Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grade = incline, decline website comparing cities

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-30-21, 09:32 PM
Befitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have 2 single-speed, non-fixie bicycles, they have different gear ratios. I would like to allocate 1 bike to Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico and the other bike to Liege, Wallonia, Belgium.

Does anyone know of at least 1 website that shows the grade percentage of a city, compares 2 cities?

Last edited by Befitter; 11-30-21 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typing mistake
Old 12-01-21, 06:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
You could probably get an idea from Strava Heatmap. FWIW, it's not too difficult to change the gearing if it doesn't suit the roads you actually ride.
Old 12-01-21, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Topographic maps have been doing that for centuries.

​​​​​​https://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/q7cx/Rosarito/

​​​​​​https://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/wfcb/Li%C3%A8ge/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-01-21, 08:11 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Befitter
Hello Everyone,

I have 2 single-speed, non-fixie bicycles, they have different gear ratios. I would like to allocate 1 bike to Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico and the other bike to Liege, Wallonia, Belgium.

Does anyone know of at least 1 website that shows the grade percentage of a city, compares 2 cities?
Couldn't tell you about Rosarito, but the hills around Liège (Luik in Flemish) on both sides of the Meuse (Maas) river are sporty on a geared bike, some of the climbs average 10% with sections pitching up to near 20%. What kind of grades are you accustomed to climbing already?
Old 12-01-21, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
I can't imagine how the average grade for something like a city would be useful. Nor do I know where that might be published. Averages might never be encountered.

Like others, I just suggest you look at the possible routes you might want to ride on RideWithGPS, Strava, Garmin Connect, MapMyRide and many other places that let you create your own routes. They'll show you both the average grade of that route and the maximum grade you'll encounter. And there'll be a elevation profile of the ride that you can look at to show you everywhere that you might have an easy time pedaling or a hard time pedaling.

If you don't know where to ride in those places, then they also have heat maps that show you where others ride. Or you can just browse routes and rides of others that have made them public.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-01-21, 10:00 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
There are websites/apps (such as gmap-pedometer.com — https://www.gmap-pedometer.com) where you can click and create a route virtually anywhere on the planet and it will give you the incline/elevation info fr that route. But it’s only on the route you create…not an average for the area.

Dan
Old 12-01-21, 10:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ Agreed. Average is the wrong concept. More of a histogram that shows distribution about the median grade on the independent (horizontal) axis, and the steepness of the grade in % on the dependent axis. The grade length would need to be fixed for measurements, because a rolling average would round off the steeper/more-rapidly changing sections. So, it'd be distribution function of grades relative to other grades. This would give a picture of the roadways within a city. It'd be a lot of measuring to do, though.
Old 12-01-21, 10:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Are you talking about short trips just riding around each city, or the surrounding topography?

John
Old 12-01-21, 11:27 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You could do this in ArcGIS Pro - load the DEM/Topo/whatever into spatial analyst
Old 12-01-21, 11:31 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Couldn't tell you about Rosarito, but the hills around Liège (Luik in Flemish) on both sides of the Meuse (Maas) river are sporty on a geared bike, some of the climbs average 10% with sections pitching up to near 20%. What kind of grades are you accustomed to climbing already?
I was thinking the same thing. Having driven through Liege a few years ago, I have the impression that it’s a city best experienced on a geared bike. With a single speed, I’d want something like 39x18 or 42x20 gears. You can always coast down hills (fixed gear would not be recommended there).

I’m not aware of a website that gives average slope figures for a given city, and certainly not one that compares two cities in this way. It would be cool, though.

A few other places I would want a geared bike: Glasgow, Scotland and Seoul, ROK. Single speeds and fixed gears work in places like Miami, Houston, or Cologne (Köln), Germany.

Last edited by Broctoon; 12-01-21 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-01-21, 12:20 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
You could do this in ArcGIS Pro - load the DEM/Topo/whatever into spatial analyst
This is the right idea, but will require a high level of technical expertise.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
... be a lot of measuring to do, though.
Not really; not with the right tools, anyway. The availability of the data may be another story. The USGS maintains the 'US NED', or National Elevation Dataset; I'm not sure if such data is as readily available for the rest of the globe. The roads data, even with Open Street Maps, may further require a bit of advanced manipulation.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-01-21, 12:30 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Get a SA X-RD 3. Does 10% hills for me and I certainly don't have now the lowest GIs, 48 to 84.
I did 3 mile centuries in 2 weeks last Sept. on a 42 lbs + load old CCM, EASY.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-08-21 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-01-21, 12:33 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
My limited experience, from a car, of the road from Tijuana down to Rosarito, and a day spent around Rosarito, is that the area is generally pretty flat and could easily be negotiated on any fixed gear bike. Strava seems to bear this out, with no categorized climbs inside the downtown area, and shortish, gradual climbs (</=2km, </=6%) to the uphill areas to the north. It definitely seems from other responses that Liege would have the greater need for lower gears.
Old 12-02-21, 12:05 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by Leinster
It definitely seems from other responses that Liege would have the greater need for lower gears.
And at least one rider with a bit of experience...unless the OP is intending to ride up and down the river (which is possible, and then a SS or FXD would work fine).
Old 12-02-21, 01:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I rode the Rosarito-Ensenada ride a couple of times in the 1970s-'80s and it was mostly rollers, nothing too steep or long. Pretty much like my area in north central Texas. Strava will probably have some segments mapped out with reliable terrain/gradient estimates.

And, FWIW, the Mexicali-San Felipe ride on the Gulf coast side of Baja is pretty much pancake flat. Huge differences in terrain and economy from the Pacific coast side of Baja, at least back then. Haven't been back in decades though.
Old 12-03-21, 04:16 AM
Befitter

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Happy Holidays 2021

Hello Badger6,

I am accustomed to riding up to 30% grades. I figured out which bicycle will go where :0) I hope Rosarito & Liège will have the parts I need, if not then hope eBay can deliver there.
Merci, gracias, thank you

Originally Posted by Badger6
Likes For Befitter:
Old 12-03-21, 04:31 AM
Befitter

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Merci, Gracias, Thank You Everyone

I figured out which bicycle will go where :0) I hope Rosarito & Liège will have the parts I need, if not then hope eBay can deliver there
Old 12-03-21, 08:22 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Befitter
Hello Badger6,

I am accustomed to riding up to 30% grades. I figured out which bicycle will go where :0) I hope Rosarito & Liège will have the parts I need, if not then hope eBay can deliver there.
Merci, gracias, thank you
No worries. The steepest parts of the area are the climbs from the river, after that it is just a lot of gently rolling with the occasional wall ("muur"). It is very windy here, less so in Liège, but not by much. That may actually be worse than the grades.
Old 12-03-21, 09:36 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I rode the Rosarito-Ensenada ride a couple of times in the 1970s-'80s and it was mostly rollers, nothing too steep or long. Pretty much like my area in north central Texas. Strava will probably have some segments mapped out with reliable terrain/gradient estimates.

And, FWIW, the Mexicali-San Felipe ride on the Gulf coast side of Baja is pretty much pancake flat. Huge differences in terrain and economy from the Pacific coast side of Baja, at least back then. Haven't been back in decades though.
I have also completed that ride a few times Rosarito Ensenada
It has a 300m climb with grades that reach like 8% for a few of the 80k route
Likes For joesch:
Old 12-03-21, 07:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
I have also completed that ride a few times Rosarito Ensenada
It has a 300m climb with grades that reach like 8% for a few of the 80k route
I had to read some recent descriptions of the Rosarito-Ensenada to refresh my memory, and, sure nuff, they do describe a couple of sorta steep-ish hills a couplafew hundred yards in length. I barely remember any hills.

Although I do remember Bill Walton steadily chugging past me on a hill, riding his ridiculously tall bike. That was the season he was mostly recuperating from injuries and surgeries while he was with the Clippers. I didn't want to be an annoying fanboy so I didn't say anything, but I remember being impressed by how well he climbed for such a big guy.

But that's the difference between being 64 now and, back then, 20something in top physical fitness. I also played a lot of racquetball (because Southern California in the 1970s, natch), boxed amateur (not a sport to be approached casually, since the consequences of doing it badly are never casual), and cycling around 100 miles a week between commuting and recreational riding. So I didn't notice hills that would leave me huffing and puffing now, even though I work harder now to retain a semblance of fitness.

Now that I think about it, there were some steep hills around San Diego that taxed my abilities, even by the standards of my peak fitness years. I remember one particular climb along my usual commute that I *thought* was climbing at a pretty good clip. But one morning a fellow blew by me looking like he was just casually loafing up that double digit grade. He was more muscular and heavier, while I was built like a climber (5'11", 140 lbs back then) -- but I never really had a climber's lungs (some lung scarring from bouts with pneumonia as a kid).

But I've learned over the years that the muscular guys built like sprinters often do very well on short, steep climbs, although they'll slow down on steep climbs after about 1/4 mile, so if I persist I'll catch up and occasionally pass them even now in my 60s when I still keep my weight around 150. One local roadie group I've ridden with includes a former Olympic level sprinter who's still a phenomenal natural athlete, although he's at least 75 lbs over his optimal weight, maybe even 100 lbs overweight. But he's only in his 40s or 50s, hard to tell because he has that ageless kind of appearance. He'll fly by me on most short, steep climbs, but if the climb is continuous longer than 400 yards I'll catch him. But he still has incredible recuperative ability from years of sprints and interval work, so it takes him less than 30 seconds to get infinite second winds. What, me jealous? Yup. Dang right.
Old 12-03-21, 09:42 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I had to read some recent descriptions of the Rosarito-Ensenada to refresh my memory, and, sure nuff, they do describe a couple of sorta steep-ish hills a couplafew hundred yards in length. I barely remember any hills.

Although I do remember Bill Walton steadily chugging past me on a hill, riding his ridiculously tall bike. That was the season he was mostly recuperating from injuries and surgeries while he was with the Clippers. I didn't want to be an annoying fanboy so I didn't say anything, but I remember being impressed by how well he climbed for such a big guy.

But that's the difference between being 64 now and, back then, 20something in top physical fitness. I also played a lot of racquetball (because Southern California in the 1970s, natch), boxed amateur (not a sport to be approached casually, since the consequences of doing it badly are never casual), and cycling around 100 miles a week between commuting and recreational riding. So I didn't notice hills that would leave me huffing and puffing now, even though I work harder now to retain a semblance of fitness.

Now that I think about it, there were some steep hills around San Diego that taxed my abilities, even by the standards of my peak fitness years. I remember one particular climb along my usual commute that I *thought* was climbing at a pretty good clip. But one morning a fellow blew by me looking like he was just casually loafing up that double digit grade. He was more muscular and heavier, while I was built like a climber (5'11", 140 lbs back then) -- but I never really had a climber's lungs (some lung scarring from bouts with pneumonia as a kid).

But I've learned over the years that the muscular guys built like sprinters often do very well on short, steep climbs, although they'll slow down on steep climbs after about 1/4 mile, so if I persist I'll catch up and occasionally pass them even now in my 60s when I still keep my weight around 150. One local roadie group I've ridden with includes a former Olympic level sprinter who's still a phenomenal natural athlete, although he's at least 75 lbs over his optimal weight, maybe even 100 lbs overweight. But he's only in his 40s or 50s, hard to tell because he has that ageless kind of appearance. He'll fly by me on most short, steep climbs, but if the climb is continuous longer than 400 yards I'll catch him. But he still has incredible recuperative ability from years of sprints and interval work, so it takes him less than 30 seconds to get infinite second winds. What, me jealous? Yup. Dang right.
Bill Walton was an all star NBA player and dominated college basketball at UCLA.
He is also an avid cyclist an has a custom Holland bike with a Greatful Dead paint job.
Joe Bell painting is also done Holland shop, some of the best bike paint jobs.
Bill would be a good draft, Id love to ride his side and chat some miles.

Here is another thread where I posted some pictures and more details on Bill Walton's bike and paintjob https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l#post22293544

Last edited by joesch; 12-04-21 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-08-21, 01:44 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
^run across bill walton 2-4x a year...usually in the balboa park or la jolla area. pretty hard to miss as he's
anywhere from 6'9" to 7'0" after the dozens of surgeries and def stands out on the orange/yellow/holland bike.
he was emceeing the laguna (mtns) challenge in the local san diego mtns for a spell but that was before the giggle fest of the last two years.
awesome cycling ambassador.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1981/12/0...ll-as-on-court