Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi ID help, please.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi ID help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 11:05 AM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
"Bianchi" ID help, please.

I picked this up as a project for a buddy. Some of the details on the frame are nice, like the seat stay caps and the cutout lugs. The sticker on the top tube would suggest a 1975 vintage, That being said, I could find no serial number and the BB shell is different from what I would expect to see on a Bianchi.

Last edited by Ungaro; 10-18-21 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 02:33 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Bianchi frames of this apparent level and era typically have the serial number stamped on the front of the top head lug. Later, they used the seat lug and BB shell, but I'm not seeing anything in the usual locations. However, assuming it is a Bianchi, it would be one of the Rekord 74x variants.

That CdM decal was used from the 1974 model year through the rest of the 1970s. The Calibrati 1-20 decal indicates a lightweight , hi-tensile steel and was used on the entry level models and also some of the lower-mid-range models through circa 1978, before Columbus introduced Aelle. Perhaps you should verifiy the seat post diameter, to ensure it is consistent with that used on the Calibrati 1-20 tubesets.

Offhand, I don't recall seeing those lug or BB cutouts on Bianchi. Also, I'm used to seeing Bianchi branded dropouts and not ones marked Gipiemme, at least not this early.
Old 10-18-21, 04:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
It’s a bit old for me, I think, but I agree is doesn’t look Bianchiish. I believe that Tubi Calbrati 120 means HiTen tubing but those dropouts would say otherwise.

Do you know the BB threading or seatpost size?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-18-21, 04:15 PM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
T-Mar:
Yeah, a lot going on that point to something other than a Bianchi. Never seen a BB shell cut out like that on one, and no serial#. IF it IS a repaint/rebrand, it was done a long time ago. Might just tell my pal to keep it patinaed as is until we can positively ID the frame. Good news is that it came with Nuovo Record hubs, 3ttt stem and seatpost. The seatpost is the type with the separate tilt adjustment bolt. So, there's that.
Old 10-18-21, 04:16 PM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It’s a bit old for me, I think, but I agree is doesn’t look Bianchiish. I believe that Tubi Calbrati 120 means HiTen tubing but those dropouts would say otherwise.

Do you know the BB threading or seatpost size?
Trina, I haven't opened it up yet. I agree, sizing will winnow out a lot.
Old 10-18-21, 05:44 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
As I am not the Bianchi expert at the knowledge level of either T-Mar or Bianchigirll I was interested to see the 'Campione Del Mondo' decal on the frame. This would, in my mind, describe the model as a 'Campione Del Mondo' but I am more used to seeing 08's Bianchi frames and this frame does suggest a 1960/70 era (more than likely 1970's) frame of which I know little about. As others have suggested, this frame does look to be a mid to lower end frame. A 'Campione Del Mondo' model could possibly fit into that section of the model range as the 1980's Campione Del Mondo's are mid level.

As also described, it could be a re-painted frame too. The lack of any normal Bianchi brandings is unusual in my mind too. The 'Campione Del Mondo' decal is located in a really strange position on the frame being on the top tube and this, to me, would also strengthen the very real possibility that this frame has both been re-painted and re-branded. It does look like a nice frame all the same. I wonder if a previous owner re-painted the frame to look like a Bianchi but purposely miss-placed a decal so as not to try to confuse this frame with an original Bianchi?

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 10-18-21 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 06:12 PM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Gary, the Campione del Mondo sticker is often confused for the name of the model. It was used as a marketing tool to tout the 1973 & 1974 World Championship titles won on a Bianchi. The placement of the sticker is actually accurate for a Record model, but the frame exhibits different characteristics than that of a Record. As I can't find any tell tale Bianchi markings on it, (and I've looked in all the places), I'm thinking it's a repaint/rebrand. Maybe the guy always wanted a Bianchi? Who can tell. I'd be interested to see how many have seen this diamond shaped cut out on the BB shell.
Old 10-19-21, 07:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
As noted by the OP, the Campione del Mondo decal was a marketing tool. However, the 1973-74 designation does not refer to multiple World Championship titles but a single victory. In this case, it was Felice Gimondi's win in the pro/elite road race held at Barcelona on September 02, 1973. The UCI World Championships for road and track are typcially held over a week long period near the end of the season, generally at the end of August and/or beginning of September. Consequently, the World Champion's reign actually spans two calendar years. In this case, Gimondi was World Champion from September 02 1973 until the 1974 race held August 25, in Montreal (I saw that one, in person). This why the CdM decal says 1973-1974.

Most manufacturers, especially the European brands who sponsor pro teams, introduce the new models very soon after the World Championships, so they can take marketing advantage of any success. While Bianchi did have a Campione Del Mondo model during this era, all the models bore this decal through the remainder of the 1970s. They were placed on the front of the seat tube, top of the down tube or top of the seat tube. For instance , attached is a 1974 catalogue photo of a condorino style, light touring model, with the Campione del Mondo decal in the same position as the OP's friend's bicycle.

I'd be surprised if the bicycle has other than Italian threading, given the Gipiemme dropouts. During the apparent era, Gipemme dropouts were not widely used outside Italy. The seat post diameter will confirm if the tubing wall thickness is at least consistent with Bianchi's Calibrati 1-20 tubeset.

Old 10-19-21, 09:43 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
I've seen a similar bottom bracket cutout on an early Guerciotti, and another gentleman pointed me to another bicycle, a Bonvicini, with that same cutout.
Guerciotti, early '70's:

Old 10-19-21, 10:26 AM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
I've seen a similar bottom bracket cutout on an early Guerciotti, and another gentleman pointed me to another bicycle, a Bonvicini, with that same cutout.
Guerciotti, early '70's:
Thank you for that pic!

Maurice
Old 10-19-21, 05:25 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Thanks guy's for the Campione del Mondo information.