Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from the Heartland

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from the Heartland

Old 06-28-22, 08:41 PM
Milspec

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello from the Heartland

A quick introduction before I drive people crazy with questions.

I have been a fairly avid rider for about 7 years (some commuting, some touring, some just for exercise) but never really was very knowledgeable regarding the components and mechanics of the whole thing. I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that was modified by a friend into more of a sport touring bike, but I find myself looking at the components and wondering if I need to start over in some areas as I think they may not have been the best choices for my situation. I need people with more smarts than I have on the subject, so here I am.
Old 06-29-22, 01:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Welcome to these forums. A whole lot of knowledge available here, of which, I have often been the benefactor of. Once you get in your 10 initial posts, FYI, pictures with questions can be a big help for those trying to help you.
Old 07-03-22, 11:49 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Milspec
A quick introduction before I drive people crazy with questions.

I have been a fairly avid rider for about 7 years (some commuting, some touring, some just for exercise) but never really was very knowledgeable regarding the components and mechanics of the whole thing. I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that was modified by a friend into more of a sport touring bike, but I find myself looking at the components and wondering if I need to start over in some areas as I think they may not have been the best choices for my situation. I need people with more smarts than I have on the subject, so here I am.
Depending upon how much money you want to spend, you might want to keep the touring bike for touring, and get something sporty for local rides. The problem/asset with the touring bike is that it is designed to be very stable and many people find that it actually rides better when loaded up, so if you modify stuff with the hope of fundamentally changing the ride characteristics, you might become frustrated.

So what is "your situation" as you put it? What are your requirements, expectations, etc?
Old 07-03-22, 04:43 PM
Milspec

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Basically, I ran into a shifting issue which got me thinking about upgrading some parts and then to maybe just replacing the bike.

Sounds sort of drastic for a simple shifting issue, but the bike is getting older and things have changed to where I wonder if I would better served with doing more than just attacking the shifting issue? It seems to be way cheaper to buy a newer bike than to do major upgrades, so I need to decide what gains there would be? Is my bike really outdated in components quality / function or not? Would a better gear set be a good idea, maybe switch to a double chainring set-up?

Here is a quick breakdown of the specs:

= Surly LHT frame
= Mavic CXP 33 wheels with Continental Contact 700c x 35 tires
= 9 Speed Casette (11-34t)
= Gossamer Triple (52-42-30) crankset
= Deore LX rear Deraillieur / Sora front
= Shimano Ultegra hubs
= Shimano 105 and Tiagra shifters
= Brooks B17 Saddle