Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

sometimes cyclists don’t do our collective image any favors…

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

sometimes cyclists don’t do our collective image any favors…

Old 06-16-22, 04:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
What makes a cyclist?
It depends who you ask. You will get all kinds of different answers.
Old 06-16-22, 08:03 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It depends who you ask. You will get all kinds of different answers.
if it’s something beyond “person on a bike” they are wrong
Old 06-16-22, 08:28 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
sometimes humans don't do our collective image any favors
Old 06-16-22, 08:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I am confused. Are some bike riders cyclists, and some not?
There are cyclists, and then there are Serious Cyclists™.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-16-22, 09:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Ergo, any person who has ever ridden a bike, even once, is a cyclist. The defense rests your Honor.

People who ride 5000 miles or even 10,000 miles a year are no more entitled to the term cyclist than little Timmy on his two wheeled Strider. Can I get an amen?

This thread has more than run its course. Time to close it down.

Old 06-16-22, 10:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Ergo, any person who has ever ridden a bike, even once, is a cyclist. The defense rests your Honor.

People who ride 5000 miles or even 10,000 miles a year are no more entitled to the term cyclist than little Timmy on his two wheeled Strider. Can I get an amen?

imagine bragging about 5k or 10k miles in a year... rookie numbers
Old 06-17-22, 08:35 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Larry's no ordinary cyclist. He's the AlphaCyclist. He's the standardbearer, the One Cyclist to Rule them All! A Cyclist among cyclists.
Old 06-17-22, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Like it or not, by definition anyone actually on a bike is a cyclist at the time they're on a bike. We're really arguing about whether the term applies to someone even when they're not actually on a bike.

Personally, I think anyone who rides with some regularity is a "cyclist", the term really doesn't by itself convey any level of commitment or identity. If you want to make distinctions, there's these useful words called "adjectives" and you can attach them in whatever combination you care to to the noun "cyclist".

There's nothing oxymoronic or contradictory about the term "infrequent cyclist" or "low mileage cyclist" or "3 times a year cyclist".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-17-22, 09:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by larrysellerz
arguing over whether or not someone on a bike is a cyclist or not is incredibly obnoxious. Some homeless people ride around all the time and spend more time in the saddle than your average roadie. Ive gotten bike fit advice from a homeless guy on how to deal with a knee injury, took his advice too. Some people dont have any special equipment and ride their bikes to and from work 20 miles a day. Heck i don't look like a "cyclist" and have garnered the respect of the local road racers, saying someone isn't a cyclist is just nuts.
Originally Posted by larrysellerz
imagine bragging about 5k or 10k miles in a year... Rookie numbers

wut?!?!?!?!
Old 06-17-22, 09:37 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Like it or not, by definition anyone actually on a bike is a cyclist at the time they're on a bike. We're really arguing about whether the term applies to someone even when they're not actually on a bike.
I don't think that's how it's used.

Rather, I'd say that a "cyclist" is someone who's developing some understanding, skills and capabilities to use a bike well.

Vs a "person on a bike" who could literally have just checked it out of bikeshare or bought it at the big box for their first ride in decades, has the seat six inches too low, and is about to proceed to salmon the sidewalk "because that's safer"

Everyone has to start somewhere, but some may forever remain "a person on a bike" with no real awareness of (or interest in discovering) any of the things that are key to having a good and safe experience.

And note I said "developing" not "has developed" - if that kid on a stride-a-bike has good role models, they're probably a cyclist. If they're going to be raised in a context where bikes are only toys for kids to ride around the driveway, they may grow up as a person on a bike. I didn't become a cyclist until college.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-17-22 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 06-17-22, 01:53 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
"Real cyclist" trying to ride 25mph on a crowded bike path on a Sat morning dont make too many friends.
Old 06-17-22, 03:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Yearly mileage is irrelevant.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-18-22, 08:58 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I don't think that's how it's used.

Rather, I'd say that a "cyclist" is someone who's developing some understanding, skills and capabilities to use a bike well.

Vs a "person on a bike" who could literally have just checked it out of bikeshare or bought it at the big box for their first ride in decades, has the seat six inches too low, and is about to proceed to salmon the sidewalk "because that's safer"

Everyone has to start somewhere, but some may forever remain "a person on a bike" with no real awareness of (or interest in discovering) any of the things that are key to having a good and safe experience.

And note I said "developing" not "has developed" - if that kid on a stride-a-bike has good role models, they're probably a cyclist. If they're going to be raised in a context where bikes are only toys for kids to ride around the driveway, they may grow up as a person on a bike. I didn't become a cyclist until college.
i'd say anyone actually riding a bike is a cyclist, the same way someone driving is a motorist. you continue to be a cyclist after dismounting when you pursue it enthusiastically on and off the bike, whether for exercise, pleasure, practical purposes, etc. i don't think someone who hops on a bike-share bike to go a few miles considers themselves a cyclist, but if they're on a bicycle on a road, yes, they're a cyclist. the people here continue to be cyclists throughout their life because they're working on bikes, talking about bikes, arguing about bikes, shopping for bikes, buying bikes, arguing about bikes, looking at pictures of bikes, arguing about bikes, thinking about bikes, and sometimes arguing about bikes.
Old 06-18-22, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i'd say anyone actually riding a bike is a cyclist, the same way someone driving is a motorist. you continue to be a cyclist after dismounting when you pursue it enthusiastically on and off the bike, whether for exercise, pleasure, practical purposes, etc. i don't think someone who hops on a bike-share bike to go a few miles considers themselves a cyclist, but if they're on a bicycle on a road, yes, they're a cyclist. the people here continue to be cyclists throughout their life because they're working on bikes, talking about bikes, arguing about bikes, shopping for bikes, buying bikes, arguing about bikes, looking at pictures of bikes, arguing about bikes, thinking about bikes, and sometimes arguing about bikes.
Mind blown.
Old 06-18-22, 09:46 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is it really a revelation to you that a large percentage of the population doesn’t consider how their actions affect those around them or do but make their convenience paramount? No different from someone who, say, parks in the street in front of a huge parking space because they are too lazy to park in the space for their quick errand.
Those are the people for whom the automatic transmission, power steering, and traction control were invented for.
Old 06-18-22, 09:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Those are the people for whom the automatic transmission, power steering, and traction control were invented for.
I’m glad for those things. My car just topped 16,000 miles on Thursday after a long (for me) drive to and from the start of a bike tour. Its 6th birthday is early next month.
Old 06-18-22, 09:57 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m glad for those things. My car just topped 16,000 miles on Thursday after a long (for me) drive to and from the start of a bike tour. Its 6th birthday is early next month.
My car topped 450,000 miles recently and it's 40 years old. It's got a five-speed stick shift and no power steering or traction control. And it's air-conditioned.
Old 06-18-22, 11:25 AM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Ok, it seems reasonable that bad behavior harms cyclists' "collective image."

Does cycling infrastructure also harm cyclists' collective image? Does clogging up cities with under-used bike lanes, reduced parking, and narrower and fewer motor vehicle lanes harm the image of cycling and cyclists? Lawrence Solomon wrote in the Financial Post describing how cycling infrastructure benefits too few at practical and fiscal cost to most people that are harmed by it. "They are often seen as an entitled, smug and affected minority....Almost everywhere they’re seen as discourteous, and as threats to the safety of pedestrians." He also described, "bike backlash — resentment at the privileged position of cyclists, who are notorious for flouting the rules of the road without contributing their fair share."

https://financialpost.com/opinion/la...moting-cycling
Old 06-18-22, 11:40 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin

Does cycling infrastructure also harm cyclists' collective image? Does clogging up cities with under-used bike lanes, reduced parking, and narrower and fewer motor vehicle lanes harm the image of cycling and cyclists? Lawrence Solomon wrote in the Financial Post describing how cycling infrastructure benefits too few at practical and fiscal cost to most people that are harmed by it. "They are often seen as an entitled, smug and affected minority....Almost everywhere they’re seen as discourteous, and as threats to the safety of pedestrians." He also described, "bike backlash — resentment at the privileged position of cyclists, who are notorious for flouting the rules of the road without contributing their fair share."

probably important to consider the source of this article.

Lawrence Solomon is executive director of Urban Renaissance Institute, a division of Energy Probe Research Foundation.
Energy Probe is a non-governmental social, economic, and environmental policy organization based in Toronto, Canada known for denying man-made climate change.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

It was founded in 1970 as a sister project of Pollution Probe.[9] In 1980, the two organizations formally separated and the Energy Probe Research Foundation (EPRF) was created, describing itself as "one of Canada's largest independent think tanks, with 17 public policy researchers", focusing "on the economic, environmental, and social impacts of the use and production of energy."[10][11][12] After its separation and incorporation, and led from then on by Lawrence Solomon, EPRF began to accept funding from the oil and gas industry, and, in 1983, began a campaign "to educate Canadians to the social, environmental and economic benefits of less regulation in the petroleum field."[13] In the 1980s, the organization was also responsible for a proposal to dismantle the province of Ontario's publicly ownedelectricity utility, Ontario Hydro, in favour of privatization.[14]
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-18-22, 11:40 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by greatbasin

A "cycling infrastructure" would not have been necessary if cities were planned properly around the size and spatial capability of the human form to begin with. Had it not been for the (in many cases legally mandated) urban sprawl, people wouldn't have needed to use fossil-fueled motor vehicles - public or privately owned - as often or for as long as they do, and walking and/or cycling would've been the norm. But too many people want their leased BMWs and Range Rovers and their neatly manicured front lawns out in the suburbs because as far as they're concerned, that's what financial success and upward mobility is all about. I wonder how many members of this forum cycle (or claim that they cycle) for the joy of being on a bicycle and not for image and status - to fit in with a group or to flaunt their Dura-ace/carbon-everything level if affluence.
Old 06-18-22, 12:21 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
A "cycling infrastructure" would not have been necessary if cities were planned properly around the size and spatial capability of the human form to begin with. Had it not been for the (in many cases legally mandated) urban sprawl, people wouldn't have needed to use fossil-fueled motor vehicles - public or privately owned - as often or for as long as they do, and walking and/or cycling would've been the norm. But too many people want their leased BMWs and Range Rovers and their neatly manicured front lawns out in the suburbs because as far as they're concerned, that's what financial success and upward mobility is all about. I wonder how many members of this forum cycle (or claim that they cycle) for the joy of being on a bicycle and not for image and status - to fit in with a group or to flaunt their Dura-ace/carbon-everything level if affluence.
Maybe we just don't want to live in the city or associate with the collective imagery of those who do. I think that is called freedom.
Old 06-18-22, 02:50 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
A friend on Facebook in the Chester area mentioned there was a big bike competition or challenge today where bicyclists were doing stuff to upset people.

Personally don't think I have had turned off hardly any motorists to biking, though I'm sure there are plenty of motorists who have. Just follow the good principles of biking and there shouldn't be any problems.

I've seen plenty of bikers taking up too much of the road as if they were motorcyclists, same thing with pedestrians especially in the last couple years, or walking, biking on the "wrong" side thinking it is safer that way.

Last edited by TLit; 06-18-22 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-18-22, 03:21 PM
greatbasin

Originally Posted by mschwett
probably important to consider the source of this article.
Ok. He doesn't beat around the bush about his agenda with the headline, "ban the bike!" There's no claim here of a lack of bias. But can you refute his claims? Chiefly that cycling infrastructure unduly burdens cities with both capital expense and ongoing interference with motor traffic for the benefit of a small minority of users who take on an attitude of entitlement in spite of the fact they're not significantly contributing to the cost of the infrastructure they're using.
Old 06-18-22, 04:14 PM
greatbasin

...too many people want their leased BMWs and Range Rovers and their neatly manicured front lawns out in the suburbs because as far as they're concerned, that's what financial success and upward mobility is all about. I wonder how many members of this forum cycle (or claim that they cycle) for the joy of being on a bicycle and not for image and status - to fit in with a group or to flaunt their Dura-ace/carbon-everything level if affluence.
I can tell you that I have just as much joy being on a motorcycle or in a car as I do on a bicycle. I live in a rural area where there is no traffic whatsoever. I don't have a commute and so my fuel expense is almost entirely for pleasure. What's more, I do actually prefer the bicycle for the image and status -- not the status of Dura-Ace and carbon (I have neither). The image and status of automobile ownership is that of the low classes. If you consider it carefully, the automobile is utterly vulgar. Even if a person were to be willing to risk the appearance of straining themselves by possessing a Lamborghini, Maybach, or Bugatti, they will only succeed in projecting the image of foolish nouveau riche like Justin Bieber or somebody. This doesn't mean that owning an automobile makes you low-class, but as a symbol of any higher status, it is without hope. A more tasteful person will use an automobile like a pair of socks -- without any expectation of being imbued with status as a result. Similarly, one cannot hope to acquire social status merely by the purchase of some other gadget or bauble whether it be a personal jet or an expensive bicycle. The bicycle in general, however, can be effectively used to project the image that says, "I'm not in a hurry." "I certainly don't have to be getting to work at anytime." "Neither do I need to haul a pallet of stuff home from Costco or Walmart." Anytime on a bicycle that affords time away from motor vehicles helps avoid that class-lowering association. I'm afraid bicycles can't raise one's social status though, not the way horses and sailing are supposed by some to do. Note that it's sailing and not motoryachting as those Russian oligarchs and others have apparently thought, who have presumed they could raise their social status merely by an expensive purchase which conveys the image that they're in a hurry and that there must be somewhere that's more important to be than where they are at the moment. I think you can see how the bicycle can contrast with that.
Old 06-18-22, 04:17 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Maybe we just don't want to live in the city or associate with the collective imagery of those who do. I think that is called freedom.
If you're so aware of the concept of freedom, then you ought to be aware that it cuts both ways: cyclists are free to use the same roads that motorists do, with the same rights and the same duties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.