Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Two inexpensive medium setback seat posts

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 09:15 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts

I recently purchased two inexpensive seat posts with setbacks around 35mm, measured from the center of the clamp horizontally to the axis of the seat post, when installed on the bike. I wanted to let others know about these, especially if you don't need the full 50mm provided by the IRD Wayback or don't have the budget for it.

The first is the Kalloy SP602, which is road and mountain approved according to Kalloy, and I get about 35mm of setback. The post also has a relatively small clamp, which gains you a few more millimeters but might cause stress on the rails in the long run. I got it new on eBay for 12 Euro, including tax, from this seller: https://www.perpedali.com/Patentsatt...g--silber.html (Edit, looks like they raised their eBay prices to 17 including shipping, but that's still a deal if you are just buying one post). I would imagine that there are US sellers offering the same thing.

The second is a Procraft "Classic" 2-Bolt. I am pretty sure it's a Kalloy SP376, also R/M approved, but it comes in more diameters than Kalloy lists in their catalog and it is made of 7075 and not 2014 Aluminum. I get about 37mm of setback, but I am still not sure about the aesthetics. It cost 17,50 Euro, including tax at https://www.bike-components.de/de/Pr...e-350mm-p7373/ (Incidentally, Procraft and Velo Orange get some of their stems from the same source)

Both of these seatposts share a common trait in that the clamp sits in a concave holder. For its catalog, Kalloy measures setback with the post and the clamp bolt vertical, so far as I can tell. On posts where the clamp sits on a convex curve like the standard Kalloy hook posts, this means the clamp must rotate towards the seatpost axis when you install it on a bike, in order for the rails to be near level. The result is less setback than claimed. On these, the clamp rotates away, resulting in about 10mm more than advertised for both posts.

Hope this is helpful if you are on the lookout for medium setback posts!
Old 02-14-22, 10:05 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I like the design of the one in the second pic.

I currently have a Satori Serpent with 24mm of setback. Fantastic seatpost. You can precisely set saddle tilt without being restricted to specific settings.

However, im still right at the end of the "suggested" rail fore/aft position marking, so either a new saddle or even more setback could be considered at some point. Its a big improvement over standard 15mm setback seatposts however.
Old 02-14-22, 10:41 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
the second one is definitely more modern in design. It comes in black too, both in this branding and directly if you can find it. It is more limited to common modern diameters, though, The other one come in everything from 25,4.

After i posted the thread I realized that these are actually long setback posts by most standards today.

The Procraft'd two bolt system is secure but is a bit finicky. The 602 has teeth, so the adjustment is incremental. But it's stays put.