Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Super Sport 1965?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-21-22, 10:00 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

Years ago I posted my Super Sport and thought it was a 1965, members back then thought the same.
I pulled it out of the mothballs, cleaned it up, tuned it, and decided to recheck the serial number, to my surprise it doesn’t seem to pop up and the charts? The numbers K5118 if anyone wants to give it a search.

Likes For ilikebikes:
Old 04-21-22, 10:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'd go with October 1965 and it is the 118th SuperSport off the production line.

I base that on the text written at this place and not the chart at the bottom of the same page.

1964-1969 Super Sports and 1968 S/S Tourers (whose Serial Numbers are located on the left rear axle hanger and consist of a single letter code for the month [again, skip "I" and "O"], the last digit of the year and a 3-digit sequential build number -- e.g. 'K6018' is the 18th frame built in October of 1966).
https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/serial.htm

There doesn't seem to be a great SN lookup for SuperSports in general. And that serial number is much shorter and gives way less info than do many of the other Chicago Schwinn's and Waterford Paramount I use to own.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-22-22, 09:25 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Is there a number stamped into the “Schwinn” logo disk on the head tube. If so, that’s the date of final assembly (first 3 digits are the Julian date and the last digit is the year). The date code on the frame is the date the frame was manufactured. If the frame date is October, the date of final assembly is likely to be in the same year but frames of later dates i.e. Nov or Dec could be for bike of the next model year.
BTW, the OP’s bike is a very nice specimen of the vintage. Just seeing it brought back a “flood of memories”! I was a young teen in the mid-60s. Of my Jr High school buddies, one had a SuperSport, one had a Varsity and I had a Continental. My friend with the Varsity and I definitely envied our friend with the SuperSport!
Likes For sovende:
Old 04-22-22, 01:07 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved from General to C&V.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-22-22, 04:22 PM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Nice bike, can you tell me who makes the water bottle and carrier?
Old 04-22-22, 05:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
-----

the hinged mounting clamps for the cage are something which was done by Allara/AL-E

other makers may have done this as well...

Schwinn Approved bottle cages and bottles of this era came from AFA (Poutrait Morin); this is not one of those

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-22-22, 10:51 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Any info on the specs of the bike, like brakes, crank rings, cassette, etc.?
Old 04-23-22, 05:56 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
Looks familiar:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...per-sport.html

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 04-23-22, 07:33 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Thank you! The water bottle is new, the cage is one of five I had sitting around for years, I figured since it’s stamp “Sprint” (like the rest of the components on the SS) I would add it to the SS.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 04-23-22 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 07:35 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the hinged mounting clamps for the cage are something which was done by Allara/AL-E

Schwinn Approved bottle cages and bottles of this era came from AFA (Poutrait Morin); this is not one of those

-----
The cage is one of five I had sitting around for years, I figured since it’s stamp “Sprint” (like the rest of the components on the SS) I would add it to the SS, and the clamps were on the cage when I got it.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 04-23-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 07:50 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by top506
I’m pretty sure many years ago pastorbob offered this bike up in trade for my SS as his was my size and vice versa, but (Of course) it never happened.
Old 04-23-22, 08:31 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

-----

-----
Proof is in the puddin’ 😉

Old 04-23-22, 08:42 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

The water cage is Schwinn Sprint, Schwinn Approved. I grabbed another bottle to replace the newer stainless steel bottle…

Old 04-23-22, 10:14 AM
juvela

-----

thanks very much for the information on the bottle cage.

all the Schwinn Approved examples could recall were AFA/Poutrait-Morin products

able to see from the additional images provided that this example is indeed an Allara/AL-E

here is the VB listing illustrating two different generations of your model badged as an AL-E

the first seven pictures show the clasp accomplished with a toggle rather than springs

and the last two with the springs version:

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...=103&AbsPos=18

thanks again.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-25-22 at 02:44 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-25-22, 02:50 PM
juvela

-----

not all Schwinn Super Sport model cycles of this time received the same fork

here is the fork of a 1966 example

the crown employed is the NERVEX Pattern Nr. 6

-----
Old 04-30-22, 11:45 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

-----

not all Schwinn Super Sport model cycles of this time received the same fork

here is the fork of a 1966 example

the crown employed is the NERVEX Pattern Nr. 6

-----
Nice! My fork doesn’t have that crown. 😩