Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tricks for removing stubborn tubeless tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 12:15 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

I'm into my first sets of tubeless rims and tires (although some I've put tubes in.... another story).

So far, it's been a major hassle getting the tire bead released from the rim. I can't do it with hand strength enough to get a tire lever engaged. I've watched a few Youtube videos and have tried two techniaues:

Remove wheel, place wheel on ground, stand on tire and twist rim. (didn't work for me)
Remove wheel, squeeze tire in bench vice and twist rim (worked for me - but I had to hold the tire pretty darn tight in the vice).

After I got the bead disengaged using the vice technique, it was easy to use a tire lever to completely remove the tire and replacing this particular tire on this particular rim was no more difficult than other tire/rim combos I'm familiar with - not a big deal. The only issue was the initial bead disengagement.

I'm hoping that people will post tricks for getting tubeless tire beads disengaged from tubeless rims. It maybe a newby question but after almost 50 years of riding and caring for bikes, it's a newby issue for me!
Old 06-26-21, 12:48 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Jimi by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-26-21, 02:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's a biatch. I had to put on some heavy work gloves so my hands wouldn't slip and just muscle it off but that was an MTB tire. A road tire can be harder I imagine. I won't ever be finding that out.
Old 06-26-21, 08:42 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's a biatch. I had to put on some heavy work gloves so my hands wouldn't slip and just muscle it off but that was an MTB tire. A road tire can be harder I imagine. I won't ever be finding that out.
I wonder whether nitrile gloves would help to create more friction and get a better grip.
Old 07-06-21, 05:23 PM
Camilo

Has anyone had luck using a large channel lock pliers or some other hand tool?
Old 07-06-21, 05:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Grip gloves help a lot, but sometimes certain tire/rim combos are just not meant for each other. The problem is easily solved by ditching tubeless rims and tires, going back to tubes and non-tubeless tires. lol. Keep trying different tires to find the gem that works well with your rims.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-06-21, 06:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
While I don't have any tubeless bike tires I broken many car/truck/MC/etc tires by hand with a high lift jack.
On bikes I'd probably reach for an old C clamp and fabricate something for the ends of it.
Old 07-06-21, 06:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Clamping the tire in a vise and trying to twist the rim would never have occurred to me. Did you try pushing the beads into the center well first?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-06-21, 06:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Are you just having a hard time getting the bead away from the bead seat or just getting the tire removed? Although pushing the tire away has been annoying I've never had that much trouble. Bigger issuing is usually getting the bead over the center well where the tire lever can get under it. I find starting at the bead and using my palm to push the tire towards the center and up while moving around the rim frees up enough space at the bead to get the tire off fairly easily.
Old 07-06-21, 07:23 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Just cut them off with a box cutter and don't look back
Old 07-07-21, 01:43 AM
Camilo

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Clamping the tire in a vise and trying to twist the rim would never have occurred to me. Did you try pushing the beads into the center well first?
Oh yeah. Just couldn't move it by hand.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Are you just having a hard time getting the bead away from the bead seat or just getting the tire removed? Although pushing the tire away has been annoying I've never had that much trouble. Bigger issuing is usually getting the bead over the center well where the tire lever can get under it. I find starting at the bead and using my palm to push the tire towards the center and up while moving around the rim frees up enough space at the bead to get the tire off fairly easily.
I couldn't get the bead unseated from the rim. Once I got that done (with the vise), I had no problem getting the tire off the rim using the normal techniques. I'm wondering if there's a hand tool (ie not a bench vise) that anyone's had luck with for breaking the bead loose.
Old 07-07-21, 09:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Oh yeah. Just couldn't move it by hand.

I couldn't get the bead unseated from the rim. Once I got that done (with the vise), I had no problem getting the tire off the rim using the normal techniques. I'm wondering if there's a hand tool (ie not a bench vise) that anyone's had luck with for breaking the bead loose.
I've yet to have an issue with it, usually its getting the bead to seat but in that vein, perhaps the bead seating tool by park?
https://www.parktool.com/product/tire-seater-pts-1
It is used to pry partially inflated tires away from the seat so the tire can sit better. Sorta fits within the design parameters.
Likes For Russ Roth: