBO spokes and long, proprietary nipples probably render meaningless any talk of “aero advantages.”

The GX aluminum is 1/4lb lighter, but also 1mm narrower at 24mm IW, both of which are probably undetectable at the pedals and bars.

I’ve only been riding GX for 1.5 years, but they’ve been excellent and perfect gravel wheels for me. I run either 35s or 42mm rubber, and both feel sporty and responsive on the wheels, so more roadie than MTB, if you know what mean. They’re stiff and can get knocked around and still feel like they’re going forward, so no problems there. When I want to snap, they jump, so climbing and sprinting are good, too. And though decidedly non-aero, perhaps because of my large size and heft, the few watts penalty they cost easily gets lost in the big numbers I need to put out to keep my hulking mass clipping along decently. I mean, I’m strong and fast enough to be in the top 25% at events and races, but were I in podium contention, I don’t think I’d run Spinergy at all because of their un-aero quality. The big deal is in the smoothness and comfort of the wheels, which is noticeably better than conventional spoked wheels; they really take the edge off dirt roads, softening the buzz. I do think a little wind-up is part and parcel of that comfort, and it may take a sec to get used to, but as a diesel accustomed to using momentum, that little springiness made immediate sense to me, and so as I said, I find them excellent.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-13-22, 07:51 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Hunt bargain wheels are... well... bargains. You do get what you pay for. Some folks seem to think they are getting an $800 value wheelset for $400 or a $1200 wheelset for $800; I guess that is very good marketing by Hunt to create that belief.
Likes For dwmckee: