Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Downhill cornering at the opposite lane???

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-12-22, 02:28 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

It happens at 3:58 of this video. Rider wearing blue jersey comes out at the right, and then crosses the opposite lane into the turn in a blind corner I might add.

It seems he went back to the centerline.... Looks dangerous. If another rider or motorist, crossed the centerline as he did, they can collide or end up falling as they try to dodge each other.

Old 05-12-22, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I skipped to that point in the video and I can't tell if the guy moved across the line when he could actually see around the blind corner as he moved further to his left, but it's reasonable that he likely could. You aren't seeing it from his perspective which is changing as he enters the curve.

But yeah, rushing around a blind corner in the wrong lane without ascertaining whether the lane is clear is obviously stupid. I just think that it's not likely that's what we're seeing here. From the look of that route, someone doing that would probably be Darwined very quickly.
Old 05-12-22, 06:17 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I skipped to that point in the video and I can't tell if the guy moved across the line when he could actually see around the blind corner as he moved further to his left, but it's reasonable that he likely could. You aren't seeing it from his perspective which is changing as he enters the curve.

But yeah, rushing around a blind corner in the wrong lane without ascertaining whether the lane is clear is obviously stupid. I just think that it's not likely that's what we're seeing here. From the look of that route, someone doing that would probably be Darwined very quickly.
Assuming, you can see around the blind corner in that position, would it be possibly safer? It does seem you have better visibility around the blind corner in that position. The only problem if someone goes blazing around that corner like a crazy rocket coming at you, you can see them but you'll have little time to react. I've often seen motorcyclists riding like suicidal maniacs do that. Less so from cagers.

And would you do it yourself?

I've been skipping around that video and didn't see for once GCN presenters Simon or Connor crossed into the opposite at any time. Let know if I missed it.
Old 05-12-22, 06:25 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Less so from cagers.
I'm thinking we might have a sock on the forums.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-12-22, 06:50 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I've suspected something, but I'm waiting for a post asking how long paper spacers should last on a freewheel before I make up my mind.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-12-22, 06:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I'm not sure why I would care about this.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-12-22, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by couldwheels
Assuming, you can see around the blind corner in that position, would it be possibly safer? It does seem you have better visibility around the blind corner in that position. The only problem if someone goes blazing around that corner like a crazy rocket coming at you, you can see them but you'll have little time to react. I've often seen motorcyclists riding like suicidal maniacs do that. Less so from cagers.

And would you do it yourself?

I've been skipping around that video and didn't see for once GCN presenters Simon or Connor crossed into the opposite at any time. Let know if I missed it.

I think you missed the point. I suspect he could already see around the corner BEFORE he moved to that position. I'm not going to watch the video obsessively to figure out if anyone else took a corner that way, but it doesn't appear to me to be crazy.

I don't know if I would do it myself because I can't see it from the rider's perspective. If I can clearly see both lanes are empty, I might if it made the corner easier.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-12-22, 07:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I've suspected something, but I'm waiting for a post asking how long paper spacers should last on a freewheel before I make up my mind.

It's definitely NOT that guy.
Old 05-12-22, 08:03 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

I think you missed the point. I suspect he could already see around the corner BEFORE he moved to that position. I'm not going to watch the video obsessively to figure out if anyone else took a corner that way, but it doesn't appear to me to be crazy.

I don't know if I would do it myself because I can't see it from the rider's perspective. If I can clearly see both lanes are empty, I might if it made the corner easier.
I guess I'll just have to see for myself. I rarely venture into sparse traffic roads in the mountains. The mountains I go to have enough traffic volume that nobody would dare ride the opposite lane.
Old 05-12-22, 08:11 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
It's definitely NOT that guy.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 05-12-22, 08:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
So people actually watch videos so they can nit pick what bikers are allegedly doing wrong and then post it on a biking forum? WTF?
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-12-22, 08:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Not that I watch too many videos, but I figured I’d go to the spot and waste a minute or two.

The link took me to a GCN video on climbing. That video was interesting and it is what I have found over the years, if you want to climb better/faster you climb more and try to climb quicker each time.

John
Old 05-12-22, 08:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I guess I'll just have to see for myself. I rarely venture into sparse traffic roads in the mountains. The mountains I go to have enough traffic volume that nobody would dare ride the opposite lane.
Do you really want to take the chance? Look what happened to this guy. He starts making bad decisions. Gets the law on his tail and pays for it. Don't be that rider. You fight the law, and the law will win.

Last edited by seypat; 05-12-22 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-12-22, 09:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10249 Post(s)
Liked 11,607 Times in 5,950 Posts
All this because a rider in the background in a video on CLIMBING makes a questionable choice on the descent? Welcome to Bike Forums!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-12-22, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18327 Post(s)
Liked 15,307 Times in 7,234 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
IKR. As if a sock cannot change his style to avoid getting busted so quickly again.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-12-22, 09:56 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 7,183 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
So people actually watch videos so they can nit pick what bikers are allegedly doing wrong and then post it on a biking forum? WTF?
Originally Posted by genejockey
All this because a rider in the background in a video on CLIMBING makes a questionable choice on the descent? Welcome to Bike Forums!

Later in the video, you can see a rider in the background cross chaining.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-12-22, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. As if a sock cannot change his style to avoid getting busted so quickly again.

Style, substance, general lack of craziness. I'm absolutely certain this isn't the same guy.

And seriously, if he was going to go through all the trouble of changing his style (and the guy we're talking about couldn't manage that), why would he pick that screen name to cover the sock?
Old 05-12-22, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I really don't ride mountains ever, but I do have to pick a line often going downhill on winding country roads. I'm not suggesting that the guy in the video is using good technique, I haven't got a clue. I just don't think the video shows whether he's going around the corner blind in the way you're saying.

Something that happens on BF a lot is that people try to read too much into videos to judge other people's riding, forgetting that those videos don't really give you much information on the perspectives of people in those videos.
Old 05-12-22, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Later in the video, you can see a rider in the background cross chaining.

OK, that's funny!
Old 05-12-22, 10:58 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Do you really want to take the the chance? Look what happened to this guy. He starts making bad decisions. Gets the law on his tail and pays for it. Don't be that rider. You fight the law, and the law will win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNpJBzAyXk
When I'm going downhill, coming up to a right turn, blind corner. I move to the center of the lane, not the centerline and certainly not in the opposite lane because visibility is better than staying in the shoulder.

However, it doesn't offer me any means of "escape" or ample warning if a maniac coming from the opposite direction decides to take the opposite lane - my lane. If you're in a car, you'll probably survive the ensuing head-on collision. But on a bike, the chance of survival would be slim to none.

It would seem the only way to avoid such scenario is a way to see incoming traffic sooner. In some countries, they put large convex mirrors across blind corners. What if you don't have these mirrors? What alternatives are possible other than lucky bracelets.
Old 05-12-22, 11:03 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
... turn in a blind corner ... Looks dangerous.
Your perspective is from the camera that produced this video, not from the eyes of the rider in question.

​​​​​​I ride like that all the time.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-12-22, 11:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

When I'm going downhill, coming up to a right turn, blind corner. I move to the center of the lane, not the centerline and certainly not in the opposite lane because visibility is better than staying in the shoulder.

However, it doesn't offer me any means of "escape" or ample warning if a maniac coming from the opposite direction decides to take the opposite lane - my lane. If you're in a car, you'll probably survive the ensuing head-on collision. But on a bike, the chance of survival would be slim to none.

It would seem the only way to avoid such scenario is a way to see incoming traffic sooner. In some countries, they put large convex mirrors across blind corners. What if you don't have these mirrors? What alternatives are possible other than lucky bracelets.

What's the question here? Does anyone think it's a good idea to hop blindly into the opposite lane? Only a complete fool would recommend that because of the head-on issue. All I'm saying is I might drift over there after I have entered the curve, but only if I can see around it and no one's there. The guy in the video appears to me to be doing that, but the evidence is entirely too sketchy to merit further discussion.

Sorry, but I'd pull the plug on this thread. I don't see why we'd want to guess what this guy is actually doing.
Old 05-12-22, 11:14 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 7,183 Times in 2,906 Posts
Upon watching the video again, I recognized the guy that crossed the centerline -- Jax Teller.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-12-22, 12:00 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I can't believe that some of you actually take this OP seriously. That only encourages him.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-12-22, 12:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,319 Times in 2,704 Posts
... why would he pick that screen name to cover the sock?
I wouldn't rule it out just for that. Maybe a "catch me if you can" taunt? Think how long that other wheel rolled and how invested some of our masters were/are. Seems to be an accomplished pro.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.