Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Cheaper MTB for Tall Guy: Rockhopper Expert?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 01-31-22, 11:18 AM
bobin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Looking for advice on a XXL MTB. After a few months of searching around I think I've settled on a Specialized Rockhopper Expert in XXL. With two young kids I can't justify right now my dream of a Tallboy since I won't be going out as much as I used to. Anyone ridden the Expert? How's the geo? I'm 6'7".
Old 02-01-22, 05:52 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
the new geos should be good. I had one their older models but it was singlespeed specific w/ a eccentric bottom bracket. I ran that XL w/ a shorter stem....guess that's today's trend

with the modern Geo, make sure the seat post has enough length. They normally come 300 or 400mm length.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-01-22, 09:54 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Big boys need big bikes and getting stuck on the thought of having to try out bikes and/or buy something that someone in your area sells for warranty purposes could have you never riding a bike that actually fits. The biggest bikes out there aren't bikes that you can just go and buy from a shop generally, and you definitely need a big bike.

That aside, go for the biggest and most aggressive bike you can afford. Inevitable whatever you manage to get your hands on is something you will either upgrade or change for a different style of bike to suit the riding you want to do once you immerse yourself into the sport. I'm 6'5" and started off on a Scott Scale. It was more than fine until I started getting into more technical trails and then realised the bike was just too small for me to really enjoy riding. Fast forward a few years and I now have a Pole Taival and a custom made Duratec XC bike
Likes For brawlo:
Old 04-03-22, 10:47 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I'm 6'5" and finding bikes to fit is very difficult. You almost have to have them built for you. I ride older steel 10/12 speed drop bar roadbikes from the 80's because they actually made them big enough for me. My road frames vary from 66cm to 69cm. These bikes fit very well. I don't have a MTB bike at this time.

This is a 1980 Schwinn Sports Tourer made in Taiwan with a 28cm frame. Fits me very well. Bought used and modded to fit my riding style.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 04-03-22, 10:48 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Quote on picture should say 68cm size frame.