Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

which bike computer

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

which bike computer

Old 05-14-22, 11:54 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
which bike computer

I'm interested in getting a bike computer, but I' m undecided on which one to get.
My mean reason to get one, is to be able to view my heart rate, cadence and speed and down the road power maybe.
So I would be getting the HR cadence and speed sensors as well.

It seems the cheaper offerings from Breton have good reviews like the 320 model, but would end up costing about 250 or so. However I don't believe it is as refined as wahoo bolt v2.
Am I better of getting the bolt v2 or which is 400 and includes cadence, speed and HR sensor, and has better map functions. at this time I only ride in areas I know, but feel map function could be handy down the road.

What do you recommend ?

If your include all the sensors, the price difference is around 150

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 05-14-22 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-14-22, 12:24 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Hammerhead have been offering a HR monitor for free with their Karoo 2 for some time. You don't need any other sensors.

I'm a convert to the K2 from Garmin and really like it.

Old 05-14-22, 12:30 PM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Hammerhead have been offering a HR monitor for free with their Karoo 2 for some time. You don't need any other sensors.

I'm a convert to the K2 from Garmin and really like it.

I feel like cadence and speed sensors are of value
Old 05-14-22, 12:35 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I feel like cadence and speed sensors are of value
Yes, you don't need a speed sensor; the computer uses GPS. You don't need a cadence sensor if you use a power meter; it does that too.

Old 05-14-22, 06:34 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
I’ve been using a Garmin Edge 530 for a few years and really like it, not cheap at around $400 but it does all that stuff you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Perfor...07QHQ55TP?th=1
Old 05-14-22, 07:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver
I’ve been using a Garmin Edge 530 for a few years and really like it, not cheap at around $400 but it does all that stuff you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Perfor...07QHQ55TP?th=1
Less than that, I think they list at $300, can often be found for $250.
Old 05-14-22, 08:17 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Less than that, I think they list at $300, can often be found for $250.
Does that $250 include all the sensors and mounts, heart rate strap, etc, or is that just the unit?

Mine cost $400 but came with all the extras.
Old 05-14-22, 09:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by A350driver
Does that $250 include all the sensors and mounts, heart rate strap, etc, or is that just the unit?

Mine cost $400 but came with all the extras.
Mount yes, HR no, there are as you notes, bundles for that, raises the price.
Old 05-14-22, 10:07 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I like Garmin computers always have. I hate, hate, hate Garmin Connect. Did I mention I hate Garmin Connect.... oh and I hate Garmin Connect. So because of my unnatural over board hate of Garmin Connect, I use a Wahoo Elemnt Roam. Very nice system. I've used the original elemnt for about 5 yrs and then last yr I got a Roam. I use the Cadence Sensor on my shoe, so I can use that across multiple bikes and have the speed sensors on the front hub, works flawless.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-14-22 at 10:13 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-15-22, 05:30 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Bryton computers may good reviews as a computer. It's application may have some problems. IIRC, dcrainmaker has a couple of reviews of a couple of models. Also, I think their support is still in Taiwan, which might pose translation difficulties if you need support. When I bought a computer a few years ago, I didn't want to pay the prices for Garmin or Wahoo. I compared manuals between Lezyne, IGPSport, and Bryton and went with a Lezyne Macro which has served me well. The support has been good enough. My sensors a Blue/SC and TickrFit from Wahoo, which connect via BT. If I had it to do over, I suspect I'd have been better off with the 'Pro' model with both Ant+ and BT. For maps, the Mega XL is $200; speed, cadence, and HR from Lezyne total under $10o. For a round $100 more than the base computer price, I think you get speed, cadence, HR, and a tail light.
Old 05-15-22, 06:09 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I like Garmin computers always have. I hate, hate, hate Garmin Connect. Did I mention I hate Garmin Connect.... oh and I hate Garmin Connect. So because of my unnatural over board hate of Garmin Connect, I use a Wahoo Elemnt Roam. Very nice system. I've used the original elemnt for about 5 yrs and then last yr I got a Roam. I use the Cadence Sensor on my shoe, so I can use that across multiple bikes and have the speed sensors on the front hub, works flawless.
Ive used Connect for years, but only to send my data to and from RWGPS. Thus cannot hate it as I pretty much never use it.
Old 05-15-22, 06:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Ive used Connect for years, but only to send my data to and from RWGPS. Thus cannot hate it as I pretty much never use it.
Feel blessed. I truly believe garmin used 1st graders along with developers from government agencies. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but 1st graders might not have been involved, but if they had been, it would have worked better.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-15-22 at 07:01 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-16-22, 06:47 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
I use iGPSport, forget just which model at the moment, but I'm on my second one. Replaced the first one when I got a power meter. They are inexpensive, especially compared to Garmin, has the features I wanted: multi-bike support, cadence, heartrate, power, speed, gps. Has more features that I haven't used yet. Instructions could be better, and I don't use their app so I cannot speak to that. I download rides to my computer for analysis, and upload to Strava. Works for me.
Old 05-16-22, 07:53 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
I like my Wahoo Element Bolt, but it's the slightly older version without the color screen. It makes a difference for reading maps. The maps were better on my yet older Garmin Edge 510. OTOH, the Wahoo works great in every other respect, and so I haven't been able to justify replacing it.

If I were in the market now, I'd probably look at the Bolt, the Roam, and the Karoo. The Karoo Hammerhead looks great, though it's a little pricy.

I don't know if Garmin has improved their HRMs, but I found them finicky and unreliable. The Wahoo TICKR has been great.
As to cadence - that comes with your power meter IF your power meter is on the cranks or pedals.
Old 05-16-22, 08:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I like Garmin computers always have. I hate, hate, hate Garmin Connect. Did I mention I hate Garmin Connect.... oh and I hate Garmin Connect. .......
Garmin Connect as in the web site, or Garmin Connect Mobile App? I use to somewhat share your vitriol for both, and especially for the predecessor to the phone app Garmin Express. However since RideWithGPS can pull my ride information from Garmin Connect, presumably the website, it's not really an issue for me.

However to be truthful with my experience lately, the Garmin Connect Phone App has worked very well for me during the last two years and I do occasionally go to the Garmin Connect website to view some of my data in ways that RWGPS and Strava do not show well.

Still, what's up with Golf being so predominate and a main menu item both on the website and phone app, unlike cycling which I have to hunt for? I feel like it's elitism at its worst. <grin>
Old 05-16-22, 09:41 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Iride01
Garmin Connect as in the web site, or Garmin Connect Mobile App? I use to somewhat share your vitriol for both, and especially for the predecessor to the phone app Garmin Express. However since RideWithGPS can pull my ride information from Garmin Connect, presumably the website, it's not really an issue for me.

However to be truthful with my experience lately, the Garmin Connect Phone App has worked very well for me during the last two years and I do occasionally go to the Garmin Connect website to view some of my data in ways that RWGPS and Strava do not show well.

Still, what's up with Golf being so predominate and a main menu item both on the website and phone app, unlike cycling which I have to hunt for? I feel like it's elitism at its worst. <grin>
Well, my hatred began with the app, then migrated to the website, but I guess I can say I have less hate for the website. Now I will have to say that this hatred goes back before the phone app as you had to connect via your PC, so maybe that will put a little more clarity into it. It is quite possible that the new versions using the phone have made the process less painful and absolutely life sucking, but my hatred of it runs deep and I don't plan to venture that highway again.

Old 05-16-22, 11:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I can't offer advice on a specific GPS but I will say that I've had occasion to contact Garmin for customer help and they have been fantastic. You can actually get a phone number that will get you to a real person and they will help you. My interactions with their tech people have been the best.
Old 05-16-22, 10:43 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have had a 520 for five years no? Maybe longer? No complaints. Mrs. NoWhammies has the 530 and she really likes it. I am waiting for the 540 to come out (hopefully soon) so I can upgrade from my 520. After five years, while still good, the battery isn't what it used to be.
Old 05-17-22, 04:27 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Well, my hatred began with the app, then migrated to the website, but I guess I can say I have less hate for the website. Now I will have to say that this hatred goes back before the phone app as you had to connect via your PC, so maybe that will put a little more clarity into it. It is quite possible that the new versions using the phone have made the process less painful and absolutely life sucking, but my hatred of it runs deep and I don't plan to venture that highway again.
Bizarre.
Old 05-17-22, 07:37 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I've had a B&W Elemnt Bolt for ~5 years. Wife has one too and she uses a wheel sensor - I just use GPS. Great for tours (unfamiliar city navigation), plays nice with Strava, RWGPS & iPhone. Good battery life & recommended. Also have Garmin. I'd recommend Garmin for wearables (watches) and Wahoo for bike computers. Both have provided good customer service when needed - Garmin especially helpful in that area. The new Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (color) looks like a winner. Both are good companies but if you're on an iPhone, Wahoo has an edge in ease of use & simplicity.
Old 05-17-22, 08:14 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by veloz
I've had a B&W Elemnt Bolt for ~5 years. Wife has one too and she uses a wheel sensor - I just use GPS. Great for tours (unfamiliar city navigation), plays nice with Strava, RWGPS & iPhone. Good battery life & recommended. Also have Garmin. I'd recommend Garmin for wearables (watches) and Wahoo for bike computers. Both have provided good customer service when needed - Garmin especially helpful in that area. The new Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (color) looks like a winner. Both are good companies but if you're on an iPhone, Wahoo has an edge in ease of use & simplicity.
do you think it’s too much computer if you don’t use navigation, if so which do you recommend then?
Old 05-17-22, 08:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you don't really care about navigation, get a watch. It will do everything you want and be much more useful in other parts of your life. If you plan on getting a Varia in the future, it will need to be a Garmin watch unless you plan on running the Varia through a phone app. A watch is not as bike sexy as a dedicated bike computer, but it will work for you.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...armin-watches/
Old 05-17-22, 08:46 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by seypat
If you don't really care about navigation, get a watch. It will do everything you want and be much more useful in other parts of your life. If you plan on getting a Varia in the future, it will need to be a Garmin watch unless you plan on running the Varia through a phone app. A watch is not as bike sexy as a dedicated bike computer, but it will work for you.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...armin-watches/
i have the Apple Watch, I guess I need a ant + watch to integrate all the sensors ?
will we be able to see the cadence, heart rate, power and speed all at once ?

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 05-17-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Remember that just because it has a feature you don't think you want, doesn't mean you have to use that feature. I've used navigation once in the more than 2 years I've owned my Garmin Edge 530. I look at the map seldom. It's the other features and ability to use certain sensors that I like and use it for.

However I do wish it was a touch screen Edge 830 or the Edge 1030 plus. Touch screen just because it makes getting to all the other nifty features easier. Especially while riding.
Old 05-17-22, 09:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
i have the Apple Watch, I guess I need a ant + watch to integrate all the sensors ?
will we be able to see the cadence, heart rate, power and speed all at once ?
Look up the specs of your particular Apple watch. See what it does. See if it connects with the sensors you already have. You might need some new sensors. I have a Polar. It does all of that. I don't have a power meter, but it will work if I ever get one. You can get a handlebar mount for the watch if you don't want to look at it on your wrist. Go back to the link I provided. Look at what watches can do.

DC Rainmaker has very good reviews of products, also.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Last edited by seypat; 05-17-22 at 09:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.