Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you always build bikes with complete originality?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you always build bikes with complete originality?

Old 01-11-22, 04:48 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 540 Posts
I’ll buck the trend - I do try to keep my old bikes original. If I wanted something that worked like a modern bike I would buy a modern bike. To me, it’s like putting a fuel injected modern 4 cylinder engine into a Model T. Some people indeed do this but it’s not for me.

Old stuff old, new stuff new…
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 01-11-22, 04:58 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I try to keep groupsets intact. And there are three things I will never put on my classic bikes : threadless stems, black groupsets, and black spokes.
Trifecta!

Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 01-11-22, 05:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
You are far too generous regarding my quips...they would not be worthy of an additional day, much less a week! Maybe the Poconos....

What I thought interesting were the up-charges. Were they the difference in the upgrade or were the prices for the full cost of the items? Was the Gold cluster the freewheel? Plus, I find it really interesting that the gum hoods (which would be worth $30-40 now) were NC, but the seatpost bolt was $1.95.

Do you still have that bike, by the way? That receipt is a cool piece of history.
Prices included "trade-in", so just upgrade. Gold cluster is the freewheel. If I could go back in time I'd buy up lots of all that.

Unfortunately, I don't have the bike. I sold it in my early 20's to upgrade to a Team Fuji. I do have one picture of the Raleigh Super Course Mk II:

Rosebud

Last edited by gugie; 01-11-22 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-11-22, 05:56 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Simply put, unless you start with a bike in exceptionally good shape and fitted with all of the original components, chances are the cost to restore will be very high. This recently acquired Trek came to me in 100% original and very little used condition. All it needs is cleaning, greasing and new bar tape to call it "restored" but this is an unusual find...

For me, I strive to complete accurate restorations but rarely succeed. When I build a bike I call the end product a "street restoration" meaning close to the mark but not bang on. This old Legnano all but demands new paint and art but I have resisted changing it. It is "as found" cosmetically but now sports some Legnano specific components. "Street restored" with upgrades would be the best description...

My Rabeneick, purchased as a frame/fork set, is as close restored as I could afford and I should add that I do all of the work myself. This one sports close to correct decals, period correct components and a close to original rattle can paint job scheme as I could manage myself...

This one came to me complete with all original components but everything was, to say the least, cosmetically challenged. I tried my best to keep period and model correct with component choices, however, I did install a better saddle and a Velox transmission, a model or two higher that original issue. I also purchased and applied the closest decal set I could get. And, I painted it with a brush...
Old 01-11-22, 06:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
To be honest, I do see the value in having a completely original bike, but it really depends on the bike. I have a fairly rare Peugeot PH-60. It bothers me that the tail light isn't correct. I need to fix that someday.

Old 01-11-22, 06:17 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Prices included "trade-in", so just upgrade. Gold cluster is the freewheel. If I could go back in time I'd buy up lots of all that.

Unfortunately, I don't have the bike. I sold it in my early 20's to upgrade to a Team Fuji. I do have one picture of the Raleigh Super Course Mk II:

Rosebud
And after the new steam

Old 01-11-22, 06:18 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
NO: I bought my Treviso as a frameset (with bottom bracket) in 1986. By 1993, it was sporting a dog’s breakfast of components bought from whatever my favourite LBS had on hand and/or what I could afford.

HECK NO: There were also a few single speed iterations from 2000 to 2015 that we don’t talk about.

YES: I had the frame restored just before the pandemic with the goal of matching the “original” catalogue spec from 1985. I have collected all the required period-correct parts (give or take a generation), but I yet have to build it up.

Old 01-11-22, 06:20 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
On bikes I have built and ride I do tend to balance "form follows function" with "in the style of" . Cartridge bottom brackets all around though.

In the project pile there are a couple few that will be built up as "period correct", but "tastefully" upgraded with bits I've been collecting, so the Super Course "box" has a Suntour Vx group, a 5 speed wheel set with Campy hubs, Mafac racers, a 52-36t cottered crankset, shorty fenders, TA cages and an old saddle bag and hoop. I'll try an bring the original Brooks back to service, but just to save buying a new one.

One thing that I've got lined up for every potential "keeper" is a compact crankset of some sort.
Old 01-11-22, 06:21 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
Nope
for me, it's gotta work
Old 01-11-22, 06:39 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Yes. Except for one bike.
Old 01-11-22, 07:04 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Don't know. I tend to get frames and build up with what I like/have around without knowing what catalog-spec was supposed to be. So if it ever happened it was pure luck.
Old 01-11-22, 07:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I think my exception to not necessarily caring about originality is when it comes to old Fujis. They were mostly all spec-ed with SunTour components, so I really avoid setting the ones I've had up with anything Shimano. Just doesn't seem right.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-11-22, 10:23 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I’m in the midst of having a reproduction Schwinn Wheaties Paramount built that won’t be quite 100% accurate but I’m ok with that. The paint job looks great and I found a set of clinchers that look very much like Wolbers and took liberty with Shimano 7400 brifters rather than downtube shifters. Also used a quill stem adapter to use a 1-1/8 stem and larger bars.
I believe I’ll enjoy it much more than if it was completely accurate.
Old 01-12-22, 12:16 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
I will chime back in to drop these again, IMO, the absolute best of both worlds, period.

Classic vintage frames from one of the best, full of soul and awesome as the day is long.

And made even better with modernish drivetrains, better brakes to a degree and gearing that will take me anywhere I want to go for the most part, could not and would not go without.

And then of course is a full on brand new full on version that is even more fantastic as it was built with the same goal in mind from scratch for and by me specifically.

It takes the above rationale to a whole other level, nails it and will continue to do so from now on.

Likes For merziac:
Old 01-12-22, 12:40 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I'm figuring that the Gran Compe Steam was some kind of power assist, sort of like the e-bike motors that are available as accessories these days. The hazard with those was apparently scalding rather than electrocution.
Or maybe Gran Compe Steam was a special seasonal offering form the Anchor Brewing Company . . . .
Old 01-12-22, 03:43 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I started swapping parts from OEM to what works best back in 1975 on my first "real" bike.

yup, same here. Before my first lightweight bike left the shop it had been modified. I bought my Kabuli Diamond Formula new from a guy in Oxnard that built frames and raced His name was Stan Johnson and we became friends . He actually raced a bike just like mine and modified my bike to what he felt it should have had for better performance. The 27” wheels were changed to 700c Gentleman Super Champion with SS spokes(I lived on a sailboat) and some of the bearings were swapped out. I still have the bike but I have changed since to Campagnolo. Components.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 01-12-22 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-12-22, 07:22 AM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Trifecta!

I prefer to build up my traditional bikes with silver groupsets but this black group on white frame sure is sharp! Love it!
Old 01-12-22, 07:48 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I, like others go for mostly period correct or upgrades from the period or from slightly afterwards. That brings us here with our Classic & Vintage obsessions. I did however restore a 1973 Super Sport to very near specs, as that was my first nice bike purchase in 1975, and I still have it. I couldn't find the proper bar tape yet, and like in 1975 I wasn't going to use the rear Huret even though I have several of them. The nostalgia almost overcomes me on the few rides I have taken on it.

Of course, this was easier to do since I already had my original well used and modified bike from way back in 1975. Three cheap Super Sports from the co-op allowed me the luxury to do this restoration and also to convert one to an upright which gets ridden the most. So, the answer is to get one that is sentimental and makes you remember, and modify the other.

Keep one stock and modify 1 or 2
Likes For sd5782:
Old 01-12-22, 10:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Yes and No.
Specifically: yes,yes,no,no

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-12-22 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-12-22, 12:22 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,585 Times in 1,764 Posts
I generally don't care much about originality when it comes to parts selection. There are two exceptions, as far as I'm concerned:

1. if the bike originally belonged to a famous champion, in which case I'd like to build it the way they rode it (which was probably a highly personal hodge-podge of parts). Check out Eddy's Italo-Franco Frankenbike.

If it were to be given a name, "Manufacture Alberto Juy Pietra Peugeot Auvergnoise" would sound about right:

2. if the parts were specifically spec'ed for the bike by the designer (as opposed to the bean counters or salesmen), such as with mrs non-fixie's Bridgestone Blouson. Super Record just wouldn't look right, IMO:

For my racing bikes I try to stay close to what an original owner might have had or wanted:

And for my touring bikes I use whatever I like, have available, works, or might be fun to try and see if it works:

Old 01-12-22, 01:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
Nope, but with the right bike I might consider it

current line up:

85 Team miyata...... 5805 105 group, so no where near original

84 team miyata. came to me non original, my first build was close to original, with original durace 7200 ex shifters, front and rear derailer, seat post, stem, wheels, 7400 53/39 crank and 7400 brakes and levers so in spirit it is now a Cino build with deore rear derailler, rx100 front derailer, a 105 triple (soon to be back to 7400 crank with a TA triplizer)

80/81 SR Semi pro Came to me close to original with bar end shifters but other than that full 600 arabesque. Now has the 600 arabesque front and rear derailer and down tube shifters and crank, but put a velo orange postino bar, tektro city brakes and tektro dual pivot s from my stash

Old 01-17-22, 09:13 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Yes, I would try to respect as much as possible the original build provided you know it exactly and the bike is worth it. When not possible, too expensive or some modifications need to be done, at least I try to remain period and style correct. Of course there are cases in which exceptions and compromises can’t be avoided.
Old 01-17-22, 09:27 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Pretty much all the bikes I've built to date have components which would have been considered original equipment. Sometimes I do stray. The Motobecane Champion Team I put together a few years ago, I got a little carried away with tensioning the spokes on one of the Arc en Ciel rims and it taco'd on me. I found a set of the anodized rims, which weren't original to the bike at that time, and if I happen upon a nice set of originals, I'll replace them.
Comsumables, such as chains, bar tape, cables and cable housings, I don't worry about too much. For the chains, I usually try to stick with either Regina, or Everest, if I can find something affordable. Finding original equipment Campagnolo cable housings from the '70's, and the shift/brake cables, can get quite expensive, and I really don't care, most of the time. I don't plan on showing any of these, or taking them to a Concours event, I just do it for my own pleasure. The hunt for parts I consider fun, although seeing some of the excessively inflated pricing does make me laugh sometimes.
Old 01-17-22, 10:18 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I think I have the most fun with C&V by tuning up and going for significant rides on catalog spec bikes. I'm cheap and not prone to restoring with the correct parts so I seek complete, neglected, but not abused bikes and try to use all the bits and pieces including cables, housing, bearings, pitted races, and even that ubiquitous pain in the ass Turbo saddle. It bugs me if the original seatpost is too short and I have gone on long rides with the saddle 10-15mm too low.
Old 01-17-22, 11:23 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by JackJohn
Yes, I would try to respect as much as possible the original build provided you know it exactly and the bike is worth it. When not possible, too expensive or some modifications need to be done, at least I try to remain period and style correct. Of course there are cases in which exceptions and compromises can’t be avoided.
100% agreement.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Dia-Comp brakes are often removed and chucked into the spares bin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.