Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

56cm Behringer Frame Appraisal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 10:17 PM
Mattdiano

Bikes: '83 Pinarello Super Record,'83 De Rosa Professional, '84 Guerciotti GLX7600, '91 Merckx Corsa Extra, 2004 Pinarello Dogma AK61 Magnesium, '13 Colnago World Cup, '14 Cinelli Experience, '16 DeRosa Planet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
56cm Behringer Frame Appraisal

Hi all, I bought a group of bikes and this gem was hidden in, under numerous coats of paint. I had to, sadly, get her soda blasted, to find out what I had. This is a Behringer frame, made by Cecil Behringer. Campy drop-outs, Cinelli bottom bracket. 56cm. I would love an appraisal on what I should ask for her. Will it be a better offering if I have her powder coated first? Unfortunately I cannot find Behringer decals. Thanks much for all your help,

everyone!
Old 11-19-20, 03:30 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Very nice looking frame. I don't know about the value, so I will let others respond. Regarding paint / powdercoat, from my perspective it would be better to leave it as is and leave that up to the buyer. I can't imagine it would significantly increase the value, and might even decrease it.
Old 11-19-20, 03:48 PM
Mattdiano

Bikes: '83 Pinarello Super Record,'83 De Rosa Professional, '84 Guerciotti GLX7600, '91 Merckx Corsa Extra, 2004 Pinarello Dogma AK61 Magnesium, '13 Colnago World Cup, '14 Cinelli Experience, '16 DeRosa Planet

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Very nice looking frame. I don't know about the value, so I will let others respond. Regarding paint / powdercoat, from my perspective it would be better to leave it as is and leave that up to the buyer. I can't imagine it would significantly increase the value, and might even decrease it.
I appreciate that feedback, and great point, it will be a blank canvas for her new home! I am good with getting values now, you guys have all helped a lot. Now to go list her in the for sale section!

Last edited by Mattdiano; 11-20-20 at 10:19 AM. Reason: I'm GOOD, not god.
Old 11-20-20, 09:08 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Behringer Color

...out of curiosity, what color was it originally and what color were the decals?
Old 11-20-20, 09:09 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

...local rider has one in red with gold lettering—classic Behringer look
Old 11-20-20, 10:18 AM
Mattdiano

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
...out of curiosity, what color was it originally and what color were the decals?
It was black when I bought it, but that was spray paint. And so thick I could not read the BB or anything, so no idea on the orig color or decals. I could not figure out what the frame was, that's the only reason I had it stripped.
Old 11-20-20, 11:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
When you do the post in the for sale forum, you will want to specify whether you measure the bike 56 center to center or center to top and the spacing of the rear triangle (likely 126 OLD and not a big deal but good to point out).
Old 11-20-20, 04:52 PM
Mattdiano

Originally Posted by bikemig
When you do the post in the for sale forum, you will want to specify whether you measure the bike 56 center to center or center to top and the spacing of the rear triangle (likely 126 OLD and not a big deal but good to point out).
Great points! I would have remembered to specify where I took the 56cm from, but never would have thought of the spread, thanks much for that!!
Old 11-21-20, 10:13 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

If you do end up keeping/painting it, SSSink (.com) lists graphics for Behringer and there are a couple of decal sellers on eBay who will do a custom job for you if you can send a pic. But I agree w. others...better off selling it unpainted. I’ve only ever seen monochrome paint jobs on the Behringers so wouldn’t be difficult to restore.
Old 11-21-20, 01:36 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Nice looking frame, I am surprised that "soda" was so abrasive, I have used in the past to restore cars but it always returned much smoother.
I would let the new buyer do the paint as others have already suggested.
Best, Ben
Old 11-21-20, 03:04 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
whew. i am glad i am not the only one who noticed this. it's been bugging me, especially the pitted brass surfaces (and the "blasted to brass" dropout adjusting screw cap). i have never had items that looked so rough after soda blasting, even "soft" metal parts like aluminum, magnesium, cast pot metal, etc. and i've soda blasted a lot of stuff myself, and it does not dimple the surface like that.
the destroyed duct tape also bothers me. that's indicative of rather high pressure blasting. i blast cast iron parts with pretty aggressive glass media, and i mask off areas with duct tape because it "deflects" the media, and it doesn't come back all obliterated like that.

i would ask the blaster what media they used to blast that frame (and maybe the air pressure if they have that kind of info). i'd also be cautious about using that blaster in the future.

example: this is a cast pot metal carburettor i soda blasted at about 70 psi (was disassembled for blasting):
Yes, soda is my go-to specifically for the reason that your photo shows...almost no abrasion, When I use walnut shells all parts must be degreased after blasting. I would bet if they used soda, it might have been contaminated with sand or GB.
Best, Ben
Old 11-21-20, 03:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Why is the brake bridge threaded? Does a stud of some sort go in there to build the brake on or is it simply an illusion?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-22-20, 08:32 AM
Mattdiano

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Why is the brake bridge threaded? Does a stud of some sort go in there to build the brake on or is it simply an illusion?
I have no idea! Maybe someone with some Behringer knowledge can tell us? This frame is brand new to me, but it was built up with Dura Ace when I bought it, and the brakes came off fine. You are correct though, the brake bridge is threaded on half of it. Weird.
Old 11-22-20, 08:34 AM
Mattdiano

Originally Posted by hazetguy
whew. i am glad i am not the only one who noticed this. it's been bugging me, especially the pitted brass surfaces (and the "blasted to brass" dropout adjusting screw cap). i have never had items that looked so rough after soda blasting, even "soft" metal parts like aluminum, magnesium, cast pot metal, etc. and i've soda blasted a lot of stuff myself, and it does not dimple the surface like that.
the destroyed duct tape also bothers me. that's indicative of rather high pressure blasting. i blast cast iron parts with pretty aggressive glass media, and i mask off areas with duct tape because it "deflects" the media, and it doesn't come back all obliterated like that.

i would ask the blaster what media they used to blast that frame (and maybe the air pressure if they have that kind of info). i'd also be cautious about using that blaster in the future.

example: this is a cast pot metal carburettor i soda blasted at about 70 psi (was disassembled for blasting):
I have never soda blasted anything before, so I had no idea what it was supposed to look like. There is a good possibility that they sand blasted it, or did some of the things you mentioned: too much pressure, contaminated medium...if it looks rough, I would guess the shop that blasted it did something I will never know about. I could go back and ask them about pressure and medium, but to what avail? I wouldn't have any recourse, so that will just be a lesson learned for me, and if I need to do it again, I will look elsewhere!
Old 11-24-20, 03:31 PM
Mattdiano

She is on her way to her new home in, suitably, MN! She should be at her new home Saturday and it is my understanding that there will be a build log. Looking forward to it!
Old 11-24-20, 06:03 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

...already sourcing the Behringer red
Old 11-24-20, 09:18 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
From the photo perspective, it is possible that the recessed brake nut was left in the brake bridge.
Old 11-30-20, 07:37 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

UPDATE on the Behringer (will keep it short as this is a values forum vs build forum)...
Mattdiano graciously sold and sent me the frame and I immediately torched off the cable stops on the downtube (following a tutorial on Bikeforums on how its done) and used the torch to soften the residual bronze which then wire brushed off. Nice way to do it. Pics show heat discoloration on frame but it actually never got very hot...so no haters or couch mechanic comments, please, thank you . Took them off so i can run the frame clean as a fixie and use clamp on cable stops if i revert to gears. Did not change anything i couldn’t easily revert (cable guides, rear spacing and derailleur hanger). Sanded and degreased frame, thin coat of white base and then “Lumo Red” to seal the frame from rust while I waif for Behringer decals to arrive. I’m in debt to Mattdiano for what will be an enviable, classic ride.

Wet rags were a suggested heat sink...surperfluous in my opinion as I used a small tip kept the flame cool

Gently heated till you could see the remaining bronze soften, then brushed with soft stainless steel brush.

Bronze came off completely with Emery cloth but soda-blasted texture around it was hard to blend with so will “load” paint up a bit in those spots to cover.

White undercoat and red top coat—-can cure for a week waiting for decals to arrive and will then clear coat. Turned out to be a very, very bright red...old Cecil Behringer might not have approved
Old 11-30-20, 07:39 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

UPDATE on the Behringer (will keep it short as this is a values forum vs build forum)...
Mattdiano graciously sold and sent me the frame and I immediately torched off the cable stops on the downtube (following a tutorial on Bikeforums on how its done) and used the torch to soften the residual bronze which then wire brushed off. Nice way to do it. Pics show heat discoloration on frame but it actually never got very hot...so no haters or couch mechanic comments, please, thank you . Took them off so i can run the frame clean as a fixie and use clamp on cable stops if i revert to gears. Did not change anything i couldn’t easily revert (cable guides, rear spacing and derailleur hanger). Sanded and degreased frame, thin coat of white base and then “Lumo Red” to seal the frame from rust while I waif for Behringer decals to arrive. I’m in debt to Mattdiano for what will be an enviable, classic ride.

Wet rags were a suggested heat sink...surperfluous in my opinion as I used a small tip kept the flame cool

Gently heated till you could see the remaining bronze soften, then brushed with soft stainless steel brush.

Bronze came off completely with Emery cloth but soda-blasted texture around it was hard to blend with so will “load” paint up a bit in those spots to cover.

White undercoat and red top coat—-can cure for a week waiting for decals to arrive and will then clear coat. Turned out to be a very, very bright red...old Cecil Behringer might not have approved
Old 11-30-20, 07:43 PM
Mattdiano

It is looking AWESOME!!
Old 12-01-20, 02:38 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Waiting for decals. Will give it another “red” coat in some spots (too thin) and then clear coat. Thanks to the forum for all the input, and thanks again to Mattdiano.

(Not the final wheelset—will build it up with Dura Ace track group.)
Old 12-01-20, 03:46 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
To each their own, I guess.
Old 12-01-20, 04:03 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Absolutely...who would want it to be any other way? “Conformity” is certainly never a word that springs to mind when reviewing the Bikeforum group.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 12-02-20, 10:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
But did you reference the bottom bracket drop first?
Old 12-02-20, 04:16 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Originally Posted by repechage
But did you reference the bottom bracket drop first?
you mean using 770c instead (what did they call them again...27s) or the flat tires?
it was a 700c built frame...it looks old but Behringer built this in the 90s. And, to reiterate a point made earlier, these were just propping up the frame...final build after decals and clear coat will be a sturdy DA pista set up....it will look good...I’m almost sure of it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.