Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Force AXS 1x12 noisy

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-17-22, 06:14 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hello cycling friends. I have a 2021 Specialized Tarmac PRO w/SRAM Force AXS 1x12. Roughly 5000 miles on the bike. I keep the thing fairly immaculate, especially the drivetrain. Original chainrings and cassette. Replaced the chain ~1500 miles ago.
My question to the group is about drivetrain noise and indexing. My shifting is crisp enough, although I really don't understand how to index this thing properly using the micro-click method, Whats annoying is that there is a lot of drivetrain noise coming from the chain/cassette. I use ChainPro Max lube and love it. Just seems noisier than it should almost all the time. I would love any feedback, suggestions, links, therapy, anything. Thanks.
Old 04-17-22, 06:41 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
The micro-adjust feature works just like the cable tension adjustment on a mechanical RD. If the shifts to larger sprockets is hesitant, use the left lever adjust the center of travel to the left. Right adjustment is done with the right lever. Hold the axs button while making a shift to make a micro-adjust.

RD hanger alignment is important. Check and correct alignment first. Parktool.com has the tool. Micro-adjusting a RD that's out of alignment is a waste of time.

Sram has videos on all of this.
Old 04-17-22, 07:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Has the drivetrain been noisy from Day One? Or has it gotten worse over time?

Someone with better mechanical knowledge may correct me, but I suspect that 1x drivetrains are inherently a bit noisier than 2x drivetrains, since the chain will likely more often be skewed at more extreme angles between the chainring and cassette. (Is your bike quieter when on the middle cogs, and noisier at the extreme ends of the cassette? That would lend credence to my theory.)
Old 04-17-22, 08:03 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Force cassettes don't have the rubber dampers that red cassettes come with. You can buy them for fairly cheap and it'll quiet things down.

though, I think if you have the chrome (as opposed to the older black) force cassette, those come with some (but not all) the Stealth rings.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop....php?id=108916
Old 04-17-22, 10:24 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Hello cycling friends. I have a 2021 Specialized Tarmac PRO w/SRAM Force AXS 1x12. Roughly 5000 miles on the bike. I keep the thing fairly immaculate, especially the drivetrain. Original chainrings and cassette. Replaced the chain ~1500 miles ago.
My question to the group is about drivetrain noise and indexing. My shifting is crisp enough, although I really don't understand how to index this thing properly using the micro-click method, Whats annoying is that there is a lot of drivetrain noise coming from the chain/cassette. I use ChainPro Max lube and love it. Just seems noisier than it should almost all the time. I would love any feedback, suggestions, links, therapy, anything. Thanks.
What don't you understand about it? It's dead simple...you press the AXS button on either shifter and then click the shifter while holding the button down...the derailleur moves .25mm in that direction. With electronic shifting the only time you'd need to adjust is when switching wheels (maybe) or if you have a bent hanger, but you'd want to align the hanger and not adjust for an out of alignment hanger.
Also this is a mechanical question and should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' and not here.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-17-22, 11:32 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Force cassettes have all had the noise reducing stealth rings for almost 2 years now. I bought two early model 10-36 cassettes in July of 2020 and they had them.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 04-17-22, 12:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Short chain stays + 1x = more noise.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-17-22, 05:20 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
If you know how to adjust a mech RD, the microshift set up is similar. It's not hard and there's a lot of video on YouTube about how to do it.

Not familiar with your lube but if your chain got grit in it or the lube isn't great, you can go through most of a chain in 1500 miles. That's worth checking. As for lubes, since I came out, I've been using the new Silca stuff and it's extended the wear on my chains about 3X what they were before and is very quiet. The drivetrain gets noisier as the chain, cassette and chainrings wear. So I'd check the chain first, then the chain ring, then the cassette.
Old 04-18-22, 11:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
What don't you understand about it? It's dead simple...you press the AXS button on either shifter and then click the shifter while holding the button down...the derailleur moves .25mm in that direction. With electronic shifting the only time you'd need to adjust is when switching wheels (maybe) or if you have a bent hanger, but you'd want to align the hanger and not adjust for an out of alignment hanger.
Also this is a mechanical question and should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' and not here.
It's even more simple now you can trim it directly from the SRAM phone app. It has 30 steps of micro-adjustment range
Old 04-20-22, 12:17 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Hello cycling friends. I have a 2021 Specialized Tarmac PRO w/SRAM Force AXS 1x12.
I’d be interested in seeing some photos of your Tarmac with that drivetrain. Did you install it yourself? What size chainring to you have? Do you find that the gearing limits you? If so, how?
All my bikes are 1x12, so I’m interested in hearing your opinions on yours
Old 04-20-22, 06:34 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I changed from a quiet 2x 9000 crank with SRAM AXS Red derailleurs to SRAm AXS Red 1x 48T. Not as quiet. It seems the 1X alternating narrow wide teeth pattern are a little noisy. Not awful but noticeable
Old 04-21-22, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Are you on a indoor trainer? Turn up the radio or television.

Riding outside? Get over 16 mph so the wind noise in your ears drowns it out. Though it's unlikely at any speed they your friends riding next to it are bothered by it or even can hear it.

If it is truly noisier than others, then make sure it's adjusted properly and keep the chain lubed.

It is possible that getting a crank or rings and cogs made of different materials from a lower tier level product might help.
Old 04-30-22, 05:31 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The micro-adjust feature works just like the cable tension adjustment on a mechanical RD. If the shifts to larger sprockets is hesitant, use the left lever adjust the center of travel to the left. Right adjustment is done with the right lever. Hold the axs button while making a shift to make a micro-adjust.

RD hanger alignment is important. Check and correct alignment first. Parktool.com has the tool. Micro-adjusting a RD that's out of alignment is a waste of time.

Sram has videos on all of this.
Thank you for the feedback.