Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

need help with identifying this bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 09:21 AM
Pino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys , i need some help to identify this bike . Its my dad his old bike and i dont know what brand or what year it is . Maybe someone can help me with that to find some information , Or find a picture from it how the bike was . Because i want to restore him like he was as a surprise for his birthday .

greetz joris

Old 01-21-16, 10:14 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
calling @non-fixie

Old 01-21-16, 10:20 AM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pictures of the lugs (Areas where the tubes connect) and any stamped numbers. Plus the drop-outs, (Where you put the wheels in).
Old 01-21-16, 11:49 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Whatever it is, I like it a lot.

In addition to the requested closeup shots, please provide dimensions, including bottom bracket shell width (68 vs 70mm), bottom bracket cup diameter/threading (1.375x24, 36x24, 35x1), seat tube diameter (28.0 vs 1-1/8" = 28.6mm), and seat post diameter (27.2mm on a 28.6mm tube, or 26.4 on a 28.0mm tube, if you are lucky).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-21-16, 11:53 AM
Jakenks

Bikes: Paramount Series II, Gitane Tour De France (2), Raleigh Superbe, Centurion Super Tour 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks cool. French, perhaps?
Old 01-21-16, 12:49 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Holy moly....

EDIT: Is that a cyclocross bike? If not, why isn't it?

Last edited by 50voltphantom; 01-21-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 01:23 PM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Holy moly....

EDIT: Is that a cyclocross bike? If not, why isn't it?
Hmmm, canti brakes but no bar ends and it isn't cross gearing. So it isn't built like a vintage cross would have been. Looking forward to closeups.
Old 01-21-16, 02:54 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Pino
hey guys , i need some help to identify this bike . Its my dad his old bike and i dont know what brand or what year it is . Maybe someone can help me with that to find some information , Or find a picture from it how the bike was . Because i want to restore him like he was as a surprise for his birthday .

greetz joris
Hello Joris, welcome to Bikeforums! That is a nice-looking bike and a great plan. From the pictures you've provided it's not easy to identify the bike. Based on what I'm seeing I guess it's a well-made cyclocross bike, that has possibly been repainted. The decals look like generic replacements. Nice selection of parts: MAFAC brakes, Campagnolo NR derailleurs, Sugino crankset, tubular tires. My kind of build.

I second the suggestions above: close-ups, measurements, numbers, the works.

How much time have we got, until your dad's birthday?

Old 01-22-16, 06:02 AM
Pino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Hello Joris, welcome to Bikeforums! That is a nice-looking bike and a great plan. From the pictures you've provided it's not easy to identify the bike. Based on what I'm seeing I guess it's a well-made cyclocross bike, that has possibly been repainted. The decals look like generic replacements. Nice selection of parts: MAFAC brakes, Campagnolo NR derailleurs, Sugino crankset, tubular tires. My kind of build.

I second the suggestions above: close-ups, measurements, numbers, the works.

How much time have we got, until your dad's birthday?

thanks guys for helping me and all the info . in 1 year my dad will turn 60 and want to surprise him with his old bike looking just like new but if i will not making until then its doesnt matter . i just want to make him happy with it . i dont think that he is repainted . i think this grey is the original color , the brown shine you see is rust on many places. i think he is quiet original but hope to find his originality and brand . here are some more picture's that i asked to my sister . the bike is standing now at her place . next week i will take him home so if you need more picture's about something just ask

Last edited by Pino; 01-22-16 at 06:09 AM. Reason: extra pics
Old 01-22-16, 10:11 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Quaint and terrific bike. Looks like Simplex skewers (rear one broken). Close enough to my size to be desirable, even at a distance. I would just clean up the frame and wax it, leaving the finish alone otherwise. Overhaul the remainder, of course.
Old 01-22-16, 10:17 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 786 Posts
can one get oxalic acid in Benelux? This nice-looking frame is just crying for an acid dip...
Old 01-22-16, 10:22 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
This sounds like a noble project and a great bike to work on.

My only concern is in picture 3 in your second post - is the lug connecting the down tube to the head tube cracked?
Old 01-22-16, 10:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
@Pino, when you get the bike, look at the back of the rear derailleur (in your first photo). You'll see something like "PAT 73" engraved on it. That's the date of the derailleur, and likely the date of the bike.

The frame was made for bar end shifters (the cable stops in the third photo prove this).

When you get the bike, I suggest you apply some penetrating oil to all the rusty bolts, and let it seep in for a while before you try to loosen anything.

Is this a surprise for your father? If so, do you expect he's going to ride the bike? If so, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to change the wheels to clincher rims.
Old 01-22-16, 10:46 AM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
This sounds like a noble project and a great bike to work on.

My only concern is in picture 3 in your second post - is the lug connecting the down tube to the head tube cracked?

Looks like a small added wear pad for the bar end cabling?
Old 01-22-16, 12:05 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MiloFrance
Looks like a small added wear pad for the bar end cabling?
I thought the same thing, but I think it's cable stops for bar-end shifters like @rhm pointed out.
@Pino, I truly cannot wait to see this bike restored. If you document the progress online anywhere, let me know. I would love to see this bike cleaned up with some fresh CX tires and bar-ends.
Old 01-22-16, 04:27 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Pino
thanks guys for helping me and all the info . in 1 year my dad will turn 60 and want to surprise him with his old bike looking just like new but if i will not making until then its doesnt matter . i just want to make him happy with it . i dont think that he is repainted . i think this grey is the original color , the brown shine you see is rust on many places. i think he is quiet original but hope to find his originality and brand . here are some more picture's that i asked to my sister . the bike is standing now at her place . next week i will take him home so if you need more picture's about something just ask
Thank you, @Pino (and your sister!) for the additional pictures. They confirm my first impression that it's a very nice bike, and well worth getting back on the road.

Like others have mentioned, the original cable stops have been partly removed, which is a shame. They would have looked like this:

I'd start by cleaning the bike, remove the dust and grime with a soft brush and a soapy solution (like you would use for dish washing). Then soak the nuts and bolts in WD40 or something similar for a few days before disassembling the bike.

With regard to its identity: I don't recognize it, but we have some knowledgeable countrymen of yours amongst our members. Perhaps @Munny or @CMAW would be so kind take a look?

Old 01-23-16, 03:19 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Looking at 70ies cross bikes for my rides in town lately, I've seen an exact match for this bike for sale about a month ago. Sadly, a vast contingent of my brain cells migrated to my calves last year, so I can't remember what brand it was. Pretty sure it was one of these obscure Belgo-Italian names like Rubino or Borgino... in itself these don't say anything about who made the frame. AFAK the double circle cut-out in the lugs is not common though, I'm sure someone will come up with the maker sooner or later. You should definitely build it up with bar end shifters (the Shimano "fingertip control" barcons are not hard to find as almost all cross bikes had them).
Old 01-23-16, 08:58 AM
thunderworks

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the mid 1970's, Follis used lugs that had similar cutouts. I have a gut feeling this is a French bike. The seat stay caps are reminiscent of some upper end French bikes too.
Old 01-23-16, 11:11 AM
Munny

Bikes: 50 ? More?

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
If people could forget the strange idea that in Belgium we wanted to mess around with the French bikes and their standards ...

This one was made in Belgium

Who knows under which name it was sold ?
Well, with the number, maybe the guy running the framing company who made the frame...

One of mine has exactly the same details, except that it is not a cyclo cross but a race bike
It was branded under the name of a well known sixties racer (actually the brand of his brother)
However the framing company, one of the belgian finest, was selling to various shops...

Or even his owned brand, a very very old belgian brand, of which I recently put back together my last bike.

As already said, the frame has been repainted and is wearing generic decalcs.
You need to put it back to steel and a new paint + correct decalcs, and various other bits, starting by campa bar-ends
Old 01-24-16, 10:49 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
(...), the original cable stops have been partly removed, which is a shame.
I've been looking at the pics again (this time with better glasses - thanks, @juvela), and it looks like I was mistaken, and the stops are still there:

Old 01-24-16, 10:53 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
thanks very much for the clarification non-fixie!

as an old timer i can very much appreciate the "better glasses" reference.

now if only i could see the button to click on for "send"