Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

2 Nishiki Serals From Local Auction

Old 11-09-19, 05:31 PM
zseastr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Nishiki Serals From Local Auction

Hi everyone,

I think I recently lucked out when I scored 2 mint Nishiki Seral road bikes from a local auction. To be honest, I don't know much about road bikes, especially old ones, but I know enough about bikes to know that these were pristine examples of a vintage ride. I think they're from 1983, but not certain. They're fully silver with original paint. I do need to measure them and see what sizes they are. The bars are Sakae Custom Road Champions, and the rear derailleurs are Suntour Cyclone M-II's. Cranks are Sugino AT's and Wheels are Araya. I'm planning on selling at least one of these fine specimens and was wondering if anybody happens to know what they're worth. From what I understand they are touring bikes, and may be worth something.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 11-10-19, 07:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. A Nishiki Seral with SunTour Cyclone Mk-II would be a circa 1983-1984 model. The difference between a 1983 ans 1984 can be determined by examining the fork. A 1984 will have a threaded boss installed at the mid-point of each fork blade to mount lo-rider racks. A 1983 will not have this feature. The serial numbers will also help to determine the year. As you stated, the Seral was a grand touring model., intended for multi-day tours with heavy loads. They are nice appointed models, lacking few features. Original MSRP would have been $450-$475 US, depending on the exact year.

It's difficult to appraise bicycles without pictures. While they may appear to be pristine to the novice, an experienced eye can pick out issues. At the very least, there's a good probability that they have decades old grease and should be rebuilt. Bicycles of this age also typically require replacement of consumables such as brake pads. cables, tyres, chains and freewheel. Besides cosmetic and mechanical condition, things like frame size, local market conditions and time of year can have a big impact on selling price.

Typically, grand touring bicycles do sell for premiums. However, while the Seral is a very nice bicycle , it is not one of the highly prized models like a Miayta 1000 or a Specialized Expedition. Assuming they really are in pristine cosmetic condition, require few consumables, you live in a good market and sell in-season, they should bring around $300 each. However, that's a ballpark figure without seeing the bicycles and a lot of unknowns.
Old 11-10-19, 09:12 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
How you are going to sell, where you live, ability and willingness to pack and ship at a low cost, overall cosmetics, and your ability to market the bike all enter into its value.

Touring bikes have taken a dip here for sure, particularly those without strong followings. Value here would be less than TMar's and condition is so critical. I've seen nice but as found vintage touring bikes linger on my local C/L at the $100 price. Things as simple as cleaning the bike, airing up the tires, taking good pictures all enter into it. Realize as found on a 36 year old bike means it needs full maintenance end to end, not some simple tune up. And consumables such as tires, tubes, cables, chain, brake pads, bar tape could need replacement.

Shipping is a lot more than just a box. The box is the easy part. Cutting down the box to get reasonable postage, and then carefully packing the bike so it can take a beating in shipment, those are the hard parts.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-10-19 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-10-19, 09:21 AM
zseastr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the help! I just checked the fork and it determines that it is an '84 model. I'll work on getting some photos uploaded for you guys. As far as seller location, I am in Harrisonburg, VA and winter is about to set in. I'm sure that right now isn't an ideal time to sell road bikes, but I have very little in either bike. I would be okay with shipping, but would need to find a box for them.
Old 11-10-19, 09:36 AM
zseastr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's saying I need to have 10 posts before I post pictures. Let me see what I can do.
Old 11-10-19, 01:36 PM
T-Mar

Don't have the time to look at them now but for other members, here's the link to the OP's photo album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/15790228
Old 11-10-19, 02:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Not a bad looking bike. Where do you live? Some knobby tires and you could sell it as a gravel grinder.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-10-19, 03:59 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Take a picture from the drive side (the side with the chain), with the same backdrop. Air up the tires fully (flat tires = big discount). Nice picture! Crop it to remove some of the top and bottom. I'd be tempted to remove the seat bag, its a bit distracting.

You should do well on a local sale. $250, maybe $300.
Old 11-10-19, 06:00 PM
zseastr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a pretty good biking community where I live. (Harrisonburg, VA). And there's also a good one in Charlottesville and Richmond. I'd definitely sell them for $250, so if anyone fairly local to me would like them, you have first dibs. I'll air the tires up and take them out for a ride sometime this week as I have time.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll update this post after I ride them.
Old 11-11-19, 10:17 AM
T-Mar

The serial number indicates 1983 manufacture but that must have been late in the year, as everything is consistent with a 1984 catalogue. It even has the OEM rack. I'd stick with my $300 price, provided you list them in the spring.
Old 11-14-19, 02:12 PM
brennie 

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (3Rensho), Mercian, Miyata TripleCross, Specialized StreetStomper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Pictures would be helpful
Old 11-16-19, 09:43 AM
zseastr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll post some once I get my post count up to 10. I uploaded them to my account, but I'm not allowed to post any yet. Frame appears to be a 23".
Old 10-20-20, 10:18 PM
vendorz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The difference between a 1983 and 1984 can be determined by examining the fork. A 1984 will have a threaded boss installed at the mid-point of each fork blade to mount lo-rider racks. A 1983 will not have this feature. The serial numbers will also help to determine the year. As you stated, the Seral was a grand touring model., intended for multi-day tours with heavy loads. They are nice appointed models, lacking few features. Original MSRP would have been $450-$475 US, depending on the exact year.
Thanks for this detail. I have three Serals -- all serial numbers are KC23000+ and all have the mid-point bosses. One is KC39xxx; so, a lot of frames were produced in 1983. In fact, I have one original receipt from a Washington State vendor showing a price of $500. The receipt, which is dated Aug 1985, reflects the flooded market conditions. I just can't muster any affection for the Nishikis after West Coast Cycle supplied Giant Nishikis.

Hmm... those are not the most impressive pics; they don't do this bike justice.

Last edited by vendorz; 10-20-20 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Detail
Old 02-04-21, 10:40 AM
Johnn0

Bikes: Kokopelli Judge (Ti), Vassago Donnybrook, '83/'84 Nishiki Seral

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I just picked up a Seral for $140 in AZ. Serial number is KC23xxx. Also has a little heart brazed on under the downtube shifter. Lots of character in these bikes. Rebuilding mine into long gravel/forest road touring for a 3 day trip. The more I thinker with it the more I realize how ahead of the times it was.. 3 bottle options, nice lugs, rack and fender options galore.
Old 02-04-21, 01:51 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Congrats on your find. It's a great choice for what you have planned. Have you considered starting a new build thread for your bike? Pretty soon you will have the requisite 10 posts and be able to post pics.

edit: Disregard. I see you already did!

Last edited by Insidious C.; 02-04-21 at 01:56 PM.
Likes For Insidious C.:
Old 02-05-21, 05:47 PM
Johnn0

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I'm waiting for my 10 posts so I can add the pictures. I rode the 'new' bike today and it was great! Brakes still need adjustment and working on a situation for the shifter. Very excited about it.
Old 02-07-21, 04:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnn0
I'm waiting for my 10 posts so I can add the pictures. I rode the 'new' bike today and it was great! Brakes still need adjustment and working on a situation for the shifter. Very excited about it.

what is the situation with the shifter?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-07-21, 08:59 PM
Johnn0

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Setting up a shimano XT mtb shifter on the bars tucked underneath. The standard clamp is 22.2. I’m using a 31.8mm bar clamp and countersinking a bolt through the clamp into the shifter. This was I can use the xt rear derailleur with no tanpans or extra parts.