Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Old 11-06-19, 08:03 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I've never had any trouble like this with CL people. You can pretty much always tell if someone is a nutbar or time waster in their emails--if so, just ignore them, problem solved. Also never put your phone number in the ad. I actually put a note in my ads, "Please don't email me asking me to call or text you." If someone does that, I ignore them. I only give my phone number once we have agreed on a time and place to meet. You can cut out 90% of the hassles if you just ignore people at the first red flag.
Old 11-06-19, 08:28 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I've had one bike listed for the last month or so. Not outrageously priced, but I'd say "slightly above normal with intent".

I never meet at my house, always at one of the nearby CL transaction spots local PD has setup. Had two different people ask to meet, one flaked on me the first day, setup for the second day, then went dead silent 15 minutes before meet time, stood me up. Two days later, someone completely different wants to meet, again stood me up. 10 days went by, another person interested, only kicking tires but via email.

Same happened recently with a vintage truck I was selling. Listed on eBay, made it through one full 30-day cycle, lowering the price $100 every 3-5 days, racking up watchers. Didn't sell. Relist at $400 over my end price on 1st cycle. Got 18 days in on that cycle, so I broke down, went to the local Ace Hardware, bought a FOR SALE sign, stuck it in the back window. 18 hours later I had two people fighting over it in front of my house, sold for $800 more than what I had it for on eBay.

Whole point being, people suck, and there's apparently a right time, place and method to selling everything at a price you can be happy with on a no-nonsense sale. Tough part is being able to measure when, and to know when the buyer is going to be a hassle.
Likes For francophile:
Old 11-06-19, 08:50 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Bike in question for those that are always curious .. it’s not all original and I had no intentions putting it back 100% original when I purchased the complete bike .. Suntour Cyclone drive trains are nice enough. Had this bike fit me it was going to get a different wheelset and a 9 speed cluster to go with the 9 speed shifters and 9 speed rear derailleur.
Everything on the bike is decent quality and makes it a nice riding bike with what I consider to be upgrades in a very practical sense .

The previously mentioned tire kicker questioned the use of the Campy seat post ..

Last edited by SamSpade1941; 11-06-19 at 09:06 PM.
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 11-06-19, 09:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18330 Post(s)
Liked 4,493 Times in 3,340 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
The previously mentioned tire kicker questioned the use of the Canpy seat post ..
Nice bike, and interesting build.

I'd certainly question using any "Canpy" parts.

You seem to like long stems, so the bigger question should be how you've dealt with the stem. Perhaps whether you're including the original stem.
Old 11-06-19, 09:09 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Couldn't help but read it as "canned pee" the first time. indeed.
Likes For francophile:
Old 11-06-19, 09:12 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Nice bike, and interesting build.

You seem to like long stems, so the bigger question should be how you've dealt with the stem. Perhaps whether you're including the original stem.
ROFL ... typos always happen to me when I try and post from my phone .. As for the stems I like longer stems indeed they are more comfy, but hey when I buy a used bike I know it's not going to have every part I want on it. The buyer is free to change to suit his / her tastes as they wish once they possession. As for the stem and PIVO bars I sold them to someone who was trying to restore their bike .

The bigger question is if you really want an all correct bike why waste my time looking at one the buyer clearly knows is not in such a state ?
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 11-06-19, 09:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 961 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
I don't ever sell bicycles or other related stuff. I just don't need the money and as mentioned it can be a hassle dealing with nutjobs.
I simply donate the bicycles to Salvation Army, or Goodwill. .
I'm getting more and more like that. Although I donate to the bike co op instead of Salvation Army or others.

The middle of the pack vintage bike value wise around here is only worth about what two or three parts will bring. I save my refurbishing efforts for the co op, or personal stuff anymore.
Old 11-06-19, 10:00 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Interesting I haven't had a tire kicker issue more of a problem with people reaching out acting interested and then ghosting me.
Old 11-06-19, 10:15 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by ryansu
Interesting I haven't had a tire kicker issue more of a problem with people reaching out acting interested and then ghosting me.

Yep been there as well..... Very recently... "hey do you still have the bike?" .... Yes I do...

Old 11-07-19, 12:26 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked 6,443 Times in 3,186 Posts
OP needs to figure out all this trolling, see, so he can get his hands on a Falcon.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-07-19, 12:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 1,798 Posts
Sweet bike. Good thing I'm not closer or I'd be over there kicking tires. I'm not a stickler for original condition but have a soft spot for Motobecanes -- a 1976 Mirage was my first serious bike. Wish I'd kept it, even tho' it was just an entry level hi-ten frame and decent Suntour group.

That Grand Jubilee looks like the sorta thing I'd put together from bits and pieces to suit my quirky preferences.

Bike in question for those that are always curious .. it’s not all original and I had no intentions putting it back 100% original when I purchased the complete bike .. Suntour Cyclone drive trains are nice enough. Had this bike fit me it was going to get a different wheelset and a 9 speed cluster to go with the 9 speed shifters and 9 speed rear derailleur.
Everything on the bike is decent quality and makes it a nice riding bike with what I consider to be upgrades in a very practical sense .

The previously mentioned tire kicker questioned the use of the Campy seat post ..

Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-07-19, 01:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 1,798 Posts
BTW, I tend to be a chatterbox when dickering over stuff I'm seriously interested in. So far nobody's complained since I usually buy if I bother to arrange to check out an item. But I'm the same way when I sell stuff. I enjoy the face to face part of selling, buying and trading one-off or unique used items, and used to rent booths and stalls at flea markets. It's also a good way to learn -- sometimes customers know more than sellers, so it was occasionally interesting to pick up a little info in the process.

In some cultures dickering and haggling are an integral part of the social scene and it's considered a bit rude to not want to chatter and haggle a bit. As far as I know none of my American mutt mixed ethnicity is from those cultures, but it seems to come naturally.

I've bought two of my bikes from a local flipper who's pretty laid back. Both times we visited for about an hour, just chattering while he worked on other bikes -- his garage is stacked with components, wheels, etc. Last time we talked so long it was getting dark and I'd intended to ride the bike home, but forgot lights or anything. I started to call Uber but he gave me a ride home with the bike in the van. He's actually very wary about his privacy but since I'd purchased from him a couple of times and paid what he asked, no dickering, we get along okay.

And I'm respectful of his preferences and time. He prefers texting over emails or phone calls. Some folks have other preferences. Partly due to his preference for texting, I actually switched from my old flip phone to a smartphone. I'd planned to anyway but texting was such a slow, miserable experience with a flip phone, buying bikes from that fellow finally motivated me to make the upgrade.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-07-19, 09:17 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house. For that matter don't put your home address into CL. Use the address of a shopping mall parking lot or your city police statio n.

AGAIN: Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Why?
Old 11-07-19, 09:46 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by sunnyone
Why?
More than one BF'er has had someone come back and steal one or more of their bikes.

In general, CL carries an inherent risk. You never know who is showing up at your door, and it's better to meet somewhere unknown to both parties, especially if it's a "safe space", which most local PDs offer up at one of their precincts or substations.

As sad as it is, you just never know these days who you're meeting with and what they're capable of. Some scammers can smell what you've got based on what you're posting. Just not worth the risk. And even if there's no malicious intent, you literally have no idea what someone may come back for after-the-fact.

tl;dr - "better safe than sorry"
Old 11-07-19, 10:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 986 Posts
As always, email is the only way to contact me through CL ads. That clears out a lot of the tire-kickers. I always list frame size, stand-over height, and an approximate "fits someone between x and y height" measurement. Essentially no one asks me about that any more and I get guys that are confident in the size of bike they want.

I can generally read a person, and have had many a long conversation about bikes with many buyers. It's fun. Some I can tell it's all about the transaction and I certainly don't want to talk any more to them than necessary, and the sale goes well. Definitely made a few friends via sales as well.

It's never fun when people yank us around, and I've had one guy just recently do that to me. Bought from me before, even. Doesn't want to make the two hour-ish drive like he did the first time. But he's getting a killer deal (way less than asking price). So I tell him he can drive to me like last time if he wants to. Any time. My car was in the shop and/or not long distance worthy, but after a while... If you want it, come and get it.
Old 11-07-19, 10:21 PM
yuoil 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice Motobecane!

I actually am very similiar to RiddleOfSteel where I list sizes, who it might fit and only give email. I don't typically respond to people who try to negotiate in email. I can't remember ever having a BUYER take up too much time though. Either they're trying not to just pay full price or they want it almost free and they're out. I think I've had more transactions that are less than 5 minutes than over 15. I can't imagine how it must have gone for two hours.

I can be talkative, but I have had a few situations were I've bought something and it's an event with the seller to actually leave after the purchase is confirmed. Too polite, I suppose.

You could have spun it on him and started talking about random things which were unrelated but interest you. Do you have any long, pointless stories that trail off to no-where...?
Old 11-08-19, 05:43 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,360 Times in 886 Posts
Here's a 100% real reply to an ad for a Rhodes electric piano I was selling on CL to settle my dad's estate.

I lost count of the red flags somewhere in the third sentence..

"Still have the MK80??? I'm waiting on my tax returns currently. They will be here this week or next week. Is there some way to reach you in case the ad is down but it didnt sell. I will probably take it. Any chance you could take $275??? I am in the midst of rebuilding my life after losing everything to opiates and have a lot of gear to buy. I'm just tryi g to save wherever i can. And this wasnt part of it. But i'd definitely take it at that price. Idk what they are worth. I just youtubed it and it sounds pretty cool. And ive been dying for an electric piano. I'm a guitar player but i use synths and love keys. If you need any work done around your house, or on your car, or with your sewer/septic, id be happy to trade work for it!!! I may even be able to send you a few bucks tomorrow, or Tuesday, to hold onto it. I get paid on Tuesdays but lately we've been getting our checks on Monday's. I can probably only do about $50 this week. Maybe more. I'll have to see. But then i can pay it off by next Tuesday for sure. Please lmk. I hope we can work something out. Sorry for the long message. Thank you."
Old 11-08-19, 06:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Here's a 100% real reply to an ad for a Rhodes electric piano I was selling on CL to settle my dad's estate.

"Still have the MK80??? I'm waiting on my tax returns currently. They will be here this week or next week. Is there some way to reach you in case the ad is down but it didnt sell. I will probably take it. Any chance you could take $275??? I am in the midst of rebuilding my life after losing everything to opiates and have a lot of gear to buy. I'm just tryi g to save wherever i can. And this wasnt part of it. But i'd definitely take it at that price. Idk what they are worth. I just youtubed it and it sounds pretty cool. And ive been dying for an electric piano. I'm a guitar player but i use synths and love keys. If you need any work done around your house, or on your car, or with your sewer/septic, id be happy to trade work for it!!! I may even be able to send you a few bucks tomorrow, or Tuesday, to hold onto it. I get paid on Tuesdays but lately we've been getting our checks on Monday's. I can probably only do about $50 this week. Maybe more. I'll have to see. But then i can pay it off by next Tuesday for sure. Please lmk. I hope we can work something out. Sorry for the long message. Thank you."
Oh, man - that one would go right into the virtual trashcan the second I read the "opiates" sentence, unless this was a recent reply to your ad. Then I'd have questioned the "waiting on tax returns"; it is, after all, November

I so rarely list on CL that I don't have any real horror stories to pass along, but I agree about not meeting at one's abode. Meeting a stranger in a public place in 2019 is just common sense. There are waaaaaaaaay too many people out there today who don't GAF about anyone but themselves and seem like they'll do anything to get what they want without paying for/earning it.

DD
Old 11-08-19, 07:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I don't do a lot of CL business either, but I'm a big fan of "first person to show up with $XXX and a way to haul it off gets it" kind of listings.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-08-19, 07:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked 6,443 Times in 3,186 Posts
The stuff I sell attracts some very nice people I'm glad to have met, made friends/acquaintances, or continued to lean on. Goes with the territory.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-08-19, 07:53 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked 2,544 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I don't do a lot of CL business either, but I'm a big fan of "first person to show up with $XXX and a way to haul it off gets it" kind of listings.
I hear you, I pick up bike racks when they are cheap/free and its helped make a few sales a one stop deal.
Old 11-08-19, 07:57 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 1,097 Posts
I've met some BFers selling and buying on CL. And I like talking about bikes. One dude has come by twice for two different bikes and didn't buy. Later, I bought a cool wheel from him. But there have been times that my wife saves me with the call into the garage, "Dinnnnerrrrr!". The only negative experience I can remember was selling a modern Schwinn cruiser from under my daughter when she started preferring The 3 Spires 3 speed. The buyer paid the 60 bucks with some bills and some change. The chatter consisted of job market yada yada. 15 minutes after he drives off I get a text from him about how much of a selfish prick I am for making him pay the asking price since obviously he was hurting financially. $#,? . I have paid with quarters to make the difference when my bike money baggie is light. He wasn't a bike guy.
Old 11-08-19, 10:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes

While I think we can all appreciate the guy working to consciously rebuild his life and learn from his past, trying to make purchases with barely any available cash (let alone to live/eat) is a financial move that can wait just a little bit longer. He's hungry, in the good way, but a bit frantic and impatient. All in good time. Start small, establish a base, move up. I'd wish him well if he were talking to me, but still, I'm not giving things away, especially if the payment method is not solid. At least he didn't ask if you'd take a personal check!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 11-11-19, 12:25 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
I put details and photos in my ads , you still end up getting people who will ask ... will a 56cm frame fit me ?

I’m to the point of someone messages me asking if a frame fits them or not .. I delete the message and go on ..

As for your darkroom equipment god speed on that . I actually gave mine away and still had people ask questions .
Yeah. I get the fit question most of all and yes the questions can be lessened by good pictures and a complete description but people that really love bikes love to talk bikes. Just cut to the chase when you're ready and close the deal or thank them for coming (hint, hint). That'll usually close the discussion. For the record I haven't had your issues. Folks usually pedal up and down the block, lay the money on me and beat it. Often without offering me less than advertised! Lucky I guess.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 11-11-19, 12:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7319 Post(s)
Liked 2,398 Times in 1,404 Posts
My wife is the general contractor of our home renovations. She is a gigantic craigslister. Half of the building materials and furniture are from craigslist. We are not SUV type people, but she broke down and bought an SUV so she could haul stuff for renovation. She drives around the greater metropolitan area to pick stuff up. A couple of deals have gone bad, but she is a fighter, and she got justice in both cases. We bought a range that didn't work properly, and she got her money back. And there was a deadbeat who sold floorboards, and he took months to deliver, but legal action and appearing in a surprise attack on his property got him to deliver. Overall, dealing on craigslist has paid off. It's not for everyone, but it can be great.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.