Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Food found or bought on your commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Food found or bought on your commute

Old 01-25-22, 10:02 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I'm commuting between Brooklyn and Manhattan, so I'm really not coming across any fresh fruit windfalls.

But I stop here once in a while...

Unfortunately, looks like it's boarded up now, out of business. Another victim of either COVID or NYC's insane real estate costs.
Old 01-25-22, 08:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
One of the best values in food in NYC lately comes from these pushcarts, especially those selling halal food. We call them the halal carts. "Halal" is Arabic for "permitted" and halal food for Muslims has virtually the same rules as kosher food for Jews. Not that I follow either set of rules. It's just that the food is good and inexpensive. The carts are all over Manhattan. After hours, the carts are hauled by SUV.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-25-22, 08:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
In blackberry season I frequently stop on the way home and have a before-dinner snack. There's enough variation in sun exposure that I have ripe berries en-route from the beginning of the season to the end.

Not commute but... a couple years ago I set out on a 50 mile round-trip ride, and 10 miles in realized I'd left my wallet. Recalling an apple tree along the trail a mile or so back, I headed back to stock up. I loaded up my jersey pockets and carried on. IIRC, I finished with a couple apples to spare.
Old 01-25-22, 09:20 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I've enjoyed a few fiddleheads from trailside ferns and make a bit of a point of getting water from springs when available.
Old 01-25-22, 11:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
One of the best values in food in NYC lately comes from these pushcarts, especially those selling halal food. We call them the halal carts. "Halal" is Arabic for "permitted" and halal food for Muslims has virtually the same rules as kosher food for Jews. Not that I follow either set of rules. It's just that the food is good and inexpensive. The carts are all over Manhattan. After hours, the carts are hauled by SUV.
This reminds me of "The Pushcart War"

The Pushcart War is a popular children's novel by the American writer Jean Merrill, illustrated by Ronni Solbert[1] and first published by W. R. Scott in 1964. It is Merrill's best known work.[1] The story is written in the style of a historical report from the future, looking back at the events of a "war" that occurred a decade earlier on the streets of New York City between trucking companies and pushcart owners who use pea shooters as weapons to disrupt the trucks.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-06-22, 11:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Surprised to find a couple of very late oranges today!
Genesis 49:16-17