Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Everyone will convert to single side drive, eventually

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 03:45 AM
pria.berdasi

Bikes: Polygon Impression AX 2008, Polygon Helios 900X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, greetings. Last time I posted in bikeforums was in 2012 to show off my tandem at that time.
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...ndem-bike.html

I never really has a chance to really tweak and ride with my tandem until recently due to Covid and finding the right partner as stoker.
After a series of mishap such as bent timing chainring, a lost Campy Record tandem crank ordered from eBay, lathe disaster that caused my pedal to fell off during a ride (I lathed the normal SS crank to change the thread direction to fit cross drive), I decided to give a single side drive a try. Also, of course, after watching this new GCN video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7YJPHXlO-8&feature=youtu.be

What do you guys think about it? Further, I really want to try the front single side drive configuration but it seems like no one has ever posted their experience about it. Has anyone tried it and is there any benefit to it?
Thanks,

Michael Michael
Old 06-25-21, 11:32 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
With all due respect Michael², given your obvious difficulties with innovating existing tandem technologies ... are you really in the best position to speak so authoritatively on what or what not "everyone" will be doing eventually?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-25-21, 01:56 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
....Now, now, now, let's not be mean. It's only an opinion....

The single side drive does have a lot going for it. It's less complicated, lighter, less expensive, and with the advent in recent years of really wide range cassettes and the rear derailleurs to handle them, they are getting closer to offering enough range of gearing for more tandem teams, especially those teams that aren't interested in touring with gear or for those who don't live in regions with big climbs.

I have several tandems and so far, have not tried to convert any of them to SSD. I probably need all the range I can get at my age...but maybe I'll give it a try it some time.
Old 07-03-21, 12:58 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
We’ve tried single side. We mounted the stoker’s timing ring outboard of her largest ring so as not lose the triple chainrings. Only some cranks have enough clearance under the arm to clear the timing ring and chain. The real downside is that if the rear chain overshifts off the large ring it instantly jams into the tensioned timing chain that is running necessarily close to the large ring. You don’t crash because the rear end still freewheels but you are immobilized until you slacken the eccentric and pry the jammed chain out of the timing chain with the large screwdriver which fortunately you remembered to bring with you on your road test. The “texture” of the two chains ensures that they will jam together tightly. Rear-admiral in charge of Her Majesty’s Royal Dockyard ordered immediate reversion to conventional cross-over drive. Her patience was tested by numerous mosquito bites sustained while both hands occupied helping captain clear jammed chain to restore motive power.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 07-03-21, 02:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
We mounted the stoker’s timing ring outboard of her largest ring so as not lose the triple chainrings.
It seems like you chose the most difficult possible combination.

It’s a natural for a 1x system where you can put the drive ring on the boost chain line and the timing ring on the inner.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-03-21, 10:57 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It seems like you chose the most difficult possible combination.

It’s a natural for a 1x system where you can put the drive ring on the boost chain line and the timing ring on the inner.
What is the widest range cassette sold? I imagine the new Eagle 11 - 50's must be in contention. So, if you had a reasonable underdrive at the low end, your monster mash gear could never be higher than 90"+. That wouldn't be enough for me on a 1/2 bike and I think tandems should have tractor trailer gearing and go from high teen's granny's to high 100 teen's spin down the 6% cool off the brakes top end. That simply isn't possible with 1x, and that is why I said that I think the o.p. does not speak for 'everyone'. 2x and even 3x have lots of life left in the 1/2 bike world. Decades more in the tandem and recumbent worlds.
Old 07-04-21, 12:06 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
What is the widest range cassette sold? I imagine the new Eagle 11 - 50's must be in contention.
10-52 on SRAM, so 5.2:1 range and the X Dome cassettes are extra durable. So better than you posit. There are others like e13 going to a 9t top gear.

My post wasn’t really about that, though. Just pointing out what I pointed out. 1x makes single side possible without special tandem cranks or weird 4-ring stack ups .
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-04-21 at 12:14 AM.