Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

clothing material recommendation?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 05:17 PM
wc1472

Bikes: 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I usually bike to get around in the city I live but I have had a lot of annoyances with my favorite jeans and boxers etc wearing out after about 3 months of use, Is this something that could be fixed with switching to polyester fabric or something like that ?
Old 01-05-22, 05:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,180 Posts
Wearing out due to chafing ?, Rubbing ?. No synthetic will do better. Cowboy chaps maybe ?.
Old 01-05-22, 06:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I think dedicated synthetic cycling pants would work better than cotton. Many bike-specific clothing companies make full- length cycling pants that look like regular office wear, with pockets, belt loops, etc. but are poluestto prevent wearing quickly. They may be a little pricey.

However for the last ten years I commuted in "performance" fabric golf shorts with similar fabric long-legged athletic pants in winter and they'd last about a year to 18 months of near daily riding. Bought at close-out outlets the shorts are under $25 and the long-pants were from Wal-Mart and only $15.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-05-22, 07:00 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Synthetic fleece pants offer staggeringly great durability in my experience. Smooth-finish synthetic pants last well, too, but the fleece pants are amazing. A couple of pairs of mine are a decade or more old and still show very little wear despite my commuting with them in all but the hottest weather.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-06-22, 12:06 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Levi’s Commuter 511 last a couple years. Can’t always find them. Fit varies because the different colors are actually different weight and stretch fabric.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-07-22, 08:32 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Heavier denim usually holds up pretty good. I definitely have not worn anything out in 3 months that seems pretty fast.
Old 01-10-22, 06:01 PM
jimbaddabim

Bikes: 1995 Gary Fisher Cronus 1986 Ciocc 1984? Schwinn Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
If you must ride around in jeans, Levi's 501s. Nice and heavy and when they are new, they turn your legs blue if you work up a sweat. Good times. I ride in jeans all the time.
Old 01-21-22, 03:21 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I just got a pair of chrome pants on clearance at a local store. they have water resistant legs feel good all day and block some wind. https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...d=pants_shorts
Old 01-26-22, 07:48 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I just bought a pair or Wrangler ATG's. They are nylon/spandex, and look like a standard pair of pants so I don't have to change at work. They are only $27 at Target: https://www.target.com/p/wrangler-me...16#lnk=sametab

Originally Posted by wc1472
Hi, I usually bike to get around in the city I live but I have had a lot of annoyances with my favorite jeans and boxers etc wearing out after about 3 months of use, Is this something that could be fixed with switching to polyester fabric or something like that ?
Old 01-26-22, 09:48 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by timdow
I just bought a pair or Wrangler ATG's. They are nylon/spandex, and look like a standard pair of pants so I don't have to change at work. They are only $27 at Target: https://www.target.com/p/wrangler-me...16#lnk=sametab
Now you tell me. let us know how long they last.
I got these guys to help with the rain so maybe I didn't to have to stop and put on my rain pants. but I used them when it was 29 degrees today and my legs kept warm no problem. so far it has not rained yet. they may be a bit warm if your in a warm room.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-28-22, 02:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Any luck finding new trousers?

PS What saddle are you riding?
Old 02-05-22, 02:10 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Yes, my (cotton) jeans will wear out right where they rub the saddle in 3 months of biking, whereas my (synthetic) bike shorts or workout shorts last years and years without any sign of wear where they rub.

For underwear I started using ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief and it also just doesn't doesn't wear out from rubbing. It's not cheap but it lasts almost forever.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 02-05-22, 10:03 PM
milomaltedmilk

Bikes: Montague franken-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
However for the last ten years I commuted in "performance" fabric golf shorts with similar fabric long-legged athletic pants in winter and they'd last about a year to 18 months of near daily riding. Bought at close-out outlets the shorts are under $25 and the long-pants were from Wal-Mart and only $15.
Can confirm, I've been riding in Target golf pants all winter (with thermal leggings under when required). They are definitely better at taking a beating than jeans, are more stretchy, and dry very quickly if they get wet. You could probably find something similar for less $ at a closeout store.
Old 02-08-22, 11:12 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The nice thing about the Wrangler ATG's is that they have an elastic zip cord on each leg. I have ridden 42 degrees to work and they were fine. Any colder or with rain, and I would choose to add overpants or a different option.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
Now you tell me. let us know how long they last.
I got these guys to help with the rain so maybe I didn't to have to stop and put on my rain pants. but I used them when it was 29 degrees today and my legs kept warm no problem. so far it has not rained yet. they may be a bit warm if your in a warm room.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-08-22, 11:50 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by timdow
The nice thing about the Wrangler ATG's is that they have an elastic zip cord on each leg. I have ridden 42 degrees to work and they were fine. Any colder or with rain, and I would choose to add overpants or a different option.
I am trying to get away without rain pants unless it is really raining a lot.
Old 02-13-22, 02:03 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Some kind of cycling-oriented pants from Chrome or Swrve (I think the stretch properties help reduce wear) over regular boxer briefs have worked well for me. If it's a long commute I go for cycling shorts instead of underwear and just change at the office.