Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Electrolysis-Do You Plate?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 08:48 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

We all know the benefits of using electrolysis to remove rust from vintage parts, but does anyone plate those parts with nickel or zinc once the rust is gone? And if so, any pointers or preferences for which metal to use for the plate? I thought copper clad nuts, bolts, spokes, etc would be kinda cool (strange). Seriously, I'm thinking of either replacing all the nuts and bolts on my bikes with stainless steel or nickel plating and polishing because everything rusts here. I have a couple of beautiful bikes that the allen part of the screws are filling up with rust. What say?
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-28-21, 08:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
I got a lifetime supply of stainless Allen bolts for cages, racks, etc. You can get Ti bolts for stems. I think car guys do Cadmium plating when they want something different.
Old 06-28-21, 09:14 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Cadmium plating is all but gone, exception being within the aviation industry. Zinc replaced it. Lots of chromate coloring options for zinc, including the iridescent yellow which looks cool.

I restore older motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's and use a Casewell's "copy cad" zinc plating setup to clean up hardware and fasteners. It's a lot of fun and it makes a huge difference in protection and appearance of the final project.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 06-28-21, 11:47 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I use wood bleach to remove the rust without touching whatever coating remains, and then spray a clear coat on - but I am interested to know more about the plating options one can achieve at home.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 06-29-21, 04:14 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I'd go with the stainless (technically, corrosion-resistant) option in a high-rust area. Any flaw or porosity in Ni plating, including those ind uced by assembly, will expose the underlying material to rusting. Titanium? Meh.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-29-21, 06:53 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Copper plating will tarnish and discolor very quickly if exposed to weather. You would have to clear coat it to maintain its appearance but that wouldn't last very well on nuts and bolts. I also recommend stainless steel fasteners and agree Ti fasteners are too expensive to justify.
Old 06-29-21, 08:36 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Be aware that adding a plating on threaded fasteners increases their thickness and can, but not always, mess up the threads when screwing together. I'm thinking some threaded parts of a frame that might get stripped with home plated screws.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-29-21, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Just replace the fasteners that are rusting. If the originals lasted this long, then how much longer and better must the new fasteners last?
Old 06-29-21, 09:46 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by HillRider
Copper plating will tarnish and discolor very quickly if exposed to weather. You would have to clear coat it to maintain its appearance but that wouldn't last very well on nuts and bolts. I also recommend stainless steel fasteners and agree Ti fasteners are too expensive to justify.
I was only kidding about the copper. haha
Old 06-29-21, 09:50 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iride01
Just replace the fasteners that are rusting. If the originals lasted this long, then how much longer and better must the new fasteners last?
That's the problem. The original screws were rusting within a month of being on the coast. These every morning sea mists are laden with salt and find a way to reach everything. I tried clear coat lacquer after removing all the rust to no avail. Didn't even last a week before the rust was coming through the lacquer. My stem bolts, brake springs, everything that isn't carbon is turning brown.
Old 06-29-21, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
That's the problem. The original screws were rusting within a month of being on the coast. These every morning sea mists are laden with salt and find a way to reach everything. I tried clear coat lacquer after removing all the rust to no avail. Didn't even last a week before the rust was coming through the lacquer. My stem bolts, brake springs, everything that isn't carbon is turning brown.
On my boat that stayed in salt water constantly rust and corrosion was an issue for things that were not marine grade. Even the stainless steel worm clamps for hoses that we bought from the big box discount building supply store would rust and break in just a few years. The way more expensive stainless fasteners we bought at the marine supply houses always looked better longer.

But you don't have to go marine. Just buy some of the zinc or cadmium coated stuff from a fastener supplier in your area, or even chrome plated if you want that look..... but not from the big box discount stores. Stainless Steel comes in all grades of alloy. Cheaper generally worse. I've worked with stainless plate that cost so much I thought it must be made from gold.

Salt air will be a constant battle. So until you loose your love for the sea view and move away, then you'll have to deal with it.

Personally, if I could get my wife to move to the coast, I wouldn't worry about rusty nuts and bolts on my bike at all. I just replace them as needed.
Old 06-29-21, 07:52 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iride01
On my boat that stayed in salt water constantly rust and corrosion was an issue for things that were not marine grade. Even the stainless steel worm clamps for hoses that we bought from the big box discount building supply store would rust and break in just a few years. The way more expensive stainless fasteners we bought at the marine supply houses always looked better longer.

But you don't have to go marine. Just buy some of the zinc or cadmium coated stuff from a fastener supplier in your area, or even chrome plated if you want that look..... but not from the big box discount stores. Stainless Steel comes in all grades of alloy. Cheaper generally worse. I've worked with stainless plate that cost so much I thought it must be made from gold.

Salt air will be a constant battle. So until you loose your love for the sea view and move away, then you'll have to deal with it.

Personally, if I could get my wife to move to the coast, I wouldn't worry about rusty nuts and bolts on my bike at all. I just replace them as needed.
I have to admit that I don't like the sight of rust on my bikes, but if I don't do something about them soon, they will be real chore to get out as they're rusting in place, kinda like me.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-30-21, 12:25 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
... and agree Ti fasteners are too expensive to justify.
You should nip over to the Folders forum sometime
Old 07-01-21, 03:26 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
how does someone learn how to remove rust from bolts using electrolysis?
Old 07-01-21, 07:11 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by justinschulz9
how does someone learn how to remove rust from bolts using electrolysis?
It's very simple. All you need is a battery charger, some baking soda, a piece of steel rebar for an anode, and tap water. Lots of vids on Utube for simple setup. Plating is just a tad more touchy, but still a very easy process. It's also a fun science project if you have great grandkids.
Old 07-01-21, 09:39 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
316 SS is the grade to go for, I believe