Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Location to retire??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Location to retire??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 09:10 PM
BoldRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Location to retire??

Hi, I am posting this in the 50+ forum hoping for input from those who are near or in retirement and active cyclists. I am looking for 4 seasons, but milder winters and summers not too intense. Good local road and mountain bike (trail/fire-lane) riding. Good health care options. Good employment options for older folks. A walk-able and cycling friendly community. A few good local bike shops. Animal/rescue organizations to volunteer at. Truly affordable housing. Not much of a list is it? One community I have an interest in is Lexington, Ky. I live in Nashville area and find it too hot and increasingly overpopulated with all that goes with that. Internet searches and retirement oriented "places to live" lists are of very limited help.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to see what people have to say about where they live or places they have visited. I can't be that unusual in my desires. Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Mike M.
Old 10-20-16, 09:25 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BoldRider
... I am looking for 4 seasons, but milder winters and summers not too intense. .........

I live in Nashville area and find it too hot and increasingly overpopulated with all that goes with that. .... Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Mike M.
I've been to Nashville. Nice place, nice area, very moderate weather. Tennessee really is (generally) just below the harsh northern winters.... and just north of the extreme southern summers (most years). Maybe you should explore the suburbs of Nashville,
Old 10-20-16, 09:26 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Augusta Georgia. it cools off a bit in the winter, about 25 miles of trail near and lots more a little further out of town. Place is more hospitals than anything else. It does get kinda hot down here.
Old 10-20-16, 09:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm south of you in the Atlanta suburbs.

Have you given thought to the Alabama coast? Very pretty.

Greenville SC is really, really nice. George Hincapie is from Greenville. There are a few clubs and some races. I've cycled there and would love to live there but I have a daughter at Georgia Tech right now.

if Nashville is hot to you then I'm not sure either place would be in consideration in terms of weather.

-Tim-
Old 10-21-16, 05:18 AM
Caymandiver1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoldRider
Hi, I am posting this in the 50+ forum hoping for input from those who are near or in retirement and active cyclists. I am looking for 4 seasons, but milder winters and summers not too intense. Good local road and mountain bike (trail/fire-lane) riding. Good health care options. Good employment options for older folks. A walk-able and cycling friendly community. A few good local bike shops. Animal/rescue organizations to volunteer at. Truly affordable housing. Not much of a list is it? One community I have an interest in is Lexington, Ky. I live in Nashville area and find it too hot and increasingly overpopulated with all that goes with that. Internet searches and retirement oriented "places to live" lists are of very limited help.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to see what people have to say about where they live or places they have visited. I can't be that unusual in my desires. Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Mike M.
Medellin Colombia
Old 10-21-16, 06:27 AM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i also put to gether a "Utopia" list. Could not find it, so I am staying home in the LIttle Rock area. After research, I found every place is a trade-off, including price if the area is getting close to the correct temps. The main decision you need to make is which parts of your list you are willing to give up.
Old 10-21-16, 06:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Colorado Springs. I don;t know what you consider "mild" winters, but compared to the midwest they're mild.
Old 10-21-16, 07:22 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Based on what you said, North Carolina sounds like it. You can easily drive to find any riding condition whether it's rolling hill, mountains, or the goat coast. There are metropolitan areas to buy things and lots of sparsely populated places.
Old 10-21-16, 09:42 AM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by making
Augusta Georgia. it cools off a bit in the winter, about 25 miles of trail near and lots more a little further out of town. Place is more hospitals than anything else. It does get kinda hot down here.
You forgot the "and sticky" .
Old 10-21-16, 10:16 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Front Range of Colorado I what I choose in the exact same circumstances. Never moving away, should have moved here 30 years ago.
Old 10-21-16, 10:26 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
I had central California all ready for you before the "truly affordable" part.

Old 10-21-16, 10:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Bastrop Texas, (but not Austin unless ya got $), Woods, Water, Damn near desert, Hills, Flats... All within a two beer drive...
Old 10-21-16, 11:38 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
It's hard to find a place with:
Decent weather
Some climbing and good bike roads
Employment opportunities
Walkable
Amenities
Healthcare

and affordable. A place like that would be popular, and tend to get expensive.

Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
i also put to gether a "Utopia" list. Could not find it, so I am staying home in the LIttle Rock area. After research, I found every place is a trade-off, including price if the area is getting close to the correct temps. The main decision you need to make is which parts of your list you are willing to give up.
Yes.
Anything in a nice urban is getting quite expensive. People are bidding up the housing costs to get the amenities: nice parks, walkable, restaurants, etc. Country living is cheap around here, but you have to like the solitude, and all the driving required to get to anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weather
I like the yearly data from weatherspark.com. For example, Lexington KY.

Kentucky gets waves of cold air from Canada, and warm air from the Gulf of Mexico, so temperatures vary a lot day-by-day in the winter.

Lexington
See the average high and low temperature chart, with the percentile bands in lighter red to show the typical ranges of temperatures.

And the percentage of each day in different temperature ranges is helpful:
Note that light green is the 50-65F range. They start getting some warm afternoons around late February.

The average fraction of time spent in various temperature bands: frigid (below 15°F), freezing (15°F to 32°F), cold (32°F to 50°F), cool (50°F to 65°F), comfortable (65°F to 75°F), warm (75°F to 85°F), hot (85°F to 100°F) and sweltering (above 100°F).

~~~~

Lexington KY is about an hour south of me, I'm near Cincinnati. I ride every month of the year, but decent riding weather is limited from early December to late February.

Last year was often colder than usual, but there were some really nice days mixed in. My Garmin reports:
Oct 2015 460 miles
Nov 2015 220 miles
Dec 2015 240 miles
Jan 2016 140 miles (including the 30 mile New Year's day ride, at 29F. I normally wait until it's above 40F at least.)
Feb 2016 210 miles

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-21-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 11:41 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Kansas City. Spring and fall have great weather. A little hot in the summer but still great for morning rides. Lots of biking and clubs here. Lots of miles of trails. Good amount of hills to ride.
Affordable too. Housing is very affordable on the Missouri side. Good health care too.
Old 10-21-16, 12:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I had central California all ready for you before the "truly affordable" part.
LOL - come to the Bay Area NOW... before the housing here gets REALLY expensive.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-21-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 12:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
there are other retirement location threads, if OP wants a long list.

The South would be out for me = hot, humid, long summers. Grew up in Nashville before a/c was widespread. For me it would have to be near the west coast USA. Lots of affordable places somewhere between San Diego and Seattle. assuming only US choices
Old 10-21-16, 04:07 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Hawaii (Big Island), North Kohala coast.
Old 10-21-16, 06:24 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moved to front range Colorado as a conscious quite likely eventual retirement choice after decades of roaming. Living and doing business in many different areas of the country...and world. That last move was 20+ years ago. Ideal for for me but YMMV.

Last edited by ltxi; 10-21-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 06:57 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Based on what you said, North Carolina sounds like it. You can easily drive to find any riding condition whether it's rolling hill, mountains, or the goat coast. There are metropolitan areas to buy things and lots of sparsely populated places.
That was my thought as well.

NC has a lot of regions that have the elevation to offer cooler summers, but don't suffer much inclement weather in the cooler months. My brother is in the Asheville area and is generally able to ride throughout the winter.

I love my north Florida location. Property is affordable and we have endless miles of low traffic, well connected rolling hill roads. No serious climbs, but more hills than most people realize exist in Florida. But it's 95+ degrees for about 5 months. And 90 for a month on either side of that. Perfect for me, but most find it a bit intolerable.
Old 10-21-16, 07:36 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
How about Utah, either St. George or somewhere along the Wasatch Front? My father retired to Springville, which is essentially a Provo suburb, and happily lived out his final 17 years there. My stepmother, who grew up in that area, always likes to brag that, compared to Arizona, "We're higher and cooler."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-21-16, 07:46 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I've worked and lived all over the U.S. Literally. I have determined that I, personally, will move to the Tucson AZ area when I finally retire. The heat can be adapted to and it even snows on MT Lemon.
Old 10-21-16, 08:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
+1. I live in a county next to Charlotte. All the 'big city' amenities are nearby, and a 20 minute drive gets me to rural rolling hill riding areas where I often don't see a car for ten minutes or more at a time. Any sunny winter's day is a riding day. Three hours drive east or west, mountain or ocean communities abound. Lots of variety from which to choose.
Old 10-21-16, 08:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Albuquerque would be an option, or the vicinity.

Good weather, not much rain, hardly snows, typically 50's in winter, high 90 in summer, sometimes hotter but no humidity. Area is around 5,000 ft and gets lots of sunshine. Decent roads east and north, lots of mt. biking as well. Lots of areas to explore in the SW and lots of cycling opportunities.
Old 10-22-16, 04:57 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knoxville, isn't as crowded as Nashville, strong biking community, great country roads, you get use to the heat and humidity in the summer
Old 10-22-16, 05:13 AM
CreamyPete

Bikes: 2016 Giant Defy 5, Kent Road Tech 700c

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I'm about an hour north of this guy, it's pretty - good riding, me and Tam are buying a house on two less than impressive incomes. Quiet out here, of course I'm in a dry county.

You didn't mention being close to family or friends though....It can be lonely being settled in a place all by yourself. . .but there is also freedom, if I had that freedom - I'd keep a bit nomadic. Rent places for a few months at a time and move on whenever I get an itch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.