Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Welcoming a New Classic C&V Steel Rider !!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-15-21, 11:52 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts

This past weekend, my niece finally picked up the '88 Miyata 615 that I gotten from BF.net member sd5782 last year about this time... Due to Covid restrictions from her employer last year, she was not permitted to travel out-of-state without taking two weeks of unpaid quarantine leave.

As purchased from Steve:

All I did was add the correct rear rack, and give it new bright metallic gold brake cables/housing. Oh, and the proper brake levers with the quick releases... ...and new bar tape... and... Anyway, she loves her new ride!!!!

BTW, her boyfriend also picked up her dad's late-'70s Austro-Diamler Vent Noir II. Two more Classic Steel riders into the fold!!!

They live in north-central Idaho, and now they both have proper road bikes!!! Both already have MTBs for off-road riding.

Old 04-15-21, 01:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
nice, sure wish I could get my son into it

Old 04-16-21, 03:07 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
I agree, a nice looking bike. Plus - 2 more steel frame riders.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 04-16-21, 06:33 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Very cool!
Old 04-16-21, 07:07 AM
tendency 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 104 Posts
Beautiful!
Old 04-17-21, 06:38 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 385 Posts
That bike looks very familiar. I am glad she finally got it and likes it. Pics are welcome. That one seemed like a very solid well engineered machine. Did you keep the index shifting and the tires? I was pleased with the ride on that bike and how everything worked together. I was even surprised that those bontrager tires didn’t seem awful. I would have kept it if it was one size larger. Nice that an uncle helped her out. I helped out a niece also by turning her miyata mixte into an upright. Fun stuff too.
Old 04-17-21, 04:09 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
That bike looks very familiar. I am glad she finally got it and likes it. Pics are welcome. That one seemed like a very solid well engineered machine. Did you keep the index shifting and the tires? I was pleased with the ride on that bike and how everything worked together. I was even surprised that those bontrager tires didn’t seem awful. I would have kept it if it was one size larger. Nice that an uncle helped her out. I helped out a niece also by turning her miyata mixte into an upright. Fun stuff too.
Niece only has a couple of blocks to work, so she normally rides a bike rather than taking the car...

Also, she told me that there is a great rail-trail in the area, so those thick-ish Bontrager tires should do nicely on the crushed stone trail.

Yes, I kept the indexed shifting, but gave it new slick stainless shift cables and a new lined rear derailleur housing loop. Her MTB has indexed thumb shifters, so I hope she can transition to downtube shifting (I never could)...

Still needs to have the brake levers adjusted to her, and bars wrapped, but I sent the new bar tape along with them. Still needs new brake pads though...
Likes For Cougrrcj: