Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Extra security/lock when using hitch bike rack?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-13-21, 04:54 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Hi have the Thule Pro XT hitch bike rack. There is a small integrated lock. Not that I plan to leave my bike on the back unattended for long, but when I do, I'd like additional security. Does anyone have a specific lock they use for this? Ideally it would be a setup that could be driven with while not banging into the bike etc.
Old 06-13-21, 02:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
Watch YouTube videos on how to steal a bike off the rack. Then implement countermeasures. Then, never leave it out of your sight.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-13-21, 02:21 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I have a regular bike security cable, pretty heavy duty. It’s the kind with loops built into each end. I wrap it through both bike frames, both wheels, and then down to the receiver hitch, where I lock it with a big padlock.

I have no illusions that this will stop a determined thug who comes with tools. But it will foil the casual thief just looking for a target of opportunity. It’s all about not leaving your bikes as low hanging fruit.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 06-13-21, 03:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I have a Kryptonite U-Lock for when I was commuting. I use that along with the cable, loop it through the wheels and attack the lock through the receiver chain holes. Works like a champ for short term locking.

Old 06-14-21, 05:21 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
To (a) keep the honest people honest and (b) convince the bike thief to go for the unlocked one in the parking lot, I add an old Kryptonite lock to the integrated cable lock on my Kuat trailer hitch rack whenever I have to risk leaving the bike(s) on the car out of sight or overnight - has worked so far.
Old 06-15-21, 03:07 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Hi have the Thule Pro XT hitch bike rack. There is a small integrated lock. Not that I plan to leave my bike on the back unattended for long, but when I do, I'd like additional security. Does anyone have a specific lock they use for this? Ideally it would be a setup that could be driven with while not banging into the bike etc.
I have the same rack and consider that lock to be bare minimum protection if leaving the bike(s) unseen in a public setting - but then again I bring our bikes into hotel rooms during an overnight stay - seems to me an amateur could cut through those locks pretty quick - if I anticipated having to leave them for some reason I'd consider something mentioned by others on this post .
Old 06-17-21, 07:02 AM
ahmet sezgin
sapiens

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike rack

I will install a Topeak TA2047-B rear rack to Scott Sub Cross 10 bicycle. Just above-left of the derailleur hanger there are two screw holes. Screw hole that is above the other one is more projected. To which one should I install the leg of the rack?
Old 06-19-21, 06:41 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I think it is pretty hard to have both criteria met. I bring my Krypto Cable and Kryptonite U locks when walking away from the car but there isn't a hope in heck I would drive with a lock around my bike. Too much risk for damaging or wrecking the paint on any of my bikes. I certainly don't need the lock banging against anything for a six hour drive.
Old 06-23-21, 11:08 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
To (a) keep the honest people honest and (b) convince the bike thief to go for the unlocked one in the parking lot, I add an old Kryptonite lock to the integrated cable lock on my Kuat trailer hitch rack whenever I have to risk leaving the bike(s) on the car out of sight or overnight - has worked so far.
Same here. That cable lock on the Kuat doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for me personally. If I am driving and needed a bathroom break at a gas station I take the chance that it keeps anyone from walking off with it too easily. Otherwise, I will use a Kryptonite chain and lock. I put one of those seat-belt lambskin type things on the chain to soften it up against the carbon frame. I wouldn't dare try to drive with it like that though.
Old 06-24-21, 01:16 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
A heavy duty plastic coated chain with lock, or a D-lock if it's compatible and fits over the frame/rack. Most hitch racks come with a cable lock that's fairly useless.

I never leave my bike out of sight when it's on the hitch though, I'm a little paranoid like that.