Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant Roam 2, Roam 0, and getting a long term hybrid bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-18-15, 09:04 PM
huffypop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, first post here.

Been out of the bike game since high school, 33 now. Want to try to supplement my fitness routine with a bike. My jogging has been giving me knee trouble and I seem to do well on a bike. The area I live has a lot of trails; most are beat up a bit with roots and potholes but are not too nasty, I also have a lot of paved trails in the area. After reviewing my needs with some friends and reading around a hybrid seems the best choice for me.I think I will likely play with the tires as my needs change.

After doing some reading I narrowed my search down to the Trek DS, Specialized Crosstrail, and the Giant Roam. Without doing too much more research I found a 2012 8.3 DS locally for sale on CL. I met the guy and the bike seemed to work great. A lot better than my old bikes. I went ahead and bought it for $260. Took it to the shop and they tuned it up for me and replaced a couple minor things for $150. Works great. But then after I took some long rides it became very obvious that the bike is too big. I'm 5'11" and the bike is a 21". I have to stretch out to hold on to the handles and end up sitting on the tip of the seat which isn't comfortable at all. Although the bike is a bad fit I ride it a lot and love it! All I can think about is finding new places to ride; I'm addicted!

I went to the local shop and road the bikes mentioned above in different sizes. I found the Giant Roam in medium fits perfect. Took it for a longer ride and loved it. I plan to sell the DS and get a Roam.

I want to spend around $600-$700. At my local shop that gets me a Roam 2. But I live near the Canadian border and for about $50 more than the 2 I can get the Roam 0 in Canada after all import duties and taxes. My local shop will give me 6 months of free maintenance that I wouldn't get in Canada. The shop in Canada is an actual Giant store so it's legit, but I doubt I will want to make a lot of trips there if I have issues. My local shop is really good and has rave reviews. I like the guys there and I feel they treated me right fixing up the DS.

I'm wondering if it is worth it to get the 0 over the 2. Looks like the components are all upgraded on the 0 except the frame and tires are the same. And the 0 is a 30 speed compared to 27. I'm looking for a 5+ year bike. The 0 is on sale right now and you get about 25% off with the strong dollar, that is why it's only a little more in cost. For some reason Giant bikes are basically priced the same in Canada. I read more expensive components may brake down more and need more maintenance. 0 does seem to look better, but that is second for me. A long lasting quality bike and a good relationship with a local shop is what I want. I could buy the 0 in Canada and use my local shop for maintenance and parts. I'd like to go new as well after already buying used.

I'd love to hear from anybody who owns these bikes and if there are any other hybrid bikes I should consider I would love to hear about them. Thank you

Roam 2
Roam 2 (2015) | Giant Vancouver

Roam 0
Roam 0 (2015) | Giant Vancouver
Old 08-18-15, 09:35 PM
WRB@Southampton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huffypop, you may also outgrow the hybrid in a few years. I have mine. Developing a good relationship with a LBS you like may help in many ways. Mine has done fit adjustments when I develop certain pains and even a few adjustments free of charge. They've been a big help in my search for my next bike.
Old 08-18-15, 10:13 PM
GOTFrog

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my Roam 2 about 1 month ago, I'm loving it.
Old 08-18-15, 10:41 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 218 Posts
Same here, had mine about a month now and have no regrets. Most bang for the buck IMHO.
I have added these accessories:
Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack (w/o Spring)
Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - MTX TrunkBag DXP
ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
Lumina 750 / Solas 40 Combo |Store - NiteRider
Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Turbo Morph? G

More than likely, I will probably upgrade the tires, pedals, and saddle too.

Love the lockout and disc brakes, but the thing that stood out to me most was... just how smooth this bike is. It coasts so well. While my buddies and I are side-by-side, they are peddling and I'm coasting ...and I'm pulling away from them! Seriously, more than once. I chit you not!

What color scheme did everyone get? Mine, the charcoal and green.

Last edited by one4smoke; 08-18-15 at 10:57 PM.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 08-19-15, 04:43 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
A shorter stem may help you with the fit of the Trek.

I don't have any experience with the other bikes you've mentioned, but I did buy an older Roam 2 on a whim. It's turned into my "go to" bike this year. I love it.
Old 08-19-15, 05:27 PM
huffypop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WRB@Southampton View Post
Huffypop, you may also outgrow the hybrid in a few years. I have mine. Developing a good relationship with a LBS you like may help in many ways. Mine has done fit adjustments when I develop certain pains and even a few adjustments free of charge. They've been a big help in my search for my next bike.
Thank you for this.
Old 08-19-15, 05:29 PM
huffypop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, I have been test riding the Roam 2 and really like it, it felt better than the Trek and Specialized. Anybody have a 1 or 0?