Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which Vintage MTB should I look for?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Vintage MTB should I look for?

Old 09-13-20, 03:48 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Only just read your post, so too late. However I recently read about the old yellow? Giant ATX 800? in the steel version. That frame was supposed to weigh around 1500gm which is pretty light for a rigid. Came with a steel fork also I think. Perhaps swap that out for a carbon.

Agree with the Rat Trap Pass tyre suggestion.

There were also a small number of nicer riding scandium frames back then which were pretty light.
Old 09-20-20, 07:32 AM
Brian44t

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX3, 2021 Motobecane UNO OUTCAST PRO, Surly Steamroller Fixed Gear, Raleigh 3 Speed Lightweight Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Project Update - I got the 850 setup close to how I want it with the new tires, chain and handle bars. I removed the front derailleur and kept the 48 tooth sprocket - I am now wondering if 38 would be a better choice. But, it wants to hop out of the higher gears when I am pedalling so I am not sure if this is an adjustment or if the freewheel is not worn out. I have not gotten the brakes all the way adjusted yet but I need to change the cables first.

Size wise, this is the smallest feeling bike I have and it should be good if I hit some wet leaves or even ice and need to flat track a bit.

Likes For Brian44t:
Old 09-20-20, 12:47 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian44t
Project Update - I got the 850 setup close to how I want it with the new tires, chain and handle bars. I removed the front derailleur and kept the 48 tooth sprocket - I am now wondering if 38 would be a better choice. But, it wants to hop out of the higher gears when I am pedalling so I am not sure if this is an adjustment or if the freewheel is not worn out. I have not gotten the brakes all the way adjusted yet but I need to change the cables first.

Size wise, this is the smallest feeling bike I have and it should be good if I hit some wet leaves or even ice and need to flat track a bit.
Nice bike! I'm sure that someday your skills will advance enough that you'll be able to handle a 3x.
Old 09-20-20, 01:22 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
For $30, you did great. An old Trek rigid for, MTB would have been high my list for your needs so I really like your choice. It's a personal thing, but I always leave the FD and a triple crank on my old MTBs. I do have a tip for you to make that bike look better. The paint is pretty nice but you might want to touch it up. Here's how I do my bikes and how I'd do yours. I'd buy a can of white spray paint and a couple very thin, fine paint brushes like small artist brushes. Cheap ones are good for this. You might want to have a can of Goof Off handy. Finally you'll need a clean food can like a soup can. Shake the can of spray and spray it into the can until you have enough build up on the bottom to dip the brush into it. Using the brush, carefully touch up the scratches. If it's a mark in the paint, use the Goof Off to remove the mark instead of touching it up. That white is easy to touch up and will look really great when you get done.
Old 09-20-20, 02:39 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Nice-looking Trek 850, there. Not bad for $30, plus a couple of parts.

Here's a link to gear-calculator.com that can show what a comparison between the 48T and 38T chainrings and the 7spd 14-32T cassette looks like, in terms of gear-inches: click. (Yes, this link shows a 2x chainring setup, which you don't have, but it allows you to easily see the comparison between the 48T and 38T in one place.

You can play with the little icons representing the sprockets and rings in question, dragging them around to match your exact setup. That'll give you an idea of the min/max gear-inches (difficulty) the gearing would represent, along with the MPH speed such gearing would give you. On the 7spd setup you've got, note that changing from 48T to 38T for your sole chainring would alter the min-max speed ... particularly, the max speed would drop to under 17mph (if that matters to you).

For comparison, here's my own (2x11spd w/ 34/24T chainrings and 11-46T cassette): click.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-21-20, 07:29 AM
Brian44t

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX3, 2021 Motobecane UNO OUTCAST PRO, Surly Steamroller Fixed Gear, Raleigh 3 Speed Lightweight Custom

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Nice bike! I'm sure that someday your skills will advance enough that you'll be able to handle a 3x.
Not sure what you mean by that? I have several other bikes that are 3x but it is not necessary for what I intend this bike for and it seems to me simple is best.
Old 09-21-20, 12:04 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Not sure what you mean by that? I have several other bikes that are 3x but it is not necessary for what I intend this bike for and it seems to me simple is best.
It was a joke. 1x is so fashionable right now, and the joke is that it’s because not everyone has the coordination to deal with a front derailleur. Really it’s that people will go through all kinds of contortions to make something simpler.

tl;dr Never mind. 🙂
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-21-20, 05:42 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I just picked up a 2000 GT Avalanche 2.0 made in California....has Deore LX derailleurs and shifters, Avid disc brakes and Avid rim rear.....Paid $50.00. It was thick with grease, cleaned it and changed rear brake pads to Koolstop, changes chain and cassette Shimano HG 400, changed the stem to a short one for my reach and a new set of flat bars....runs great....serviced the Rock Shox Judy C......all in all about $125.00 into it.

Likes For Tpsfoto:
Old 09-24-20, 07:11 AM
Brian44t

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have the cantilever brakes working slightly better but they are still under performing with the Cool Stop pads. Is this style of brake just not as good as the modern style rim brakes?

It seems the freewheel needs to be replaced or serviced. It feels like it is actually slipping in some gears and feels like it pops out of gear at times also. I swapped out a different 7 speed wheel and it worked much better. I am not finding 13x30 freewheels on Amazon, anyone have a suggestion?
Old 09-24-20, 10:25 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I have the cantilever brakes working slightly better but they are still under performing with the Cool Stop pads. Is this style of brake just not as good as the modern style rim brakes?

It seems the freewheel needs to be replaced or serviced. It feels like it is actually slipping in some gears and feels like it pops out of gear at times also. I swapped out a different 7 speed wheel and it worked much better. I am not finding 13x30 freewheels on Amazon, anyone have a suggestion?
Cantis are good brakes, but it depends on what type they are. When I had my old schwinn probe; I had long pulls on the front and short pulls on the rear. Despite what some will say on here, I ran linear pull(v-brake) levers and it was awesome. You just gotta fiddle with them and the adjuster on the lever. Cantis are some of my favorite brakes and I still think they're better than linear pulls.
Old 09-24-20, 10:45 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Hi, thanks in advance for your advice. I am looking to find a very inexpensive older mountain bike as a project. I am looking for one with no suspension, lightweight but strong. simple and uncomplicated. I would like to put street oriented all season style tires on it. Possibly this could become a one speed but the purpose will be street, sidewalk, paved trails and maybe a little dirt and gravel. Possibly what some people call a commuter bike.

The conditions I am riding in now are a bit rougher than I prefer for skinny tires so I am looking to set something up cheap as a fun project.

Looking for advice on brands and models to search. Also advice on tires.

Thanks,
Brian
I don't know many that would be lightwieght. Most are around 30-40 lbs. I think my High Sierra is the heaviest bike I own with the Nel Lusso being really close behind it , and it has alloy wheels and thermolite pedals.

As far as the mtb goes, I kick myself for not keeping the original rear wheel for the hub. I ditched the opti... elipsoid crank for a Specialized something crank. I had Deore thumbies from my Lotus Pegasus, along with the Sun Race mtx-100 stem and bars. Some Origin8 threeway adjustable brake levers that were kickin around. Sealed BB. Rides good, feels firm.

But uhh... don't leave out the early 00s bikes either. I have a 800 sport s/t that wasn't bad, just as heavy, being hiten steel. A frame now, don't know what to do with it, since I believe the seatpost is fused to the frame. Was gonna try and sell it.
Old 09-24-20, 11:20 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Make a fixie out of an old Cannodale. The derailleur hanger is gonna break, or is already dust anyway,, super light even with the gears, good handling frame geometry, Run 42-16 with 32 spoke lite rims and look out Justin Smith!

And there will be no invisible rust inside the tubes at least we hope not,
Old 09-25-20, 05:27 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

I put on new Kool Stop pads on my canti brakes as the old pads were rock hard. The pads have to be adjusted correctly, really close to the rim and toed in. I can lock up either front or rear with just one finger on the brifters.

If you're using an old bike where you don't know the history, always best to use new drivetrain components - chainring, cassette and chain. And maybe the derailleur - springs can wear out especially if they're kept in a loaded position.
Old 09-25-20, 09:29 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I can't tell what brake levers you are running, but if someone had changed them to linear/long pull, it will take more effort to apply the brakes.
Old 09-27-20, 07:47 AM
Brian44t

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
@curbtender - I will try to get a pic of the brake levers. I will like to replace them as they are shabby and where they clamp on to the bar is too wide and takes up space my shifter needs.

The brakes are working better with some careful adjustment as I get them figured out but have a ways to go.

I have been buying parts bikes for the wheels. The first one, a ladies Schwinn Frontier was grabbed by my wife, and rightly so as it is way too nice to be parted out. Yesterday I bought a Raleigh USA MTB with good wheels which I have swapped the tires on to and they work great on the 850. The Raleigh frame needs some parts but it might be a future project.

I still may be adjusting front sprocket size and replacing the bottom bracket. 48T right now but i think 44T might be best for what I am going to do. I may re-test my 38T that I have on hand to see what I think.

The brake levers

Last edited by Brian44t; 10-01-20 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 07:06 AM
brightsideofit 

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dunkleosteus
Sweet! I'm also working on a Trek 850, from 84. I got it as just a frame though, so for now it's just a blank canvas of ideas.
How is the 850 coming along?
Old 04-27-21, 01:28 PM
dunkleosteus
on the wheels of steel

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brightsideofit
How is the 850 coming along?
Finished it! I posted it here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21737450
Old 04-28-21, 10:55 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Hi, thanks in advance for your advice. I am looking to find a very inexpensive older mountain bike as a project. I am looking for one with no suspension, lightweight but strong. simple and uncomplicated. I would like to put street oriented all season style tires on it. Possibly this could become a one speed but the purpose will be street, sidewalk, paved trails and maybe a little dirt and gravel. Possibly what some people call a commuter bike.

The conditions I am riding in now are a bit rougher than I prefer for skinny tires so I am looking to set something up cheap as a fun project.

Looking for advice on brands and models to search. Also advice on tires.

Thanks,
Brian
i can sell u mine.
1996ish gary fisher wahoo.
great old school.
Old 04-28-21, 01:00 PM
Brian44t

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
@thehammerdog - You are quoting the first post of a long thread. I have found, bought and sold my project. Someone wanted it more than me when it was done. I appreciate the offer but your bike is probably 1200 miles away.