Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with gravel choice

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help with gravel choice

Old 06-10-22, 02:42 PM
Mbeach15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with gravel choice

I ride mostly railtrails etc with minimal off road but would like a gravel bike. I'm looking at these used ones
2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR52021 Cannondale Topstone 1
2020 Kona Libre CR2021 Orbea Terra M30
Trek is the cheapest. Orbea is the most. All within my budget.
Old 06-10-22, 03:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
What do you want help with?...fit?...best value?...best components overall?
They are used- value is heavily dependent on cosmetic and mechanical condition.

The Trek is an aluminum frame with carbon fork, a 2x11 105 road drivetrain, and hydraulic disc brakes.
The Kona is a carbon frame and carbon fork, has a 2x10 Tiagra level drivetrain, and cable disc brakes.
The Cannondale is an an aluminum frame with carbon fork, a 2x11 GRX drivetrain, and hydraulic disc brakes.
The Orbea is a carbon frame with carbon fork, a 2x11 GRX drivetrain, and hydraulic disc brakes.

Assuming they all are in identical cosmetic and mechanical condition, I would pick the one that fits best/is the most fun to ride. Geometry will make them feel different.
If you dont care about how they feel or they all feel the same, get the one with the color you like the most.
...they are all very well spec'd is what I am saying. The Kona has the lowest spec, but it is hardly bad.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-10-22, 03:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've never ridden a Kona I didn't like, but I've never ridden any of the other brands/models.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-10-22, 04:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I've a Cannondale Topstone aluminum with the 105 components. They didn't have the "1-2-3-4-" designations in 2019 when I bought it. It's maybe the best bike I've purchased, very versatile. I added a 2nd wheelset with 28mm slick road tires so can swap back and forth between the gravel wheels and the road wheels (takes maybe a minute). It's a very comfortable road bike as well. Has eyelets in the rear for a rack which I intend to add for panniers for a GAP ride next year. I added a bolt on top tube bag, like the utility and design. Highly recommended bike.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-10-22 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-10-22, 04:20 PM
Mbeach15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kona is Carbon Fiber and has 1x SRAM Rival. The rest were spot on. I've seen all 3 but not the Orbea. The Topstone felt 'hard' to turn but the Trek and Kona didn't. The Topstone was my first ride of a gravel bike and I'm just wondering if caught me off guard. The Kona fit great while riding but it was a tall 51. Trek seemed short but it could have been tr seat pushed forward too far. It was the cheapest by a fair margin. I was leaning Topstone before the ride but it's a 2 hr ride away to test drive again.
thanks for the replies. I just started really riding less than 2 years ago due to health issues and have earned a 'new' bike
Old 06-10-22, 07:04 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Depends

Depends on if you are doing loaded touring or not. I have enjoyed having 2x on my salsa journeyman (carbon fork, aluminum frame, 650b wheels) especially touring. I would say that carbon fiber would be my next bike for gravel. Anything that can cut down on chatter from the gravel.
Old 06-10-22, 09:35 PM
grcolts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Check out the Jamis Renegade bikes too. Also, some good buys on Diamondback Haanjo bikes as well. I just purchased a Renegade and love it.