Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 04-11-21, 09:41 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 940 Posts
A Sekai 2700 limped in the back yard last week, equipped with Superbe Pro RD and shifters, original Suntour Vx front derailleur, Diacomp G, Sugino cranks and bb, Tange Levin hs, with junk Normandy hubs on 27" Wolber Super Champion rims.

The brakes will be replaced with Royal Gran Comp aero levers and calipers, the derailleurs are now Cyclone, the wheels will be chunked and 700 wheels will replace the current offerings, the bars I haven't decided yet to replace but probably will. The hs and bb cleaned up and roll smoothly. I will replace the 42 tooth chain ring and a freewheel for some hill friendly gearing.

The Sekai 2700

The RGC calipers will work with the new wheels, but I will do a slight mod on the pads to increase my reach.
Old 04-11-21, 09:41 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 180 Posts
Scored these at the local co-op yesterday, the whole lot for $15. I'm hoping to find the matching rear hub next week.
Old 04-16-21, 06:38 PM
mgermca

Bikes: LeCroco, Harry Quinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, some great finds posted here! Subscribed!
Old 04-17-21, 02:27 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 258 Posts

Didn't need it but $50 seemed fair, and I have the parts on hand to build it up.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 04-17-21 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 04-28-21, 06:32 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 258 Posts
Another $50 find - a 1976 model I think. Love these old roadsters. This one is too small for me but it'll be fun to tinker with.

Old 04-28-21, 07:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 567 Posts
Picked up yesterday after work for $20, I spotted it on FB Marketplace and saw the barcons. It was only about a mile from work so I sent them a message I'd take it. I couldn't tell much on my phone but figured it was some old bike boom Japanese house brand. When they rolled it out I was pretty certain it wasn't Japanese and from the lugs and how light it felt I suspected I may have stumbled on a goodie. As soon as I got it home I posted it on here asking for help ID'ing it. Thanks to member @Pcampeau it has been identified as almost certainly a rattle canned mid-60's Raleigh Carlton, well "most" of one anyway. The parts I wanted will go on the other project as planned since they aren't period correct for this and this one will get a repaint, reproduction decals and period correct components. Here's the thread........ https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...29237-wth.html

Here's the pics from the ad but I was looking at them on my phone, I almost passed it up but I figured it was close and $20, what did I have to lose?

Old 04-28-21, 09:23 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 225 Posts
About to be scrapped in an estate cleanup, a good friend spotted these two Raleighs and saved them for me. Both were sold new locally here in Ontario. The black Bighorn (Tange 5 Tubing) is complete and repairable, the red Matterhorn is a mess of replacement parts. I like these old bikes and they offer lots of different styles of build options. Both have bullhorn bars.

Old 05-03-21, 03:52 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 592 Posts
In a way bike related. Someone in our city was giving this away. Thought it would make good wall art in my garage. I might attempt a cosmetic refurbish. Made by Monroe (as in the suspension company). No idea if it works. Valve is missing. I think it's from the 20's. I'll have to look at it closer when I have the time.
IMG_6053 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-04-21, 04:04 PM
ScottJ175

Bikes: 2013 Diamondback Response XE

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Newbie to the forum. Subscribing to this thread. Can't link my intro yet but short version is back around late March my 15 year old mentions an interest in mountain biking in front of a friend of mine. Friend says he can have his old Mongoose full suspension since he has health issues preventing riding any more. Since this is the first non-video game interest my son has had I went all in and went on a bit of a buying binge. Got myself a 2013 Diamondback, an early 2000s Specialized Vita for the wife (and shortly thereafter a new-ish Schwinn GTX3 hybrid because she liked the color). I then appropriated my brother's old Kulana single speed cruiser because it's been gathering dust since 2017.

My taste in cars trends to pre-owned "hoopties" so makes sense my taste in bikes would too. Have my eye on a vintage Trek Antelope for $100 negotiable on my local Facebook marketplace with the thought of throwing touring tires on it as a multi-speed paths bike. Only things slowing my roll there are thinking about all the money I've already dumped into this new hobby recently and also starting to run out of space.

But.....I just can't help it. So if you all will forgive me asking without reading all 570 posts in the thread other than Marketplace and Craigslist what other sources are you using to find good deals in this crazy post-Covid market? What I'm seeing is that values are few and far between. Most asking prices are rather inflated.
Old 05-04-21, 05:16 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottJ175
Newbie to the forum. Subscribing to this thread. Can't link my intro yet but short version is back around late March my 15 year old mentions an interest in mountain biking in front of a friend of mine. Friend says he can have his old Mongoose full suspension since he has health issues preventing riding any more. Since this is the first non-video game interest my son has had I went all in and went on a bit of a buying binge. Got myself a 2013 Diamondback, an early 2000s Specialized Vita for the wife (and shortly thereafter a new-ish Schwinn GTX3 hybrid because she liked the color). I then appropriated my brother's old Kulana single speed cruiser because it's been gathering dust since 2017.

My taste in cars trends to pre-owned "hoopties" so makes sense my taste in bikes would too. Have my eye on a vintage Trek Antelope for $100 negotiable on my local Facebook marketplace with the thought of throwing touring tires on it as a multi-speed paths bike. Only things slowing my roll there are thinking about all the money I've already dumped into this new hobby recently and also starting to run out of space.

But.....I just can't help it. So if you all will forgive me asking without reading all 570 posts in the thread other than Marketplace and Craigslist what other sources are you using to find good deals in this crazy post-Covid market? What I'm seeing is that values are few and far between. Most asking prices are rather inflated.
Please tell us what Hooptie you have, I'm fascinated knowing, I use to have a small collection of classic cars but I sold them all a couple of years ago, mine weren't worn out or Caddies either, but of course I'm interested in this sort of stuff. I almost bought a rat rod that was very nice for not a whole lot of money, but I have no place to keep it anymore and I got tired of dinkin with cars after 50 years of doing that.
Old 05-04-21, 05:35 PM
ScottJ175

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Please tell us what Hooptie you have, I'm fascinated knowing, I use to have a small collection of classic cars but I sold them all a couple of years ago, mine weren't worn out or Caddies either, but of course I'm interested in this sort of stuff. I almost bought a rat rod that was very nice for not a whole lot of money, but I have no place to keep it anymore and I got tired of dinkin with cars after 50 years of doing that.
I've been a car nut since I was 14 (now 52). They sort of bumped bikes from my life for most of that time. I've had lots over the years and around 2015 I basically backed off that hobby too and just had my 2003 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab and a 2005 Matrix as a commuter. Early last year I finally got back into that hobby and did what I wish I'd done years ago. I found the right Miata to by. A white over tan 1996. Rescued it from sitting 5+ years in a driveway. Then late last year much to my amazement an opportunity arose to help a friend out by selling them the Matrix below market which allowed me to do some financial shuffling to finally pull the trigger on a 2009 RX-8 a different friend had owned since new but rarely drove. It only had 7,103 miles on it when I got it. I like to tinker (built an engine for the Dodge in 2018 to replace the leaky head gasket one in it). My wife drives the first new car we've had since 1996. A 2018 Mazda 6.
Old 05-04-21, 06:21 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottJ175
I've been a car nut since I was 14 (now 52). They sort of bumped bikes from my life for most of that time. I've had lots over the years and around 2015 I basically backed off that hobby too and just had my 2003 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab and a 2005 Matrix as a commuter. Early last year I finally got back into that hobby and did what I wish I'd done years ago. I found the right Miata to by. A white over tan 1996. Rescued it from sitting 5+ years in a driveway. Then much to my amazement an opportunity arose to help a friend out by selling them the Matrix below market which allowed me to do some financial shuffling to finally pull the trigger on a 2009 RX-8 a different friend had owned since new but rarely drove. It only had 7,103 miles on it when I got it. I like to tinker (built an engine for the Dodge in 2018 to replace the leaky head gasket one in it). My wife drives the first new car we've had since 1996. A 2018 Mazda 6.
My classic cars were not my main driveables, we always had 2 newer, not brand new I don't get into that due to depreciation, but new enough cars that we both drove daily. There was one of the classics I drove all summer long and that was a 67 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible, that thing ran great, but I chose that was a daily driver due to parts were very easy to get, fortunately the only replacement part it ever needed in 20 years was a heater core which took me all of 15 minutes to replace it, try replacing a heater core in any modern car in 15 minutes. The other cars I had I drove but to auto shows, and due to Hagerty insurance guidelines I couldn't drive them more than 2,500 miles, sometimes I had to disconnect the speedometer cable to keep the mileage down!! All these cars I'm about to mention were all sold about 3 years ago in an auction with my friends 20 some odd cars he had, he died suddenly and I had no place to keep my cars since the wife had to sell the house to scale down. I had a 58 Plymouth Fury 2dr 350 Golden Commando, I had that car for 36 years, that one I rarely drove because not that many exist; then I had a 63 Studebaker Avanti Supercharged R1 which I had for 31 years, that one I didn't drive much either due to trying to keep the miles down for more value later, I'm surprised those never went up high in price they were a fantastic car, you get really nice ones for $40,000 range, sad; then in that collection of mine was a 72 Chrysler Newport 4 door, I drove that one somewhat too, not a car that was worth a lot but I got it for real cheap and then had it repainted, only had it for about 8 years, the last car which didn't get sold in the auction, was a 79 Chevy Camaro Z28 with a 383 Stroker and a 125 hp NOS Powershot nitro kit, that one I sold about 9 months ago in a private sale, I owned that one for 19 years. I think the guy that bought my Commando sold it after only having it for a year which I thought was odd, but it was his car, he probably sold it for more than he paid me for it; just a beautiful piece of artwork but very impractical to drive on even a weekend basis, it was kind of weird selling because I wanted to keep it but why? I'm glad I sold them when I did because the values are coming down on classic cars, todays Gen X and Millennials don't really care about the cars from back then, so as the Baby Boomers die off those cars will not be in demand that they once were and are sliding down in value; will that ever reverse? I don't think so, maybe the Commando might in another 50 years and be considered something akin to a Auburn or some such car, just guessing.

Like I said it was a small collection, I had friends and acquaintances that had more, that one friend I mentioned that died had over 20 cars in his collection, and there are collectors of that size range scattered all over the US, you would be surprised what's out there hiding. People have either rented or bought old warehouses and kept their cars in those places, there are pole barns with collections, it's amazing what's out there that no one knows about their existence, sure they hear about Jay Leno, a few movie stars and sports figures with collections, but not somewhat everyday people with collections. While I made money selling my cars because I bought them cheap years ago, but by the time you consider inflation, upkeep etc I didn't really make that much, but it was fun while it lasted.
Old 05-04-21, 07:00 PM
ScottJ175

rekmeyata, I made us a new thread in off topic so we don't litter this one with car talk

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/12297...l#post22045024
Old 05-04-21, 08:18 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 173 Posts
So just like most of us, I cannot pass up an $11 bike that is in pretty good original condition and just looks like a fun neighborhood cruiser. Heck, I've sold Pletcher racks like it has for more than that. Closest I could date it is 1977 or 78 Puch Toledo US Series. Should clean up nicely.
Old 05-05-21, 08:49 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
In a way bike related. Someone in our city was giving this away. Thought it would make good wall art in my garage. I might attempt a cosmetic refurbish. Made by Monroe (as in the suspension company). No idea if it works. Valve is missing. I think it's from the 20's. I'll have to look at it closer when I have the time.
IMG_6053 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Rob, Nice find...if made by the shock company it should be an easy fix as well as a super pump.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 05-05-21, 01:12 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Typical bicycle day. Went from watching a buddy spend $3,000 on a new bike to fishing in a dumpster.

Mentioned seeing this in the co-op's dumpster the other day found myself in the neighborhood today so decided to see if it was still there. Pulled this off a Rampar road frame; A real relic of the bike boom, I believe it was produced by Terry, the tennis racket clip people. They throw away a lot of stuff at this co-op. I might go back for the two 26" 32 hole front wheels, one featuring a Shimano LX hub and one with a DX hub. Don't need them but hate to see them destroyed.
Old 05-05-21, 01:15 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
So just like most of us, I cannot pass up an $11 bike that is in pretty good original condition and just looks like a fun neighborhood cruiser. Heck, I've sold Pletcher racks like it has for more than that. Closest I could date it is 1977 or 78 Puch Toledo US Series. Should clean up nicely.
That baby is COOL! Great saddle! Nice find and yes, a great around town cruiser. Cheers!

Old 05-05-21, 02:22 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked 2,895 Times in 1,843 Posts
Probably should have put this in here. Apparently I was the first of 200 inquiries on FB MP, and he appreciated what I was doing with the giveaway as a teacher. I thought it was a pretty incredible deal.

Not CV, but definitely a catch and 1cm on the smaller of my size. A mishmash of parts and the Pinarello disappearing decal disorder intact. Tiagra, Cosmic wheels, cotton sided Michelin Pro Race tyres, the Pinarello saddle and Thompson post.

Not sure how I want to pursue this but there is a matching jersey in Kyiv, Ukraine! Might go campy and keep the wheels intact. Change the saddle, tyres, cables and tape.

Anyone have one of these? And anyone have any good ideas on the decal-less areas?

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Last edited by jdawginsc; 05-05-21 at 03:47 PM.
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-05-21, 03:40 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Rob, Nice find...if made by the shock company it should be an easy fix as well as a super pump.
Best, Ben
Thanks Ben! I have no experience on working on pumps. I was surprised when I tried to pump it, I still felt pressure. I was expecting it to be dead. lol Anyway, it's just going to be decoration. I bought a can of green paint to keep with the original colors.
Old 05-05-21, 07:31 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 252 Posts
By the side of the road under a “free” sign, along with a pressure washer-

As found:

Not SunTour, not SunRace, but SunRun!

The original bike componts baby!

SunRun!

Not too bad after a bath. Maybe clunker challenge 2021?

Old 05-05-21, 07:33 PM
Smokinapankake

By the side of the road under a “free” sign, along with a pressure washer-

As found:

Not SunTour, not SunRace, but SunRun!

The original bike componts baby!

SunRun!

Not too bad after a bath. Maybe clunker challenge 2021?

Old 05-05-21, 10:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Thanks Ben! I have no experience on working on pumps. I was surprised when I tried to pump it, I still felt pressure. I was expecting it to be dead. lol Anyway, it's just going to be decoration. I bought a can of green paint to keep with the original colors.
Rob,
Pressure....That's a good sign....open it up and see if rubber or leather washer....clean and reinstall.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-06-21, 07:34 AM
2cam16

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Rob,
Pressure....That's a good sign....open it up and see if rubber or leather washer....clean and reinstall.
Best, Ben
Yeah I tore it down the other day and prepped it for paint. The rubber washers are about halfway deteriorated.
Old 05-06-21, 03:24 PM
Smokinapankake

Originally Posted by hazetguy
bike is meh (to me). let's see pics of the pressure washer!

Yep the bike is certainly nothing to get excited about but I may enter into the clunker challenge this year with it. After that I may try to turn a sows ear into a silk purse with it using parts from the local bike collective. Or I may just give it away.....
Pressure washer is nothing to write home about either....but it works so thats good
Old 05-07-21, 02:30 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Went back to the co-op's dumpster for some small parts; DC cable carriers for centerpull and canti brakes, cable hangers, things like that. Got an adjustable stem with bars and Tektro levers with the linear pull brakes, that 32H DX front wheel I mentioned before, an unneeded but matching set of 700C road wheels in decent shape. While I was there some guy asked if there were any good 26 tubes and I handed him three front wheels with fully inflated tires. Amazing what they throw out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.