Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ribble Endurance vs Giant TCR

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 10:05 AM
Gimpson_Toastie

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm trying to buy myself a new bike but struggling to see the wood for the trees. After spending best part of a year researching, I'm suffering from analysis paralysis. I'm looking to spend around £5K, but could push to £6K if it really made a difference.

It will be mostly used for pacy club rides in the Kentish downs, so 70km with around 1000m of climbing. Will also use for the occasional sportive, but not for racing. I love smashing it up hills, so something that climbs well would be nice. Ultegra Di2 spec ideally. I also don't mind waiting several months for delivery. Ideally I would test ride the bikes I'm interested in, but with the ongoing supply challenges this doesn't appear to be an option. I'm therefore looking for some help to inform my decision making.

I have been thinking about Ribble Endurance SL / SL R Disc with a set of Zipp 303s / 303 Firecrest wheels. The sporty geometry with endurance ride look ideal, and I love it that you can customise everything and it's a British brand. I was close to buying, when I read a couple of posts on this forum where people were suggesting that if they had £5K to spend, it wouldn't be on Ribble. The Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0, which looks like more lightweight than the Ribble and with a great spec for £5K, was often cited as a great alternative.

I know there is no 'right' answer to this, but I would love to hear thoughts from owners of either? Especially on Ribble Endurance SL vs SL R, and whether the extra £500 is worth it? How does the Giant compare, especially with the lighted weight?
Old 06-14-22, 01:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,002 Posts
The weight difference between these bikes is going to be totally insignificant for your use case. So I would focus more on the geometry/fit differences and the X-Factor i.e. which one you are personally most attracted to. Performance is going to be on a par and neither will give you any excuses for being slow!

Phil Gaimon (ex World Pro/writer/reviewer/KOM chaser/Fondo rider) sums it up pretty well in his book i.e. words to the effect of ALL modern mainstream high-end bikes are much of a muchness and there's really nothing in it between any of them. So choose the one you like the look of best as long as it fits you properly. £5k or £6k will be the same end result give or take a groupset tier (which will also make negligible difference). You are at a price point there where diminishing returns have well and truly set in. Like you could raise the stakes to £12k and have no real performance gain worth mentioning. Maybe save 1 kg (perhaps a 45 sec gain up Alpe D'Huez) and some very nice bling to admire at the cake stop - Dura Ace everything etc.

Sorry haven't ridden either bike, LOL! FWIW I recently put £4.5k into a Canyon Endurace for fast Sportive riding. I find it competitive against anything else out there and a very comfortable ride.

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-14-22 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 02:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Giant notoriously does not list weights, are you sure the Giant is heavier to the point of mattering?
I dont see much commentary on BF concerning actual user experience with Ribble brand bikes.

I can say that if they made a CGR in one size larger, it almost for sure would have been the frame I picked a couple years ago for a gravel build. And their actual in house design and testing for an aero road frame is a lot of time and money to invest as a brand. They seem quite legit.
Canyon Endurace may be something to consider too.

Really, I would just pick whichever has the geometry I like best. And if they are the same(doubtful), then pick the one that looks the coolest. Best value for the $ is no longer a consideration once you actually buy the bike. At that point, what matters is fit and inspiration.
Old 06-14-22, 02:32 PM
Gimpson_Toastie

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you both for the sage advice and taking the time to reply. You are, of course totally right. I think I'd got so hung up on stats to help me make a decision, I'd totally lost sight of what matters. I then became overly influenced by the odd post, which is probably unlikely to represent a general consensus. Having been fitted for a Ribble and actually sat on it, I know it's going to be right for me. Plus, it does have that x-factor as I can get a bling paint job. So you have helped me make a decision, for which I'm most grateful. When I eventually get the bike, I'll post an update with my thoughts should someone be in the same dilemma as me and come across thread.
Likes For Gimpson_Toastie:
Old 06-14-22, 02:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Gimpson_Toastie
Thank you both for the sage advice and taking the time to reply. You are, of course totally right. I think I'd got so hung up on stats to help me make a decision, I'd totally lost sight of what matters. I then became overly influenced by the odd post, which is probably unlikely to represent a general consensus. Having been fitted for a Ribble and actually sat on it, I know it's going to be right for me. Plus, it does have that x-factor as I can get a bling paint job. So you have helped me make a decision, for which I'm most grateful. When I eventually get the bike, I'll post an update with my thoughts should someone be in the same dilemma as me and come across thread.
I did get the impression you were favouring the Ribble and I'm sure it will work out fine. Enjoy!