Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Found it!

Old 02-06-21, 07:31 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Found it!

I had been going through albums and albums of pictures to give to my wife’s family... I have been looking for this particular picture for a long time...me and my beautiful Schwinn Varsity!

So skinny...so fast!
Old 02-06-21, 07:55 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 346 Posts
Great photo! What year was it?..,and do you still have the bike?
Old 02-06-21, 08:15 PM
billnuke1 

‘68ish,...I would have been probably, maybe 14-15ish...Sadly it was stolen...sigh...very few of my friends were riding these English style bikes...some Stingray bikes... I developed my love/preference for riding alone...fast!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 02-06-21, 08:39 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 258 Posts
Nice! You were the definition of 'gangly'. And that's not disparaging in any way! At that age I was the definition of 'pudge boy'.
Old 02-06-21, 08:49 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Congratulations on finding the photo, and thank you for bothering to scan and upload it.
Old 02-07-21, 03:02 AM
billnuke1 

Yup!

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Nice! You were the definition of 'gangly'. And that's not disparaging in any way! At that age I was the definition of 'pudge boy'.
Yup! Pretty much built for doing boy stuff...running, climbing trees and such, sports, and bicycling. Lot’sa expectations, too...also hard to buy clothes...grew 2” or so at a time!
Old 02-07-21, 06:52 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 397 Posts
Wow, this takes me back. At about the same time I, too, looked like that on my Varsity. My older brother had purchased his Continental which inspired me. I mowed a LOT of lawns for "chump change" but saved every penny. When I had enough, we drove out to the Schwinn dealer in Rexford, NY to purchase my Campus green Varsity. Loved that bike for many years. Decades later I carried it to the recycling center. No expectation of ever riding drop bar bikes again..........
Likes For Prowler:
Old 02-13-21, 09:31 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Ya, takes me back too! My sister may have photos. I’ll have check that out some day. Grew up in a similar time frame in St. Paul, MN. I wasn’t as tall but definitely lean. Don’t know if it was genetics, diet or just that I was outdoors doing “stuff” instead of being glued to a chair with my eyes focused on a computer screen.
Back then, the “cool kids” all rode Schwinn bikes! I had a Continental and my bike buddies both had Schwinns too. One had a Varsity the other a SuperSport. My Dad bought my Continental for me (it was used and a bit older but in great shape). I was a bit jealous of my friend’s “brand new” Varsity but realized the Continental was a step up. I was envious of my other friend’s SuperSport as it was a “step up” from mine. I pined for a 15 speed Sierra but that never happened. Oh well.