Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rusty Bike- Electrolysis Rust Removal & Nickel Plating?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-21, 02:47 PM
corabora4

Bikes: Gazelle (working on further ID)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has used electrolysis rust removal on bike parts to restore an older bike? I've seen chemicals you can buy that cost a lot of money or the aluminum + vinegar scrubbing method.

Electrolysis only requires salt, water, some wires, and a battery. Then you wash and voila, rust is gone without scrubbing the rust off. Then using electrolysis again, you can plate your metal with nickel or zinc so it doesn't rust.

I've seen people use this technique on vintage metal things, but not on bikes. I'm curious if any of y'all have experience trying this method for bikes or any tips.
Old 12-30-21, 03:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Apparently you don't even need a tank?

You need to prep the surface to 'super smooth" prior to plating, so what's the point in dipping a frame in a SALT SOLUTION when you need mechanical means anyway?
Old 12-30-21, 10:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
You use washing soda/soda ash/sodium carbonate not salt for electrolysis rust removal.
generally rebar or other sacrificial steel for the anode.
Tank can be any non metallic container or for large items kiddie pool or wood frame and plastic sheeting,
You're going to want to use a battery charger not a battery.

You don't see it on bikes much because if the rust is that bad the frame is usually going to be junk. Mostly gets used on heavier thicker items, not thin wall bicycle tubing

Last edited by dedhed; 12-30-21 at 10:42 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-08-22, 07:18 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Carcinogenic chromium hexavalent.........
Old 01-13-22, 09:28 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I am with Bill. Under the rust is a rough, porous steel surface. Unless you get the electrolytically reduced surface super-smooth, pore-free, and clean, it's going to look like crap and rust almost instantly, even after electroplating. Patience, attention to detail, and lots of careful sanding and filling are still the most important tools in doing a restoration of anything steel that will look good and last. I really have to admire people who restore old bikes, motorbikes, cars, planes, etc. but to tell the truth, I would rather be riding, making or refinishing something in wood, or playing with my trains.

oldschoolbike
Old 01-13-22, 11:47 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Is Electrolysis better than Evapo-Rust? Let's find out!

Looks like it would work great. Just need to find something bike enough for your bike frame and parts.
Old 01-14-22, 08:23 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Any rust removal is temporary. The plating has been compromised.