Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you hate ALL MUPs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you hate ALL MUPs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 09:24 AM
hoodat

Bikes: Worksman Port o trike, Cozy cargo trike; both electric.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very few walkers on MUPs around here. Joggers or runners are more likely than walkers. When you get close to military bases you see a lot of Marine and Navy runners but these are serious runners who seldom wear ear buds and are respectful of bikers. Mostly young athletic guys in their prime so they are aware of their surroundings. Give them space and they will return the favor. Skateboarders and skaters are prohibited thank God but you will often encounter them where a MUP breaks to go through a beach community. That's when things get jumbled. Better slow to a crawl when you go through those places.
Old 11-03-15, 11:54 AM
Bikerdave222

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek 1, 1995 Mongoose Alta, 2002 Raleigh M80, 2014 Scott Metrix 40, 1999 Trek 820

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate them because we have to share them with pedestrians. If pedestrians would simply pay attention and walk on the right side of the MUP all would be fine but we all know that is not the case. They walk all over and have no idea as to what is going on around them. I think pedestrians are dangerous to cyclist. At least we are on the right side of the road and paying attention.
Old 11-03-15, 12:36 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
LOL and good article! It's a constant tug-of-war. Op Ed piece hating fast bikers on the MUPs and bike trails; then another hating the bikes on the roads... Never going to please everybody.
Tru dat, though I have yet to see any biker cussing out pedestrians on MUPs, fast or not, in this area - which was one of the author's biggest complaints.
Old 11-03-15, 01:12 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Tru dat, though I have yet to see any biker cussing out pedestrians on MUPs, fast or not, in this area - which was one of the author's biggest complaints.
I have seen it in Minneapolis - mostly bike-to-bike aggression - and I find it maddening. I watch a TT rider yell at a family to get out of the way as he goes past a busy storefront on the Midtown Greenway, they didn't "jump" in front of him, the TT rider had all the time in the world to slow and react, he just didn't want to.

We got yelled at early this spring, rider yelled "ON YOUR LEFT!!" twice - well, I'm not moving on to the icy patch so you and your flapping jacket can inch past us. SMH.
Old 11-03-15, 02:13 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dipy911
I love MUPs when is is under 45 degrees or above 100 degrees as I have the entire trail to myself.
The one near me is actually a good place to do flat intervals in the winter, when no one is out. Even has markers every quarter mile.
Old 11-03-15, 02:19 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
For all the MUP haters that post here that whine about people being in their way, there are probably 10 drivers that say the same thing about them when they are on the street. Why are people so self centered that they think everyone should get out of their way?
Hey, I'm important!

Old 11-03-15, 02:46 PM
waterfish_21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Lots of very specific ages of people you passed. You should be one of those carnies that guess the ages of people.
Yeah, i would love to be. From your number of posts, join date, and picture ( not even assuming its you), all this scientific data I will guess you are 35 years old.

Was I close? ?? , within 30 years ?
Old 11-03-15, 03:11 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by waterfish_21
Yeah, i would love to be. From your number of posts, join date, and picture ( not even assuming its you), all this scientific data I will guess you are 35 years old.

Was I close? ?? , within 30 years ?
Dead on.
Old 11-04-15, 07:15 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Hey, I'm important!
You're Speshul, Ed!

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 11-05-15, 09:37 AM
FlatFender

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the MUP. Here in Raleigh my neighborhood connects to 112 miles of the Capital Area Greenway which in my opinion is mostly phenomenal.

However, last night my wife and I were doing a quick out and back, and no sooner than I heard the whiz of a 2-stroke engine did we almost get a head on crash with a 4 wheeler tearing down the trail. Seriously considering a headlight even for MUP riding in the evening now.

The trail has things that keep vehicles from making it across bridges, but I guess some folks still find a way onto the trail.
Old 11-05-15, 09:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by FlatFender
I like the MUP. Here in Raleigh my neighborhood connects to 112 miles of the Capital Area Greenway which in my opinion is mostly phenomenal.

However, last night my wife and I were doing a quick out and back, and no sooner than I heard the whiz of a 2-stroke engine did we almost get a head on crash with a 4 wheeler tearing down the trail. Seriously considering a headlight even for MUP riding in the evening now.

The trail has things that keep vehicles from making it across bridges, but I guess some folks still find a way onto the trail.
I was in your area last week on business (spend most of the time in RTP). The roads I saw in the area would keep me on the MUPs, high speeds and little on-road bike-infra. BTW - I highly recommend lights for on MUPs just like on roads, it helps other trail users (legal or illegal) see you and when you cross roads and driveways it will be easier for the drivers to notice you.
Old 11-05-15, 10:20 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't. We have a nice one across the way from our velodrome. It's only about mile, but it has 3 defined lanes:
Slow/Walk
Roller Blades
Fast Bikes.

Yeah, some people seem to have trouble reading. But it's a nice "track" and very close to home.
Old 11-05-15, 10:25 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree - I highly recommend lights for night riding on MUPs. Don't use blinky mode though - that's a common complaint in my area. Blinking lights (headlights and helmet lights) are meant to be used in daytime - at night they won't help you see what you need to see, and they irritate other cyclists and trail users.

I would also advise you report you concerns to whatever authorities are responsible for maintaining the MUP you use. National Park Service is responsible for Mt. Vernon Trail in my area, and other MUPs fall under the jurisdiction of a particular city or county. Here we have bollards (some people call them "short poles') which keep cars, trucks, etc. from entering MUPs. . Maybe your MUP has a busted bollard somewhere or needs them installed. Bollards, Gates, and Other Barriers - Guidance - Recreational Trails - Environment - FHWA
Old 11-05-15, 11:00 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I hate most of them because for the most part, people are complete idiots.

Taken on the local campus, with a pedestrian sidewalk 10 feet away from the dedicated bike path. Even with very visible signage, people still manage to be dumber than a box of rocks. Add in the distraction of phones and MP3 players and you have what I call the White Cord Zombie - aimlessly walking around distracted by everything but their surroundings.
Old 11-05-15, 11:29 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Apart from the Tour racers,cellphone talkers,earbud wearers,dog walkers with 10 foot leashes,joggers running 3 abreast...I love them!
Old 11-05-15, 11:37 AM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On fair weather days I avoid the city MUPs like the plague because they can get so crowded that they are just not pleasurable to ride at all. On days when the weather is less than fair they are almost deserted and they can be a great way to get from A to B without dealing with road traffic.

Out in the Fraser Valley however, there are dozens of MUPs that are great to ride pretty much any time and add up to thousands of kms. Once you get out a few kms from the trail heads the pedestrians pretty much drop right off and the trails are wide open. Depending on the area, we have to watch out for the odd horse here and there.
Old 11-05-15, 01:52 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Attached Images
Old 11-05-15, 04:12 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I was in your area last week on business (spend most of the time in RTP). The roads I saw in the area would keep me on the MUPs, high speeds and little on-road bike-infra. BTW - I highly recommend lights for on MUPs just like on roads, it helps other trail users (legal or illegal) see you and when you cross roads and driveways it will be easier for the drivers to notice you.
There are some roads out near Lake Jordan that are good for bicycles. They don't have bike lanes, but they're not that busy, and they see a lot of bicycle traffic.

GH
Old 11-05-15, 04:53 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

because muppets are evil. Oh wait . . . never mind.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-05-15, 11:20 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
I like them when they are vacant, but most of time you have to ride slow constantly dodging pets, runners, and the occasional maintenance crews.
Old 11-06-15, 07:18 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish we had some MUP's here on the treasure coast. I don't feel the need to go fast all the time. I love taking out the comfort hybrid and leisurely cruising in a pretty place on a pretty day looking at pretty scenery and pretty people.
Old 11-06-15, 06:42 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a few I like to ride close to home. They are technically horse trails, but I've yet to see a single horse ever so it's heaven!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1086.jpg (98.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-09-15, 08:39 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Well, I had my serious accident on a MUP yesterday. Had a near head on collision with a lady cyclist who was on the wrong side of the MUP around a blind curve. I got broadsided and thrown off my bike. Probably looking at about $250 damage to the bike and several scrapes and bruises to me. The lady was riding a heavy cruiser and rode away without a scratch.

Soooo do I hate MUP's? No. I had plenty of near misses on the road too. This was just an expensive and painful reminder there are no safe places.
Old 11-10-15, 04:25 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Busy MUPs are dangerous because of unpredictability. Avoid those.
Old 11-11-15, 08:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by wunderkind
Busy MUPs are dangerous because of unpredictability. Avoid those.
This is not a rule everywhere. Minneapolis has some very busy MUPs, like the Midtown Greenway. Like a busy highway, traffic flows with a logic. There are always going to be a couple a**holes that think they don't have to play by the rules.

On the other hand, if I were riding a busy MUP out in the 'burbs I would totally agree with your statement.

Reference pic of the Midtown Greenway (not my photo), this is typical traffic, I can't find a 'busy' picture.