Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubular tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 03:20 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The cheapest tubular tires you can get are probably going to run you $50 each, and they'll be really skinny.
And they need to be glued on.
And if you get a flat, you can't just put in a new tube, you have to put on a whole tire, which you'll have to carry, so you'll need to buy 3 tires. You may be able to get by bumming $5 tubes from passersby, but nobody's gonna give you their tubular tire if you get a flat.
And any tubular you could afford will probably be really skinny.

Then there's the wheel. You weigh 250, you say, which may be beyond what NEW Spinergy wheels were rated for.
You're looking at a rear wheel, which would be carrying most of your weight.
If it's a 130mm wheel, the axle is prone to bending, and you'd be putting a lot of weight on it.
Rev-X wheels are famous for catastrophic failure, even under riders who weigh a lot less than you
These wheels are probably 30 years old, with who knows how much use
You'd be buying without having seen or handled them.
You're not known for taking good care of your stuff.

But apart from all that.....
its explosive and razor sharp, of course I want it. Not going to do sportive riding on it for safety concerns. Normally id get Gebhard to examine the wheel and tell me which tire to put on but he told me a horror story about a friend who got his ear severed by one back in the day, so I probably should go somewhere else because he wants nothing to do with spinergy rev x.
Old 04-14-22, 03:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
its explosive and razor sharp, of course I want it. Not going to do sportive riding on it for safety concerns. Normally id get Gebhard to examine the wheel and tell me which tire to put on but he told me a horror story about a friend who got his ear severed by one back in the day, so I probably should go somewhere else because he wants nothing to do with spinergy rev x.
So instead of taking the advice of somebody who's been in the bike business for decades, you'd seek out someone who doesn't know enough to give you good advice?

And, do you think the safety concerns of an exploding wheel don't also apply to riding around town, where there are lots and lots of cars?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-14-22, 03:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You knew nothing about the wheels at the start of this thread and you are now a confident speculator on the projected value of the wheels moving forward?
Some people are quick learners. Heck, I knew nothing about neurosurgery this morning, yet I'm willing to take a crack at Larry's brain this afternoon.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-14-22, 03:40 PM
LarrySellerz

You knew nothing about the wheels at the start of this thread and you are now a confident speculator on the projected value of the wheels moving forward?
I know about the wheel, not tubular tires. Its very fashionable for urban riders to have one, kind of a cult classic if you will
Old 04-14-22, 07:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Its very fashionable for urban riders to have one, kind of a cult classic if you will
Then why has no one else bid on it?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-22, 07:42 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Not sure.. normally a rev x wheel in good condition goes for 300-500. Maybe the undesirable with the ugly dork disc thing detracts from the value?
Old 04-14-22, 07:48 PM
Koyote

Not sure.. normally a rev x wheel in good condition goes for 300-500. Maybe the undesirable with the ugly dork disc thing detracts from the value?
You know, Larry, you can search completed auctions on eBay -- and if you had, you would've discovered that, if you pay $99.99 + shipping for that wheel, you'll only be overpaying by about $93.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-22, 09:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I thought that they were couple hundred dollars a decade ago and have been steadily increasing in price. Atleast the ones that have been converted to fixed with the surly fixer are rising in price
The fixie movement loved those Aerospokes with anything that looked similar as a distant second choice, but that fad is long gone.
Old 04-14-22, 09:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
...the ugly dork disc thing...
Start calling it an aerodynamic fairing and see if it sticks.
Old 04-15-22, 05:06 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I love tubulars, but then I'm old school, I doubt there are many out there who know how to take apart a tubular, remove the tube, and then sew it back up with a new tube inside. Unless you odd like me, and can tell the difference between the feel of a clincher and a tubular, can figure out how to install a tubular tire without getting glue on your elbows and eyebrows, and don't mind the smell of acetone when you clean the old glue off your wheels, you are better off with clinchers or tubeless.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-15-22, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I love tubulars, but then I'm old school, I doubt there are many out there who know how to take apart a tubular, remove the tube, and then sew it back up with a new tube inside. Unless you odd like me, and can tell the difference between the feel of a clincher and a tubular, can figure out how to install a tubular tire without getting glue on your elbows and eyebrows, and don't mind the smell of acetone when you clean the old glue off your wheels, you are better off with clinchers or tubeless.
A couple weeks ago I was in a local shop that supports a teen group I help run and was waiting for the owner to come back with something for me. I mindlessly looked around and on their tire wall I saw a pair of tubulars. When he came back I pointed to them and asked if they are banking on tubulars suddenly coming back into fashion. He said it was a special order and the wrong size so now they will sit on the wall for months and months. I then half jokingly asked if any of the mechanics could even set them up.

Its neat that there are people who still rock tubular tires, but there is a reason why other tech took off. The OP could stand to consider this.
Old 04-15-22, 10:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Ive been keeping my eyes out for some carbon wheels, and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/11533679859...cAAOSwFVxiJpnv which looks like a big waste of time, but ive never dealt with tubular. From a short google search it seems like very dated technology, shunned by racers. I was thinking about putting this on a bike to ride around town for errands instead of racing, is tubular a stupid idea for that application? This wheel is much cheaper than others listed, and I wonder if its because its tubular or because there aren't enough close pictures or something else. thanks.

edit: placed bid
FIFY

For $200, you can get a semi-modern carbon tubular wheelset locally, but not as attention-getting...
Old 04-15-22, 02:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I know about the wheel, not tubular tires. Its very fashionable for urban riders to have one, kind of a cult classic if you will
Just not tubular.
Old 04-15-22, 07:21 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was in a local shop that supports a teen group I help run and was waiting for the owner to come back with something for me. I mindlessly looked around and on their tire wall I saw a pair of tubulars. When he came back I pointed to them and asked if they are banking on tubulars suddenly coming back into fashion. He said it was a special order and the wrong size so now they will sit on the wall for months and months. I then half jokingly asked if any of the mechanics could even set them up.

Its neat that there are people who still rock tubular tires, but there is a reason why other tech took off. The OP could stand to consider this.
Here in Japan tubulars are still popular, there are a lot of vintage roadies around here, as well as a lot of people who like track bikes, and the Keirin bike wheels are always tubular. My first *real* bike, a Masi Gran Criterium, was delivered without tires, mounting my first set of tubulars was and adventure and a mess.
Old 04-16-22, 06:08 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So instead of taking the advice of somebody who's been in the bike business for decades ...
Trolls troll. They don't "take advice."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-16-22, 06:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you want to look fashionable you need to get an "urban group set"...This includes tubulars mounted on a brakeless fixie with 8 inch handlebars, cards in the spokes and a messenger bag...This will make you look fashionable, cool and give you serious street cred among urban riders.
Old 04-16-22, 06:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I might have a set of GL330 wheels with Mavic hubs in the attic, probably 6 or 7 speed.

I love the ride of tubulars, just not the work and money that goes into high quality ones. I think it is FMB that makes a 30mm silk. How sweet would that be? For what might be one ride.
Old 04-16-22, 02:30 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
OP, if you’re not familiar with what it takes to mount a set of tubular tires and had to go ogle what they are, then you’re in for a big suprise.
Old 04-17-22, 10:07 AM
Koyote

Ive been keeping my eyes out for some carbon wheels, and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/11533679859...cAAOSwFVxiJpnv which looks like a steal,
I thought spinergy rev x wheels will only go up in price over time. The technology is outdated but the cult following is not going to go away any time soon, its a timeless wheel.
I thought that they were couple hundred dollars a decade ago and have been steadily increasing in price.
Its very fashionable for urban riders to have one, kind of a cult classic if you will
Not sure.. normally a rev x wheel in good condition goes for 300-500.
Auction closed, and Larry's was apparently the only bid. Which seems weird, given that these wheels are cult classics that will only increase in value.

So, by my count, Larry now has two lousy rear wheels that will give him trouble.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-17-22 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-22, 11:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
For what he will have paid in price, shipping, and sales tax, I picked up a very lightly used Lotus Classique that really only needed a set of tires and tubes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-17-22, 11:56 AM
LarrySellerz

Honestly super stoked for this wheel to come, now I need a front wheel. There aren't any standalone on eBay, ill keep my eyes open. Want a really pretty frame to put them on
Old 04-17-22, 11:58 AM
LarrySellerz

Auction closed, and Larry's was apparently the only bid. Which seems weird, given that these wheels are cult classics that will only increase in value.

So, by my count, Larry now has two lousy rear wheels that will give him trouble.
yeah idk what the big idea is. like this one is $800 https://www.ebay.com/itm/19496467687...wAAOSw6tNiCoJT
Old 04-17-22, 12:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Just because something is listed at $800, doesn't mean they'll get it. At least you didn't shoot for the moon on your very first eBay transaction.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-17-22, 12:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
yeah idk what the big idea is. like this one is $800 https://www.ebay.com/itm/19496467687...wAAOSw6tNiCoJT
That the current owner is delusional enough to ask $800 does not mean that it's worth $800.
Old 04-17-22, 03:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
That wheel is 10 speed compatible, which is still kinda old but nowhere as old as 7 speed. It also appears it's a more-expensive model than what you bought (so, it's a bad comparison).

The Rev-X (the model you bought) is about $475-600 for a pair of wheels.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-17-22 at 03:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.