Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dream Build: SRAM Force Etap or Shimano Dura Ace Di2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dream Build: SRAM Force Etap or Shimano Dura Ace Di2

Old 11-26-21, 09:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't know if anyone else has yet pointed out the obvious, but here it is: if cost really isn't a concern, then you don't mention a price limit.

If there is a price limit (apparently there IS), then the groupset choice involves tradeoffs -- maybe cheaper wheels, a cheaper frameset, whatever. So, it's difficult to give a recommendation without knowing the other priorities and constraints.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
True, but I think $10k can afford a complete bike of some sort with pretty much any groupset mentioned so far.
One could easily hit the $10,000 mark with a lower tier groupset… And so the choice of that groupset will indeed require trade-offs in other components or the frame and fork.

More generally, I always laugh a bit when a poster talks about a “cost no object build,“ and then goes on to give a price limit or to state other concerns about cost.
Old 12-01-21, 04:00 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I have started accumulating bits and pieces to turn one of my Lynskey hardtail mountain bikes into a gravel bike. Not really a no holds bared dream build, but it will be a Ti frame with carbon wheels.

It is going to be Ekar, mostly because I do not like the ergonomics of Shimano or SRAM. And for me that is an important functional difference. If someone else prefers Shimano or SRAM ergonomics, more power to them.

Oh, and chaadster...
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-01-21, 08:37 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
No, no…my point was that Campagnolo is exotic in a variety of ways, not only for the fact of being expensive. It is unusual in the American market. When we talk about “exotic cars,” it’s well understood we’re talking about rare, expensive, top-performing cars, but when we talk about things like “exotic foods” or “exotic flowers,” the understanding is that they come from unfamiliar, far-away places. So, in pointing out that Campagnolo parts are not only pricey but both scarce and made in Romania was to support the notion that Campagnolo is definitely exotic in the US market. Add in the cachet of it being an iconic Italian company and it seems awfully silly to quarrel over the aptness of exotic as an adjective for Campagnolo.

Relatedly, I think Campagnolo make the best-looking gruppos, which is why I have three bikes on Campagnolo 11spd. I did choose SRAM Force AXS for my latest bike because because I wanted the tech and 12spd, however, had I been building a more mountain road oriented gravel bike, I’d have gone Campagnolo Ekar 13spd. I very nearly did, but the gearing spread pushed me to Force AXS. Ekar looks so hot…
I was really torn when I bought my new gravel bike. I could get an Ekar build or a Force XPLR AXS build with a PM for the same price. I really wanted Ekar for aesthetic reasons, but ultimately decided on SRAM for 1) the PM; and 2) I trust electronic to shift cleanly 70 miles in to a dusty gravel event more than I do any mechanical groupset. That and I've never worked on Campy, and know my local shops work a lot more on SRAM and Shimano. Yes, they could work on Ekar, but I'm more confident in SRAM. If I had unlimited resources, I would have probably at least tried Ekar then traded it out because it is gorgeous and I am absolutely intrigued by it.

Oh, I ride with one guy who has Super Record EPS on a bike. It is beautiful.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 12-01-21, 09:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
I was really torn when I bought my new gravel bike. I could get an Ekar build or a Force XPLR AXS build with a PM for the same price. I really wanted Ekar for aesthetic reasons, but ultimately decided on SRAM for 1) the PM; and 2) I trust electronic to shift cleanly 70 miles in to a dusty gravel event more than I do any mechanical groupset. That and I've never worked on Campy, and know my local shops work a lot more on SRAM and Shimano. Yes, they could work on Ekar, but I'm more confident in SRAM. If I had unlimited resources, I would have probably at least tried Ekar then traded it out because it is gorgeous and I am absolutely intrigued by it.

Oh, I ride with one guy who has Super Record EPS on a bike. It is beautiful.
Is he an orthodontist, or does he just do general dentistry? j/k.

For what it's worth, my cousin is a retired domestic pro rider, still gets most stuff (including Campy) at cost, and doesn't spend the extra for Record. He finds Chorus to be good enough. Which tells you how good it is.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-02-21, 01:56 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The thing with the Corvette is that it has the performance numbers.
No, the real "thing" with the Corvette is that it's suitable for use as a daily driver. This is what puts it in a completely different category from the track toys. It's a car for people who will actually use it to get around.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 12-02-21, 02:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
No, the real "thing" with the Corvette is that it's suitable for use as a daily driver. This is what puts it in a completely different category from the track toys. It's a car for people who will actually use it to get around.
Sort of .... I can go to wealthy enclaves is surrounding cities and see lots of people who drive Ferraris daily .... and the only 365 GTB I saw other than on the track was in commuter traffic on a highway outside Boston, Mass.

The "thing" with the Corvette, I guess, is that it is sort of practical---its A/C and heater works, it can carry a set of golf clubs, or three bags of groceries---but it also has all the high-end performance of the Ferrari. (I have not seen one with a bike rack, so .... what a trash car. )

But compared to say, a Camaro .... I'd say it is more exotic .... ? Whatever.

I like Shimano but don't think it is "better," it is just what I am used to. I have an online friend who is a really talented wrench who broke down ho Campy used to have (might still have) a more refined set of ratchets and cog spacers so that the different distances the derailleur has to travel between shifts is accounted for more precisely than SRAM or Shimano set-ups. But ... she herself admits that the difference is so minuscule that it doesn't matter.