Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

MCL treatment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 12:04 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
MCL treatment.

Thought I share a picture of the Ortho Pedals https://www.orthopedal.com/ crank shorteners I installed for my knee rehab. A month ago at the local dog park I was blindsided by a labradoodle (?) with a preliminary diagnosis of a MCL (medial collateral ligament) sprain. My PCP said he had seen this injury many times in high school running backs and they usually resolve themselves in about six weeks. A 75 year old knee doesn’t resolve itself as quickly as a seventeen year old football player’s knee.
My beautiful Cannondale Topstone was only a few weeks old when I got injured, which added a bit of psychological pain to the situation. Even raising my saddle up 2+ inches I could only manage about half a crank rotation while the bike was on the trainer. I found the above crank shorteners online and my Sports Physical Therapist wife gave me the go ahead to order.

In the pedal position shown they shorten my 175mm cranks down to 99mm and with some pain and determination I started to pedal. A day later I dropped the saddle an inch. When the saddle is back to its original height and I can pedal freely I’ll start to move the pedals up the crank arms.

In short this seems to be working. MJ says the pain is from scar tissue being broken up and a sign of healing. The hope is to be ready and able to ride the Erie Canal this summer.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Likes For Western Flyer:
Old 03-01-22, 11:40 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I know everyone is waiting breathless for an update. Yesterday I moved my pedals up a notch. I now have an effective crank length of 116mm. It feels a little like pedaling a child's tricycle, but it is a bit of progress. Only 59 mm to go.

Old 03-01-22, 11:44 PM
Western Flyer 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I moved my pedals up a peg to 116mm. Only 59 mm to go for "full" recovery?

Old 03-02-22, 12:29 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
pretty neat solution.
Old 03-02-22, 02:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Pretty simple solution.

Do you find that you need significantly lower gearing? And are you using this only on a trainer with little resistance or on the road with normal mix of small hills?
Old 03-03-22, 12:50 PM
Western Flyer 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've only been on the trainer . My knee still feels a bit fragile but there's supposed to be some nice weather here in Portland OR and I hope to get out on a very flat map along the Willamette River. I do plan on changing out my 11-34 RD with an 11-40. With some effort and popping in the knee I raised the pedals up another notch. So there is progress which is personally uplifting.
Thanks for asking.

Old 03-05-22, 11:31 PM
Western Flyer 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
back in the saddle - sort of?

Put the pedals up another peg and rode the trainer for a couple of days . It felt pretty good so up to the last hole, approx 150mm. Gave it a try and then said what the hell and took the orthotics off and for the very first time installed my brand new Spank Spoons on where they belong. Very gingerly with my left heel on the pedal and managed one rotation and then another. Slowly moving my foot back until the ball was over the pedal axle. It felt really good and only a little painful. Today the bike came off the trainer and rode around the block. Tomorrow a longer ride along a flat MUP and see how we do. The knee is still tender and my left quad has visibly atrophied but things seem to be on the mend.