Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Storing your bike in an insulated unheated garage-sequel to hanging bike by wheel.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Storing your bike in an insulated unheated garage-sequel to hanging bike by wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 03:26 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

Thanks for postings on hanging bike from wheel in garage. It's something I need to do as storage is getting crazy in my office and there's still space, even with two cars, in the garage.

But this raises my question. The garage as well as the garage door are insulated, but there is no heat, so temperature and humidity rise and lower with the seasons. House heat usually makes things 6-8 degrees warmer inside the garage and there is the radiant heat of a cooling car.

It's funning having such a worry now as I think back to those first bikes that sat inside my dad's open garage away from the falling rain and snow with their 50lb pipe frames and never worried over those decades about rust, nor really recall any, but now it makes you pause. Do you really want surface rust, especially after you cleaned off the last bout of it and does good quality car wax solve the issue as you don't wax the insides of the tubing...LOL, not that obsessive yet.

What, is there, a consensus?

Take Care
Old 01-30-22, 03:39 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
As long as you don't cover your bikes with a vapor barrier (plastic film is an example), you should be OK.

If you really want to be anal about it, track your dew points.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-30-22, 03:47 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Having left my Harley under a carport in Olympia for a year, I'd say you're potentially in for some rust if you don't take precautions. That's probably a lot more humid than inside a garage, though. If you lived in a dry climate, I'd say don't worry. My racing bike spent several years in an unheated shed, here in NM, with no deterioration apparent.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-30-22, 03:52 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
You can treat the inside of your tubing
Jobst Brandt thought it was nonsense
https://yarchive.net/bike/frame_rust.html
but he also thought water bottles were nonsense

I've had several frames rust out, from the inside. It's a worthwhile step for bikes that are ridden and put away wet, especially salted snow or by the ocean, tourers, commuters. I wouldn't do it to a nice fair weather classic.

I use common hardware store LPS-3, or Fish Oil, not framesaver, cheaper. Also normally do it to a frame when it's stripped to avoid gunking up the bb or headset.
Waxing is good too but I actually think the internal treatment is more critical for a steel frame which is abused.
Old 01-30-22, 04:08 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I have an insulated unheated garage too and live in NE Oklahoma where we get all four seasons within a 5 day span sometimes. My bikes hold up as well in the garage as my cars, beer fridge, tools, and everything else I keep there.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-30-22, 04:21 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've got way to many bikes in my uninsulated attic. I try and clean and wd40 every bike that gets stored up there. It seems to me that dust provides a foot hold for rust so I do what I can to put every thing away clean. Some bikes have been up there for 5 years and I think that some surface rust has grown a little bit, but its realy just a suspicion. I do try and pull the seat posts out so the inside of the tubes can breath a bit, and to keep the saddles out of the summer heat.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-30-22, 05:11 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Unheated garage is likely fine.
Maybe not in Nome.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 01-30-22, 05:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Depends on circulation maybe. A dehumidifier never hurt anything.
Old 01-30-22, 06:38 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It isn't first growth bordeaux.

Sun exposure is an issue. Temperature swings? Not so much.
Old 01-30-22, 08:05 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'd be sure to get them down and moved around at least yearly.

I don't know how long this was hanging. Water condensation that froze.

Old 01-30-22, 09:24 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Bikes are like children.
They get unhappy when forced to live anywhere but inside the house.
Old 01-31-22, 01:04 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Thanks all, seems Ok for storage where it is dry and they are ridden in dry weather. Sounds also like its better to keep them in rotation and use, cleaned and serviced as needed after ridden. It's always the hardest 5-10 minutes after a ride, to wipe things down with regular intervals of chain cleaning/lubrication, but it's also good time too, functional art.
Old 01-31-22, 05:58 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
My bikes are in the unheated detached garage all year. The good, fair weather bikes are up in the loft all winter so live in cold dry conditions. First RULE though is to never open any doors or windows on those nice warm days after a front sweeps through bringing warm air up from the south. Everything inside the building (bikes, tools, machines, materials, camping equipment, etc) very cold then an inrush of warm moist air is assured condensed moisture on everything, then rust. Wait until spring.

That’s why I have two winter bikes. They’re the only ones that get fresh air in the winter
Old 01-31-22, 06:03 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Two stay hung in the garage year round without issue. The rest rotate to the basement sometime in the late fall/early winter to make room for snow removal equipment and ice fishing gear.
I do fill the tires every now & again.
Old 01-31-22, 06:28 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Having lived in the NW for over 30 years, I have the opinion that the climate is fairly mild compared to the east coast. Here the humidity in the summer is sweltering bad. Up there in Lacy, not so much.

I didn't have a problem in the Portland area, like Aloha. Here in Virginia, I keep a dehumidifier going in the summer and a heater set at about 60 in the third garage (added as an option so it has a wall between the other one) where the bikes and tools are. There is a sheet of plastic in the opening to keep most of the heat in the 3rd bay. I have not had a problem in the 4 years since moving in. Prior garages were adjacent to other ones and had one bay. The heat from the car helped along with the living quarters above.

If there is real concern, @iab has it right with the comment about dew point.
Old 01-31-22, 07:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I'm in Michigan with fairly wide swings of temperature and humidity, and keep all of my bikes out in a detached, unheated garage. Never any problems, and I can say the same about all the tools I keep out there, my lawn and garden equipment, and also the stereo and speakers that I leave out there year round. As long as the garage is dry, you'll be fine. I have a full-length ridge vent and I've heard that helps to avoid condensation inside when the weather changes quickly.
Old 01-31-22, 11:17 AM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of their ceiling storage in the garage? I am planning to build a carriage of sorts in my garage on the ceiling and have a general idea of what to do but when I google this subject I’m inundated with advertisements.
Old 01-31-22, 12:12 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I live 1 km downwind of the Pacific Ocean. Climatic extremes are not a problem, but salt air and high humidity are the reality, and some level amount of oxidation just naturally occurs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-31-22, 12:20 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
Thanks for postings on hanging bike from wheel in garage. It's something I need to do as storage is getting crazy in my office and there's still space, even with two cars, in the garage.
Wait! You park cars in your garage? Do you know how many additional bikes you could put in the space taken up by a car? I think I see the problem now.
Old 01-31-22, 12:22 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I live 1 km downwind of the Pacific Ocean. Climatic extremes are not a problem, but salt air and high humidity are the reality, and some level amount of oxidation just naturally occurs.
Yeah, salt water can be brutal. I left my boat on the coast, and it just didn't hold up.

Old 01-31-22, 12:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
One of the best rust inhibitors I have found is ArmorAll Tire Dressing Foam in the can (Brand Name do not substitute). My bikes except for my Hand Brush Painted bike are Rattle Can painted and need protection from the elements. They also have Bumper Sticker Decals that also need protection. After cleaning and drying the bike I liberally spray the entire bike with the foam then diligently wipe it all off. It appears to leave a thin layer over the metal, plastic, leather, and rubber parts and does a good job of preventing oxidation without being oily or greasy.

Over in Galveston Texas the guys on the water front use a mix of Linseed Oil and Denatured Alcohol 50:50 for internal frame treatment. Not only do they have a salt water environment but inland around Texas City the air is known to oxidize just about everything... Ha