Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weird single creak when pedalling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-15-22, 08:21 AM
aravindp

Bikes: Movello :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I used to bike a lot 20 years back. With the pandemic work-culture and weight gain forced me to rethink of getting back to rolling :-).
Bought a 26" bike around 1 year back (Walmart), not the best. Got help from a local tuner. Changed the rear tire.

My problem is, the otherwise silent bike emits a single creak (more like a clink-creak, can't describe exactly) when pedalling when my right foot is at 1-3 O' Clock. if i back pedal, no issues.
Wondering if anyone could tell me where to look.
Thanks
Old 05-15-22, 08:54 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not 'GD'.
Old 05-15-22, 08:59 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 185 Posts
Welcome. I have two thoughts: loose or ungreased pedal & loose bottom bracket. Here's how I'd approach both.

For the loose pedal, you'll need a 15mm pedal wrench. Make sure both pedals are as tight as possible, keeping in mind the right-side pedal is righty-tighty, while the left side pedal is left-loosey (opposite direction to tighten). If you aren't sure the threads are greased, remove the pedals, grease the threads liberally, reinstall the pedals and wipe the excess grease. No grease can cause a creak.

For the loose bottom bracket, you'll need tools that you might not have. You'll need to remove the non-drive-side crankarm, and this requires a shallow 14 or 15mm socket wrench for the crankarm bolt and a crank puller to get the crankarm off the spindle. Once you get that crankarm off, remove the bottom bracket lockring (if there is one) and you can tighten the adjustable cup. Here you'll need a bottom bracket tool in some cases, whereas a spanner is used in others. Tighten to the point where there is no play in the bottom bracket but no binding either.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 05-15-22, 10:09 AM
aravindp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Welcome. I have two thoughts: loose or ungreased pedal & loose bottom bracket. Here's how I'd approach both.
Thank you. I might need to buy the tools. It's very hard to get an appointment at LBS and the trusty home tuner is very far away. I'll try to source the tools this week (just bought the chain tools from amazon)

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not 'GD'.
Thank you, my bad i missed that section. How can find the admin to this section to move the thread. Thanks
Old 05-15-22, 10:32 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
...If you aren't sure the threads are greased...
Welcome to the forum! So ya got a Walmart Bike and are now cycling, Bravo!

I have had quite a few people bring thier Walmart bikes over for a good look and Ill tell ya they are all different and they all need adjusting. First off, assume that nothing is properly oiled or greased. On two bottom brackets I found literally no grease what so ever. There was just some kind of waxy spray. I think it could be because of shipping regulations but who knows. I would suggest that you do a proper lube over the entire bike and don't be afraid of over doing it. Also, don't get fancy, "30wt Motor Oil" and "Marine Grease" is just fine. WD40 is for cleaning not lubing.

Walmart bikes fill an important void. They will allow ya to ride and learn just what kind bike you want. For the most part they are worth it as they allow you to get in and get dirty without the worry of destroying a really expense bike. Your next bike I predict will be much different but for now ride and enjoy... That's what it's all about...
Old 05-15-22, 10:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A wealth of info to be found. Enjoy your ride.

Old 05-15-22, 11:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Sometimes the spokes of the wheels will make a raspy groan at certain places during the pedal stroke. For me it's usually when slow and putting out a lot of power to accelerate fast. And sometimes spokes will make one or two, clink, clink, clink sounds.

But you are going to have to provide more info to somehow narrow down the many many things it might be. And to be certain, strange to you noises aren't necessarily anything bad or something that needs to be fixed.

Welcome to BF.
Old 05-16-22, 09:03 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by aravindp
Hi All,
I used to bike a lot 20 years back. With the pandemic work-culture and weight gain forced me to rethink of getting back to rolling :-).
Bought a 26" bike around 1 year back (Walmart), not the best. Got help from a local tuner. Changed the rear tire.

My problem is, the otherwise silent bike emits a single creak (more like a clink-creak, can't describe exactly) when pedalling when my right foot is at 1-3 O' Clock. if i back pedal, no issues.
Wondering if anyone could tell me where to look.
Thanks
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't. Another thing to consider is that the frame and components are flexing from pedaling forces, and so you can get a click or creak sound where you think it couldn’t be – for example the seat post & clamp can make noise even when you are standing and pedaling due the frame flexing. Here’s a link if you don’t like reading the rest of this post: Bicycle Touring Tips, Lessons Learned, and Tricks of the Trade

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from

- BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), the faces of tapered BB axles if they have a little corrosion

- bolt holding the BB cable guide onto the frame (grease threads and make sure the bolt is not touching the BB shell inside the frame)

- BB cable guide (grease threads and tighten)

- crank bolts (grease threads and washers)

- chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms)

- a dirty chain, inadequately lubed chain, stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain

- front derailleur clamp (clean and put a light film of grease on the inside of the clamp where it touches the seat tube)

- front derailleur cage hitting crank arm

- the pedals (grease the threads and the shoulders of the axle where it butts against the crank arm, get some wax, silicone etc. on the cleats, check for play in the bearings, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible)

- shoes/cleats - loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals (wax lube, silicone, or furniture polish)

- seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post clamp, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body)

- bars and stem (grease the stem where it clamps to steerer or goes into the steerer if quill type, top cap, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem)

- grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame

- tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers

- grease steerer tube spacers (if threadless)

- replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble)

- any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.)

- cables hitting the frame (cable donuts), or shifting in their end ferrules (lube contact points).

Wheels can make noises when pedaling or coasting (check for spoke tension, particularly on the rear non drive side, put a drop of lube where each pair of spokes cross and where each spoke enters the rim and the hub flange, check for loose metal bits or spoke nipples in the body of the rim and cracks in the rim at spoke holes.).

Clicks that happen when you coast can come from:

- computer wheel magnet hitting the pickup (computer pickup reed switch noise cannot be fixed)

- nuts on threaded Presta valve stems (throw the nut away)

- valve stems hitting/moving against the rim

- wheel reflectors wobbling.

- pinned rim joint flexing

- bits of loose metal inside the rim left over from manufacturing

Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-18-22, 09:44 PM
Hoosier slider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. I thought it was something in my crank/bottom bracket. It was going on for a few rides. Turned out my kickstand was barely touching a single rear spoke when I torqued my crank.
Old 05-19-22, 05:08 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
I'd consult with a urologist about that, if I were you.
Old 05-19-22, 09:09 AM
Hoosier slider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I'd consult with a urologist about that, if I were you.
I can see how that's advisable.
Old 05-26-22, 12:46 PM
aravindp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all thank you all for your replies. Sorry for the late update I was sick last week.

Originally Posted by zandoval
Welcome to the forum! So ya got a Walmart Bike and are now cycling, Bravo!
Walmart bikes fill an important void. They will allow ya to ride and learn just what kind bike you want. For the most part they are worth it as they allow you to get in and get dirty without the worry of destroying a really expense bike. Your next bike I predict will be much different but for now ride and enjoy... That's what it's all about...
True

Originally Posted by Iride01
Sometimes the spokes of the wheels will make a raspy groan at certain places during the pedal stroke. For me it's usually when slow and putting out a lot of power to accelerate fast. And sometimes spokes will make one or two, clink, clink, clink sounds.

But you are going to have to provide more info to somehow narrow down the many many things it might be. And to be certain, strange to you noises aren't necessarily anything bad or something that needs to be fixed.

Welcome to BF.
This sound is more like a clink...creak

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't. Another thing to consider is that the frame and components are flexing from pedaling forces, and so you can get a click or creak sound where you think it couldn’t be – for example the seat post & clamp can make noise even when you are standing and pedaling due the frame flexing. Here’s a link if you don’t like reading the rest of this post:

Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.
Bought myself tools and will soon start checking one by one

Originally Posted by Hoosier slider
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. I thought it was something in my crank/bottom bracket. It was going on for a few rides. Turned out my kickstand was barely touching a single rear spoke when I torqued my crank.
checked already.

The sound is very strange, it's not coming when i freewheel pedal. Only when i pedal and use force every time when my right foot gets to between 2-3'O Clock. More like a clink creak (sometime i feel like a metal ball dropping some where)
I need to check one-by-one

Thank you all for your inputs.
Old 05-26-22, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had a rhythmic clicking sound that was driving me crazy till I figured out that the FD cable end was bent outwards and the end cap was clicking against my crankarm on every pedal stroke.