Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Bob Jackson Brand Will Likely Continue At Woodrup Cycles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-20-21, 04:31 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 286 Posts

Seems like Jacksons is living a soap opera life these days. But the news today is Bob Jackson is back, or at least the name isn't dead.

Woodrup Cycles and another party successfully purchased the Bob Jackson name/rights, and most of Jacksons production machinery and remaining materials (tubing, lugs, etc).

So the Bob Jackson name will likely continue, with frames built at Woodrup.

Kevin Sayles posted the news at Classic Rendezvous a few hours ago. Sayles built at Jacksons in the '70s, and has been at Woodrup since. He's currently the Master Builder at Woodrup. He mentioned in the post that he spent a few hours checking over the framebuilding stuff that came from Jacksons, including the belt sander he used back in '71. So unless another bizarre thing happens, it's a done deal.

That is all the news Kevin related. No timelines, no info regarding whether any former Jackson staff will come on board, no info re: website, continuing models, pricing, etc, etc. All we know is the name and machinery live on.

So what this isn't is Bob Jackson frames continuing production in the original location. What this also isn't is the Bob Jackson name/rights being sold to a company that will be putting the name on cheaply built imported frames.

It'll be interesting to see where this all goes.
Old 01-20-21, 05:07 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 760 Posts
Saw this development via the CR list, too, thanks for sharing it. Would be even better if Kevin Sayles/Woodrup can also pick up the custom (bespoke) orders for "Bob Jacksons" and fulfill some dreams, keep the flame alive. With Kevin building the quality would be every bit up to "BJ" level.
Old 01-20-21, 05:14 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 322 Posts
Great to hear. I do hope they can also save some (or all) the jobs from BJ given that both are located in Leeds.
Old 01-21-21, 09:48 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I find this merging of Jackson and Woodrup interesting. The original owners of each brand Bob Jackson and Maurice Woodrup were at one time partners after WWII but something happened and their was a nasty divorce (in the 50's?). Ellis Briggs in Shipley where I learned to build bicycle frames was in the same metropolitan area as Leeds where Jackson and Woodrup are located. I heard about the break up of their partnership from Jack Briggs (the guy I learned from). One time when I wanted to learn how to do inverted seat stay attachments like on my Italian Masi, Jack sent me over to Woodrups were Maurice's son Stephen showed me how it was done. Jack said they wouldn't mind because Ellis Briggs had offered Maurice help get started again when he left Jackson's. Also E-B painted Woodrup's frames. The impression I had 45 years ago was there was some hard feeling about the separation.

While the Bob Jackson name can continue on new frames, I suspect they will reflect how Woodrup builds and prices frames. Their philosophies were not the same. What Jackson excelled at was adequately built frames at very attractive pricing. They were perfect for someone who put a greater value on cost over attention to refined details. Woodrup's were/are better and I suspect you will pay more for that increase in quality. Of course Woodrup's might think this is a great opportunity to be able to market a faster and cheaper made frame without spoiling the reputation of the Woodrup brand.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-25-21, 01:40 AM
kenhawkeye

Bikes: 1976, Alan Super Record, 1977 Bob Jackson, 1978 Viner Special Professional, 1978 Bianchi Super Corsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A year ago, I had a 1977 Bob Jackson frame repainted by BJ. Overall, they did a very good job, the cost was relatively inexpensive and they used original decals. They are also owners of the Hetchins brand, so hopefully, the high standards of Woodrup will ensure the survival of that brand too and the high-quality restoration.
Old 01-25-21, 02:31 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Last year I had a 1984 Woodrup refurbished by the grandson of the person who sold it to the original/sole owner. The stuck BB, seat post and stem all had to be burned out and the frame repainted and new decals affixed. That cost around USD $300 which I thought very reasonable. The original campag hubs were put back into a new wheel-set - that was expensive - but good hand-built wheels always are. The moral of the tale - get Woodrup to paint it (they refurb any marque - not just Woodrups) and rebuild your own wheels.
Old 01-26-21, 12:57 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 258 Posts
Article confirming. Looks like production will resume mid-year. Be sure to keep reading past the ads mid-page, some good stuff in there.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...n-leeds-488920

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 01-26-21 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 02:33 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Article confirming. Looks like production will resume mid-year. Be sure to keep reading past the ads mid-page, some good stuff in there.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...n-leeds-488920
Ooh, it says that folks might be able to observe the building process, like a zoo or a Krispy Kreme. I'm being glib, but I'd honestly make a point of dropping by if I were passing through Leeds for some reason. Kudos to Woodrup for keeping it steel and in Leeds, as the article says this was threatened. These apparently could have ended up on BikesDirect.
Likes For noobinsf: