Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What may annoy you when commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What may annoy you when commuting?

Old 03-21-19, 01:16 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac

Atmosphere or Drivers?
Little traffic and very safe before dark I would guess. A lot of driving drunk as the public transport was somewhat poor.
Old 03-21-19, 01:17 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

Considering the Venue as you suggested maybe I should Clarify. My concentration is not with experienced, veteran riders like yourselves. My drive is with the inexperienced, beginning rider and those who want to try the sport in an attempt to keep them out of trouble so they do try the sport, enjoy its many benefits and stay with it in order to grow the sport as much as possible. These people go out on urban streets unprepared and not realizing the dangers and something happens they are not going to stay with the sport. And they will lose and we will loose. I am just saying be aware of the dangers and find your own personal way of dealing with them. But they have to be dealt with,not ignored. I believe many of these deaths and injuries are with inexperienced riders and that hurts the sport.
I don't know how the numbers look, but I'd guess a lot of people who are just trying commuting by bike already have experience commuting by car that gives them some idea of the risks. IMO it's one reason why you have cyclists who can't seem to stand sharing the travel spaces with other people/vehicles, they're still thinking and acting aggressively like so many car drivers do. I've been guilty of that for sure. I think BF members make a good effort to scare newbies away from the commuting forum.
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts

Considering the Venue as you suggested maybe I should Clarify. My concentration is not with experienced, veteran riders like yourselves. My drive is with the inexperienced, beginning rider and those who want to try the sport in an attempt to keep them out of trouble so they do try the sport, enjoy its many benefits and stay with it in order to grow the sport as much as possible. These people go out on urban streets unprepared and not realizing the dangers and something happens they are not going to stay with the sport. And they will lose and we will loose. I am just saying be aware of the dangers and find your own personal way of dealing with them. But they have to be dealt with,not ignored. I believe many of these deaths and injuries are with inexperienced riders and that hurts the sport.
ok i've read through this whole thread especially your attitude of everyone stay inside and don't commute cause i got hit by a car and no one should ride on the streets ever.

please take a step back and look exactly at what you are doing and saying on a cycling forum, and the commuting section no less. if everyone took your attitude there would be a whole lot of things not being done on a daily basis.

My first love is lognboarding, i throw myself down the biggest paved hill i can find and know i'm doing something that most people and i'm pretty sure yourself included would consider massively stupid. would i listen to most people i would not have any fun in my life, would i listen to your views on commuting i'd be paying about 30 euros a week for what is currently a 15 min bike ride to work. you got hit, you are weary of what can happen to you, that is your problem not ours. accept that and move on.
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I have no control over what a driver does with his car.
This is absolutely not true.

There are a wide variety of tactics you can use to guide the behavior of vehicles behind (including ones that can't see you and don't know you're there) and even in front of you. For example, if you see cars coming up behind you, you can nudge them out or even get them to slow down via positioning. Drivers tend to do whatever the vehicle in front of them did, so it's not hard to herd cars. You can use what you know about what's going on behind you to alter patterns to set up turns across traffic and many other useful things.

There are an enormous number of ways to communicate with and influence drivers -- which they appreciate if done right. If you do this, the road experience is completely different. BTW, people are creatures of habit meaning that they show up at about the same times in about the same places. This means you can "train" people to work with you.

How you and others deal with it is up to you.
Absolutely. No one has a greater interest in your safety than you, so you definitely don't want to entrust others with it. It's critical to be aware of your environment and actively engage with others to negotiate shared space.
Old 03-21-19, 01:25 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

Your edit is of what I speak. I believe everything should be done to prevent a person from going through this. The riding past the spot where it happened everyday is the big one.
I recommend you find a like-minded cyclist/bike commuter to listen and/or help you talk through your crash one on one.
Old 03-21-19, 01:29 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Little traffic and very safe before dark I would guess. A lot of driving drunk as the public transport was somewhat poor.
Yeah, those drunk drivers can be pretty relaxed. You were riding in the Tourist Areas during the day. Next time you are here I will take you on St. Claude, Claiborne and Hayne Blvd during rush hour to give you an idea what a commute would be like. You got Health Insurance?
Old 03-21-19, 01:31 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Storm sewers backing up overnight and creating black ice slicks on an otherwise clean pavement are annoying. Some BF posters are also just like that.
Old 03-21-19, 01:32 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Phamilton
I recommend you find a like-minded cyclist/bike commuter to listen and/or help you talk through your crash one on one.
No, I want to find the ***** who did it and I am going to do all of the talking.
Old 03-21-19, 01:41 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by banerjek
This is absolutely not true.

There are a wide variety of tactics you can use to guide the behavior of vehicles behind (including ones that can't see you and don't know you're there) and even in front of you. For example, if you see cars coming up behind you, you can nudge them out or even get them to slow down via positioning. Drivers tend to do whatever the vehicle in front of them did, so it's not hard to herd cars. You can use what you know about what's going on behind you to alter patterns to set up turns across traffic and many other useful things.

There are an enormous number of ways to communicate with and influence drivers -- which they appreciate if done right. If you do this, the road experience is completely different. BTW, people are creatures of habit meaning that they show up at about the same times in about the same places. This means you can "train" people to work with you.

Absolutely. No one has a greater interest in your safety than you, so you definitely don't want to entrust others with it. It's critical to be aware of your environment and actively engage with others to negotiate shared space.
I was thinking more in terms of people coming out of intersections and running stop signs and red lights to broadside your rear end.
Old 03-21-19, 01:46 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Yeah, those drunk drivers can be pretty relaxed. You were riding in the Tourist Areas during the day. Next time you are here I will take you on St. Claude, Claiborne and Hayne Blvd during rush hour to give you an idea what a commute would be like. You got Health Insurance?
I couldn't resist googling that one. To save others time, these look like the major (unimproved) freight routes through town so you have things like 4 lane shoulderless roads butting right into a curb and I'm guessing everyone drives at highway speeds. It looks bad compared to most highway riding unless traffic jams slow it down to something reasonable.

Fortunately, decent alternatives exist nearby. Water crossing options are not good. Pretty much everyone would want to take the ped route (where available) unless traffic moves way slower than I suspect it does.
Old 03-21-19, 01:52 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

I was thinking more in terms of people coming out of intersections and running stop signs and red lights to broadside your rear end.
I'm a little confused by the picture painted.

If they're running the light, they either have to come from the side or behind to be a threat. You can see people approaching from the side before you get to the intersection and take appropriate action. If they're coming from behind, that they ran the red and are bearing right down on you would be a dead giveaway that it's time to bail. Actually needing to bail is extremely rare -- I've found it necessary maybe 2 or 3 times in my life.

If you don't know what's going on behind you, you should. There's a reason mirrors are legally required on cars. They're even more useful when you're slower than everyone else in a visually busy area with people of unknown ability/sobriety/mental state and not in a steel safety cage.
Old 03-21-19, 01:52 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by phile
ok i've read through this whole thread especially your attitude of everyone stay inside and don't commute cause i got hit by a car and no one should ride on the streetsx ever.

please take a step back and look exactly at what you are doing and saying on a cycling forum, and the commuting section no less. if everyone took your attitude there would be a whole lot of things not being done on a daily basis.

My first love is lognboarding, i throw myself down the biggest paved hill i can find and know i'm doing something that most people and i'm pretty sure yourself included would consider massively stupid. would i listen to most people i would not have any fun in my life, would i listen to your views on commuting i'd be paying about 30 euros a week for what is currently a 15 min bike ride to work. you got hit, you are weary of what can happen to you, that is your problem not ours. accept that and move on.
Wrong again. You can read into what I have said anything you want. That is your freedom and right. But all I have said repeatedly is, just be aware of the dangers and deal with them in your own personal way. Do not ignore them. I do not pity myself. I am stating a fact. You can get hurt or even killed riding urban streets especially during rush hours. Be aware of it and deal with it. And I certainly do not need your pity or for you to make it your problem. I am stating a fact.

Old 03-21-19, 02:01 PM
mjac

I'm a little confused by the picture painted.

If they're running the light, they either have to come from the side or behind to be a threat. You can see people approaching from the side before you get to the intersection and take appropriate action. If they're coming from behind, that they ran the red and are bearing right down on you would be a dead giveaway that it's time to bail. Actually needing to bail is extremely rare -- I've found it necessary maybe 2 or 3 times in my life.

If you don't know what's going on behind you, you should. There's a reason mirrors are legally required on cars. They're even more useful when you're slower than everyone else in a visually busy area with people of unknown ability/sobriety/mental state and not in a steel safety cage.
You obviously have not seen New Orleans drivers run a Stop Sign or Red Light. They actually accelerate and close their eyes. If someone is sitting in an intersection looking down the street looking for cars, not at you in the Bike Lane or right hand lane, and pulls out on you, you are going to get hit in the side or you are going to hit them. You have no control over that none. Again, they come out fast. Very Fast.
Old 03-21-19, 02:04 PM
phile

Wrong again. You can read into what I have said anything you want. That is your freedom and right. But all I have said repeatedly is, just be aware of the dangers and deal with them in your own personal way. Do not ignore them. I do not pity myself. I am stating a fact. You can get hurt or even killed riding urban streets especially during rush hours. Be aware of it and deal with it. And I certainly do not need your pity or for you to make it your problem. I am stating a fact.

pity? oh you misunderstand me i do not pity you in fact i currently find you an insufferable woe is me type of person.
Old 03-21-19, 02:06 PM
mjac

I couldn't resist googling that one. To save others time, these look like the major (unimproved) freight routes through town so you have things like 4 lane shoulderless roads butting right into a curb and I'm guessing everyone drives at highway speeds. It looks bad compared to most highway riding unless traffic jams slow it down to something reasonable.

Fortunately, decent alternatives exist nearby. Water crossing options are not good. Pretty much everyone would want to take the ped route (where available) unless traffic moves way slower than I suspect it does.
You are starting to get the idea. Wait until you try it in person.
Old 03-21-19, 02:12 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

You obviously have not seen New Orleans drivers run a Stop Sign or Red Light. They actually accelerate and close their eyes. If someone is sitting in an intersection looking down the street looking for cars, not at you in the Bike Lane or right hand lane, and pulls out on you, you are going to get hit in the side or you are going to hit them. You have no control over that none. Again, they come out fast. Very Fast.

To make sure I'm understanding, they're sitting at a side street and suddenly gun it when you ride by? Definitely a very dangerous situation.

There are no silver bullets, but there are definitely things you can do. In terms of equipment, daytime strobes can help in some situations. In terms of things you can do, subtle behavior and communication cues are your friend. Those who jump out tend to follow different movement patterns, and watching the drivers eyes can help. Ideally, you want to make eye contract where you can both tell you're acknowledging each others' presence. I often ride in the traffic lane even when there's a bike lane. One of the problems with being in a separate space is that you're out of sight/mind.

You are starting to get the idea. Wait until you try it in person.
We have our own equivalents.
Old 03-21-19, 02:14 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Well, it started out as a nice thread listing everybody's experiences. But it took just under two days before someone's opinion got challenged with the typical tone of " Then why are you cycling?"

And you know what happens with online discussions from there.
Old 03-21-19, 02:16 PM
phile

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Well, it started out as a nice thread listing everybody's experiences. But it took just under two days before someone's opinion got challenged with the typical tone of " Then why are you cycling?"

it ends in an organized orgy somewhere in the middle of a playground at 2 am? or is that just me?
Old 03-21-19, 02:16 PM
mjac

pity? oh you misunderstand me i do not pity you in fact i currently find you an insufferable woe is me type of person.
You say I got hit that is my problem not ours. I say I was was not seeking your pity or making it your problem. You say I am an insufferable woe because I point out the fact commuting during rush hour has its dangers and you should be aware of them and deal with them in your own way. Philosophy is not your strong suit I gather.

Old 03-21-19, 02:18 PM
phile

You say I got hit that is my problem not ours. I say I was was not seeking your pity or making it your problem. You say I am an insufferable woe because I point out the fact commuting during rush hour has its dangers and you should be aware of them and deal with them in your own way. Philosophy is not your strong suit I gather.

just like riding a bicycle in traffic isn't yours.
Old 03-21-19, 02:23 PM
mjac

To make sure I'm understanding, they're sitting at a side street and suddenly gun it when you ride by? Definitely a very dangerous situation.c

There are no silver bullets, but there are definitely things you can do. In terms of equipment, daytime strobes can help in some situations. In terms of things you can do, subtle behavior and communication cues are your friend. Those who jump out tend to follow different movement patterns, and watching the drivers eyes can help. Ideally, you want to make eye contract where you can both tell you're acknowledging each others' presence. I often ride in the traffic lane even when there's a bike lane. One of the problems with being in a separate space is that you're out of sight/mind.

We have our own equivalents.
The people in Portland have a degree of Civilization. The people in New Orleans do not have a degree of Civilization. Drunken Louts come to mind.
Old 03-21-19, 02:29 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by Daniel4

As an offender, I'll see if I can't help steer it back...
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Nothing really gets to me -- seriously.

There's nothing more futile than struggling against inevitability, in this case the cycling environment. Bad drivers, morons, difficult conditions, etc. are all part of that. Gotta find a way to embrace it.

To do otherwise is like taking up mountaineering and being unhappy because it's too much work, too dangerous, and too cold.
I get you, I think. I’m an optimistic cyclist ;-) However.... When I encounter imminent danger I’m not happy!
Sure. But genuine danger really is rare.

The bad part and good part of cycling are one and the same as far as I'm concerned. I actually prefer riding in crap weather to warm sunshine. Though truth be told, I'm not a fan of the slow herky jerky movement one expects in urban areas. Much more fun to just spin for miles. For many years, I had a commute like that.
Old 03-21-19, 02:30 PM
mjac

just like riding a bicycle in traffic isn't yours.
When if ever are you going ti catch on? I am the best at riding in traffic. The best. It is just that the drivers around here are so bad, so malicious, you can not compensate for them. No matter how good you are.

Whitewater Kayaking. No Cars.
Old 03-21-19, 02:31 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your reply. When I was composing my reply to your post, I tried to judge the “tenor” of your post,and choose the appropriate description. My first choice was “vehement,” but that seemed too strident.

Even now, I can’t think of another synonym, though perhaps “morbid” comes to mind. Nonetheless, I was acknowledging the gavity of your concerns.

The point of my reply was that I recognize the dangers of cycling, and anyone interested should be aware, and choose it of their own volition. If that’s the case, I certainly would advise as much as warranted from my extensive experience.

It seemed to me, that your post actively discouraged road cycling. FYA, IMO this was a pretty good thread (of many) on the subjectCommute by bike? But that's dangerous!.
You misunderstand the intent of my discussion. It is not to scare or discourage be morbid or be vehement. It is to bring attention to the fact that commuting on city streets in urban areas especially during peak traffic hours can be and is dangerous.

Just recognize that and take whatever personal precautions you see fit. Too many people have bought into the hype you can just glog along and be oblivious to what is going on around you and you will somehow be protected because you are on a bike. My personal choice is to avoid street riding. I don't trust the people driving cars. Getting hit by a car is not fun. Trust me
Considering the Venue as you suggested maybe I should Clarify. My concentration is not with experienced, veteran riders like yourselves. My drive is with the inexperienced, beginning rider and those who want to try the sport in an attempt to keep them out of trouble so they do try the sport, enjoy its many benefits and stay with it in order to grow the sport as much as possible.

These people go out on urban streets unprepared and not realizing the dangers and something happens they are not going to stay with the sport. And they will lose and we will loose.

I am just saying be aware of the dangers and find your own personal way of dealing with them. But they have to be dealt with,not ignored. I believe many of these deaths and injuries are with inexperienced riders and that hurts the sport.
FYA, I had posted to that thread I cited, “Commute by bike? But that's dangerous!”:.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago. The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

Of course I contend with their fears using many of those talking points as mentioned above ["Once again: Health VS Cycling Accidents" (link)]. One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles.

Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms (link) in my mind to keep me alert; e.g., “Like a weapon, consider every stopped car loaded, with an occupant ready to exit (from either side).”)

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts and Commonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching some happy-go-lucky student-type cyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing in traffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
Old 03-21-19, 02:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

In Europe, everyone has it by default.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.