Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Salvaged steel fork, one dropout bent. Options?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 03:46 AM
70slibrarymusic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I bought this steel fork for like 5 USD that just happened to fit my bike perfectly. The current fork on it is a hassle cos of its french standard inner diameter and the threads start too high (mismatched fork). Here's the catch, as I tried to fit on my wheelset, quickly found out that only one side was slotting in.

So as you can see, one dropout is bent and slots in just right while the other is probably untouched. Want to go as cheap as possible but safe. Should I just file the dropout that doesn't fit? Do I need to realign the bent dropout and then file both? Or do I just have someone swap the steerer tubes between this fork and the one I was using before?
Old 02-11-22, 03:57 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
That looks to me as though you have a fork with slots for a 5/16" axle and you have a 9mm (bigger) axle on your wheel.

If so the fix is simple.

a) bend the bent one back; if possible get a bit of 5/16" thick something to put between the tines when you squeeze it. You need the slot to be square.

b) file one side - the same side - of each slot to fit your 9mm axle.

When doing b) it is helpful to clamp the slot in a vice with just the amount you want to remove proud of the jaws; support the steerer end somehow.
Old 02-11-22, 04:21 AM
70slibrarymusic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oneclick
That looks to me as though you have a fork with slots for a 5/16" axle and you have a 9mm (bigger) axle on your wheel.

If so the fix is simple.

a) bend the bent one back; if possible get a bit of 5/16" thick something to put between the tines when you squeeze it. You need the slot to be square.

b) file one side - the same side - of each slot to fit your 9mm axle.

When doing b) it is helpful to clamp the slot in a vice with just the amount you want to remove proud of the jaws; support the steerer end somehow.
So filing just the side the doesn't fit won't cut it?
Old 02-11-22, 04:44 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
JMO, you paid $5 too much for the fork.
Old 02-11-22, 05:30 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
jmo, you paid $5 too much for the fork.
+1.
Old 02-11-22, 06:26 AM
70slibrarymusic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by delbiker1
JMO, you paid $5 too much for the fork.
To be fair, cycling's gone to be a real craze in the Philippines these past two years. Low-end Peugeot's/Raleigh's/Fuji's/etc. (Hi-tens tubing) go for about 200-300 USD now on "surplus" shops. Most new bikes went up about 20-30 USD at the lowest price points. Just a bad time to get into buying bike stuff in this country really. There are brand new threaded forks on South East Asia's form of Amazon and they go for about 10-12 USD without shipping. Been reading reviews and it seems like the quality control is really bad as most of them complain about the misalignment so with all that considered, I don't think it's such a bad deal considering it really is the perfect size for my frame. I understand where you're coming from though, I really did rush buying this and could've gotten one for free if I just waited.
Old 02-11-22, 07:16 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I am not sure what bent the drop out to begin with. Perhaps the fork is also bent elsewhere and needs to be checked. More pictures for us, of the complete fork might be helpful. That said...

Bend the drop out back into place, measuring carefully to ensure that the drop slot is even all the way from top to bottom. Make a few file passes on one side and an equal number on the other side. Try the axle. You will, most likely, have to do this a few times. The purpose is to get the drop slot wide enough to fit the axle and keep the drop reasonably well centered on the fork. Once satisfied with fit, file the other drop until it also fits, if necessary.

All that said, the fork is very low end and, for me, would not be worth the effort to repair. However, I live in an area where bikes are cheap and easily come by. It occurs to me that that situation is not the case for you in the area in which you live. With that in mind, I wish you the best of luck with your repair effort and would not worry much about the safety factor. The repair suggested will, most likely, not negatively impact safety.
Old 02-11-22, 07:19 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by 70slibrarymusic
So filing just the side the doesn't fit won't cut it?
The bent side doesn't let the axle seat all the way down anyway so you should do it the way oneclick suggested to ensure you get good alignment.

I've been chasing a minor alignment issue on my Peugeot fork and its amazing how much difference a very small change at the dropout can make.
Old 02-11-22, 09:18 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Make a few file passes on one side and an equal number on the other side.
I disagree.

File only one side; keep the other as a reference surface for the axle. It does you no good to have them the right size but have the axle mis-aligned.
Likes For oneclick: