Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur trouble downshifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 08:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts

Hey guys, today i finally got around to getting a new tire for my fastest road bike thats been sitting outside for a few months, and now the front deraileur is having issues. The bike started in the granny gear (have a tripple) and when trying to shift up there was a lot of resistance which I pushed through. Then when shifting down the derailleur wouldn't move, id have to kick it to get it to manually shift. the cable seemed really lose, so i tightened that black plastic nut and it didn't resolve the problem. Now when downshifting the derailure moves, but I have to force the downshift and im worried about damaging the components. My favorite bike shop is closed until tuesday, but I want to do a fast group ride tomorrow with my newly fixed racing bike. They stay in the big ring for almost all of it, but I would like to use my little dudes for some of the hills because im heavy.

My question is, would "forcing" the shifts on the front potentially damage the components to where a simple adjustment by an expert doesn't fix the problem? This bike really hates cross chaining, I really need to shift the front down to avoid that, but which would be more damaging to the bike? Thanks
Old 06-18-22, 09:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Clue #1: your bike has been sitting out for months
Clue#2 It takes a lot of effort to shift from a smaller ring to a larger ring
Clue# 3 Shifts from a larger ring to a smaller ring are hesitant(to say the least)
Maybe cable friction due to cable corrosion has something to do with this problem
Old 06-19-22, 07:59 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 368 Posts
I’d start by lubricating the cable if possible and lubricating all pivot points on the derailleur.
Likes For bboy314: