Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 130 vs 830/1030

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin 130 vs 830/1030

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 11:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
How so ?, all he’s got is a Fenix that isn’t doing what he wants. Matters not if he gets a Garmin or Wahoo.
He's got all his history in Connect, so the reports all work and show complete info. Here's an example, I don't know if Wahoo has anything like this or not but it's very useful and goes back years across all the data you have.
​​​​​​https://connect.garmin.com/modern/re...ast_four_weeks

He's keeping the watch, so he'll be using Connect regardless for things like sleep quality, activity level off the bike, resting and 24 hour heart rate, etc. It's better to check one place than two, and some of that data can help put your performance on the bike into context, which again is easier when you don't have to cross reference two sources that do things differently.

I use a touch screen every ride on a 1030, so this is just nonsense. Have you ever tried zooming or panning a map with buttons ?, you can't.
​​​​​​I do this regularly (in my Fenix watch), did it earlier today on a hike to see where a side trail goes. Garmin makes a lot of hiking GPS units, including popular ones with buttons and no touch screen. Of course you can do it. I prefer a touch screen for maps too, but it's not the only possible way.
Old 05-25-20, 06:25 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You each sync your data through your phones, right? It's looking at the data on the PC that's a problem? If I'm understanding that right, try using a different browser than your wife to look at your ride etc data. You don't have to switch for everything, but if you use Firefox and she uses Chrome, it'll keep you both logged in.

No, that is our huge issue. My wife will NOT get a smart phone. Mind boggeling! My wife, CFO of a medical company, well educated refuses to get a smart phone so I use my phone for all our Garmin Connect. I have to log in and out. I only do hers once a day or two so its not so bad but yeah, there are ways around this. She still needs a sperate Connect account, that is the fix I wish they would get worked out. Our son uses Garmin Jr. so that is a complete different system so for now that is a non issue until he graduates to an adult system.
Old 05-25-20, 07:12 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
He's got all his history in Connect, so the reports all work and show complete info. .
I've used Connect for years, as a portal to pass data to RideWithGPS. I finally figured out that the data (I care about) was easier to view and edit on RWGPS so stopped bothering with Connect. It's especially easier to plot a route in RWGPS as it's just simpler not having to go thru the steps of going to Training, Create Course, choosing Road Ride, etc... that Connect makes you do, RWGPS is much easier. Should the OP desire, he links Connect to RWGPS once and ALL his history moves over. And at that point connecting to a Wahooo is seamless.

I've no idea if he can do multiple accounts in RWGPS and as he stated he doesn't need mapping, my thought was the Wahoo has the easiest method to zoom the screen text to make it readable. It's also cheaper than the 830 and maybe a 530 would work, but that's and additional $90

And note I'm generally in the Garmin camp, having owned an 810, 1000 and now 1030 I had a Bolt for a few months, it was a very good unit. I returned it to REI as I had issues reading TBT text while wearing sunglasses, as they reverse to white text on black background. I also realized I wanted maps that I could load to the device as well as be able to see them on a decent sized screen, Wahoo can't do that well, though the Roam has gotten better at dealing with maps. If OSM is all you need. I personally think once the OP starts using a device that has decent mapping on a decent sized screen he'd never pull out his smartphone again.
Old 05-25-20, 09:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

How does RWGPS show you your sleep data or how an activity fits into your all day heart and stress rates?
Old 05-25-20, 10:18 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

How does RWGPS show you your sleep data or how an activity fits into your all day heart and stress rates?
I finally figured out that the data (I care about) was easier to view and edit on RWGPS so stopped bothering with Connect.”
Old 05-25-20, 05:14 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
It sounds like @sean.hwy is probably invested enough in the Garmin ecosystem and feature set that changing to Wahoo could be painful.

How so ?, all he’s got is a Fenix that isn’t doing what he wants. Matters not if he gets a Garmin or Wahoo.

Seattle Forrest guessed correct. I am guessing he assumed I did not buy the watch for riding bike and is something I had for a while. This is my 2nd garmen watch. My data goes back to 2016 from hiking and attempting to trail run.

If the xyz was WAY better than a garmin device I would switch.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 05-25-20, 05:18 PM
sean.hwy

I must admit though it's PITA to see you data that older that 12 months old. You have to keep scrolling back like your cell phone if you want to see what you kid text you in 2016. You just keep having to scroll back in your text and hope someone does not call you.

So I almost never look my data from 2016/2017 it's too much work to view it.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 05-25-20, 08:00 PM
Steve B.

I was off the Connect system almost right away, finding any kind of data digging to be painful. An example is looking at my cycling data on the iPad version (Mobile) it gives me last 7 days, not this week with an option to have the week start on Monday. Last week is not what I want. Likewise last 4 weeks, I’d rather have this month. Ditto 1 Year. I don’t really care about anything before January. It’s just klunky. About the only use I have for Connect is it understands that swimmers using pools think in either yards or meters. Not 1/10th of a mile. Connect is the only activity tracker that gets this and it’s a painless sync to my Garmin swim watch.

Once I migrated to RWGPS I paid for the premium as it was worth it. I do all my route creation on it and it’s very good.
Old 05-26-20, 12:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

I finally figured out that the data (I care about) was easier to view and edit on RWGPS so stopped bothering with Connect.”
You asked why I said it would be painful to switch, and I explained why. Routes sound like the utmost importance to you, but a lot of people use data that doesn't have a place in synced to platforms like RWGPS or Strava, so they're only partial replacements. It's great that you have a second copy of the data you care about (not being sarcastic here) but the answer to the question you asked is that other people care about different data. (I assume somebody who bought a watch instead of an Edge did so because they care about data beyond cycling.)
Old 05-26-20, 12:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I must admit though it's PITA to see you data that older that 12 months old. You have to keep scrolling back like your cell phone if you want to see what you kid text you in 2016. You just keep having to scroll back in your text and hope someone does not call you.

So I almost never look my data from 2016/2017 it's too much work to view it.
Curious what you're looking at specifically.

Usually if I'm looking at more than a year ago I'm interested in an overall trend, so I use the 12 month view, and then it's easier to jump around. In reports I mean, the calendar is easy to get use, and for the power curve and peaks over different times, I either want recently or everything.

Some of this stuff is easier to use on the PC than in the app. You can empty your dashboard and put whatever you want on it. I have my last week of IF and TSS on mine, and the training load the watch measures. Have the site bookmarked in my phone browser for quick access to stuff that's cumbersome in the app, or not there like the progress summary.
Old 05-26-20, 08:41 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I was off the Connect system almost right away, finding any kind of data digging to be painful.
As much as I like GC, I do agree that data digging is painful. I have history in GC going back years. There are many times I've wanted dump my entire workout history/catalog and there is no way to do it. As far as I know, when I select 'export to csv', the only data that gets exports is what I'm seeing on screen. There is no way to export my entire workout database. Or at least no way that I've been able to find.
Old 05-26-20, 09:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
There is no way to export my entire workout database. Or at least no way that I've been able to find.
https://github.com/moderation/garmin-connect-export
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-26-20, 09:39 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
You can export ALL of you data directly from Garmin.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/account...nt/exportdata/
Old 05-26-20, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
That's why it's nice to have all the ride data files stored on your home computer. I've got all the rides from day one of getting my edge 500 stored on the HD that gets backed up with other stuff that's important to me. If I ever decide to change the site I use, I don't have to fret about getting data from them to the other. Nor do I have to wonder if it is original data I sent them or the massaged data that might have been stripped of things that particular site doesn't use to generate it's numbers.

I use a batch file that I run from my desktop with just a double click to copy new rides from my edge 500 to storage. It's been useful having it in the past as I have switched from one site to another several times in the past.
Old 05-26-20, 10:48 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thank you August West and njkayaker
Old 07-22-20, 11:13 AM
sean.hwy

I waited the 4th of july sale at REI. Turns out I waited for nothing it was not on sale.

I signed up for the REI credit card and got a $100 gift card. I thought that was good enough discount. I went with the 1030 plus.
With my eyes I need to take my glasses off to see my Fenix 5 watch. With the 1030 plus I do not have too. For hat reason alone it was worth
the price for me. I am using the mapping feature a lot now to explore. For people that don't have a bike computer using the gps for bike riding is not
as good as the turn by turn you have your car. Just an FYI.

It's been warm and sunny here so I have not tried the touch screen in the rain or with gloves on. It works great in the nice weather. On my watch when ever I looked down at my power it was over 200. With the 1030 plus bar graph I can clearly most of the time I am riding with much less power. Can't cheat with a power graph.

When I am going up a very steep hill at walking pace I like using the screen that shows you how steep. lol
Likes For sean.hwy: