Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

upgraded brakes for 27"

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

upgraded brakes for 27"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 12:54 AM
robakun

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0, Momentum Street, Sterling Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
upgraded brakes for 27"

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Sterling from the 80's to ride with my daughter and the brakes are not so good especially with the rear. I was wanting to update with some modern brakes with some recent used Shimano components like Ultegra or Durace but with the 27" tires, I am not sure what will work and reach enough to hit the rim. Anyone have any experience in upgrading 27" wheel brakes with more modern components on an older 80's bike? Please advise
Old 03-23-22, 05:36 AM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Can you give more information about what the current brakes on it are? The fact that it has 27 inch wheels isn't really the critical information, unless you are saying that you are changing to 700c wheels at the same time. i would guess that you are going to need a longer reach brake, something like the TRP RG 957 or the Velo Orange Grand Cru, but more information would help. Also, have you tried putting better pads on and changing to new cables and compressionless housing? That can make a big difference in brake performance.
Old 03-24-22, 12:38 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
As I read the o.p., they want to keep the original (27") wheels but use modern caliper brakes. That means longer brake arms but not hugely longer like a 700C conversion. Unless the Sterling was a racebike (unlikely), it's brake clearances might be such that a modern side-pull will fit. Measure. From the center of the brake bolt to the center of the wheel rim directly under the brake bolt. That is the 'reach' of the brake caliper. Call some shops and check online, and see if anything matches up.

All that said, the other posters point is essentially sound: OEM brake components shouldn't be awful for recreational use. Especially, if refreshed with new pads (Kool Stop Salmon, the Gold Standard) and compressionless housing. Way more doable than retrofitting modern calipers (fork crowns and brake bolts designs have changed in four decades), and quite easy on the credit card balance.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-24-22 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-24-22, 11:18 AM
robakun

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
I was wanting to post pictures but being a newbie does not let me post pics or links so till I get 10 posts so I got a bit discouraged...
The front is a Campagnolo Chorus and silver with rounder shape without a release to make more clearance when removing the front wheel. This point of not having a release mechanism bothers me but the work pretty good.
The rear is a Scott Mathauser Super Brake. It has additional spacers to create additional reach to the rim. The rear cable does feel like it needs replacement and will plan to do so.
In general, the mis matched front and rear along with not having quick release capability with poor rear performance is wanting me to upgrade.
Its an old bike so these components are not really the OEM stuff. Now I am thinking about maybe just setting with a matching rear to the front and see what happens.
Old 03-24-22, 05:39 PM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by robakun
Thanks for the reply!
The front is a Campagnolo Chorus and silver with rounder shape without a release to make more clearance when removing the front wheel. This point of not having a release mechanism bothers me but the work pretty good.
What brake levers do you have? If they are Campagnolo the quick release is on the lever. It's a button you push sideways. It's a nice system if a wheel goes out of true you can open it without any loss in breaking and ride home.
Old 03-24-22, 06:59 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Looking at pics of the Scott Matthauser, it doesn't look like it has particularly long reach. And if the campy brake doesn't have a quick release, then I suspect it may be a shorter reach as well. I would definitely try to measure, or take it to a bike shop and see what they say.
If I were just going on this, I'd probably start with regular (39-49) reach brakes, not the longer (47-57) reach brakes. If you have campy levers, the campy brakes offer a little more reach, 51mm, but you'd probably want to get a pair that is dual pivot in the rear, rather than the ones with dual pivot in front and single in the rear in order to have more stopping power. Be aware that the newer shimano brakes are designed to mate with levers that pull relatively more cable than the newer campy or sram brakes, so depending on the levers on your bike, you make want to take that into account.
Old 03-24-22, 07:51 PM
robakun

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
I have Shimano brake levers so i guess I dont have the correct features for release... The Campy caliper does reach so that is one thing reassuring.
The Scott brake has spacers to drop them lower to the wheel. I guess I will try to get a similar rear Campy and try it out. If I need to remove the wheel I will just have tp deflate the tire...
I may eventually get some Dia Compe levers and mount the rear drum brake to complete the classic look...
Old 03-24-22, 11:34 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
If Campy Chorus and Scott M. superbrakes are fitting the Sterling then it does not at all sound like super long reach calipers are needed. Shimano Claris dual pivot sidepulls are relatively inexpensive and there are Forte, and other 2nd tier brands of DP sidepulls that are even cheaper. Worth a try. My guess is that extending the reach of the superbrake in the rear altered the mechanical relationship to the brake levers. Rear brakes on tandems are notorious for poor performance anyway. Compressionless housing is really not optional for tandem rear brakes. It will be an open question what modern calipers do to the 'classic look'. But if you want the performance of modern components, the downside is the risk to the vintage aesthetics.
Old 03-28-22, 04:40 PM
robakun

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up getting a Dia Compe rear BRS 101. I measured my current set up and determined it was 57mm reach. These also has 57mm so should work. Ordered a new cable for the rear also to replace the old one.

BRS101 | Diacompe