Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Rocker plate DIY suggestions?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-21, 06:07 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I want to make a rocker plate for my new kickr core. Any good examples or templates out there that our BIKEFORUM compatriots recommend? I trust you all so better to get your input instead of only a random YouTube video.
Old 12-31-21, 08:47 AM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
I have posted this many times, simple plate. No bearings, no sliders, no springs, no moving parts, no clamps, can be built in an hour for less than $10 or from scrap. This is for the Kickr, and I built a bigger one for my Kickr bike as well. 40,000 km on Zwift and other apps without problems. I would never spend hundreds on something that has the same function.

Old 12-31-21, 10:41 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
I have posted this many times, simple plate. No bearings, no sliders, no springs, no moving parts, no clamps, can be built in an hour for less than $10 or from scrap. This is for the Kickr, and I built a bigger one for my Kickr bike as well. 40,000 km on Zwift and other apps without problems. I would never spend hundreds on something that has the same function.

this has to be the simplest one I've ever seen made. Being g pressed for space I might consider this. All the others I've seen are boat anchors.
Old 12-31-21, 01:56 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

That does look easy to make and very functional. Winner winner chicken diner!
Thank you!
Old 12-31-21, 02:04 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Are the nerf footballs secured in any way to the board? Or are they just sitting on the floor and the board just laying on top them? Did you trim a few inches off of the pointed end to prevent things from sliding around?
Old 12-31-21, 04:05 PM
ingo

The Nerf football is not secured, they don't slide. At rest, the pointy ends are compressed so that there is a centering force when the board is level. Adjustments to the centering force and balance can be made using 1/8" shims of corrugated plastic and by moving the cones in/out. The Kickr center of gravity is offset to the left due to the flywheel so the board needs to be slightly propped up on that side. A pivot board with a bevel is centered under the dropouts along the centerline of the bike.
Likes For ingo:
Old 12-31-21, 04:12 PM
ingo

This is a bigger rocker for my Kickr bike, you can see the pivot strip a little better. The wine box is to get on and off after a race winning sprint.

Likes For ingo:
Old 12-31-21, 04:46 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I built this, it's got a half-round piece of wood on the bottom, and HD foam pads under the legs.
I can adjust the level of tilt by adjusting the feet on the Kickr's legs.
The tilt is just enough to relieve stress on the body.

Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 01-01-22, 11:37 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts

Rocker plate parts. 3/4” ply, rockers, inserted into grooves (dado) on bottom of plate.

The finished product. I really like it. 5” inflatable dodge balls for rocker springs, located with holes, which allow for easy air adjustment.

Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-03-22, 01:42 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

All these look like great hacks. I'll add that I have a kickr core, with a H shaped stand vs the W shape on these pics but I am still very confident the Nerf footballs will work. Should arrive tomorrow so I'll post pics of my finished work and commentary.

Thanks all.
Old 01-10-22, 10:09 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a rocker plate used with a wheel-on trainer? I'm wondering if I can try something like this with my Kickr Snap. I think it would work the same, just not sure I've ever seen it.
Old 01-10-22, 10:58 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Beginning of linear bearing rocker with side/side rock and fore/aft slide.

Old 01-10-22, 01:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Beginning of linear bearing rocker with side/side rock and fore/aft slide.
See, all these hack job rocker plates had me ready to post pictures of mine, and you had to post that.

I am starting to think I made a mistake with mine, because it has linear motion but the front wheel is on a platform that doesn't rock. It's much more comfortable than no rocker plate, but it feels very tippy. So I'm thinking of a revision to put the front wheel on its own rocker (linked to the back rocker).

I hate to mention Meta/fb/dunning-kruger national park, but there is a rocker plate group that has a batch of files with rocker plate templates in them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/415329188897706/?

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-10-22 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-22, 09:56 PM
jwls

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster

Rocker plate parts. 3/4” ply, rockers, inserted into grooves (dado) on bottom of plate.

The finished product. I really like it. 5” inflatable dodge balls for rocker springs, located with holes, which allow for easy air adjustment.

Do you have any issues with the rocker "walking" sideways at all? I am intrigued by this style, and considering trying to make one. Just concerned it might walk, and also working on the radius of the rocker arms.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Has anyone ever seen a rocker plate used with a wheel-on trainer? I'm wondering if I can try something like this with my Kickr Snap. I think it would work the same, just not sure I've ever seen it.
Lot's of examples, and pics, on the FB group mentioned above if that's something you'd be interested in checking out.
Likes For jwls:
Old 01-12-22, 07:55 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Here you go! My front wheel is on the standard TACX riser, which is attached to a wooden block that equals the height of the rocker plate. Since there is no fore/aft movement, it's fine.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-13-22, 10:20 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by jwls
Do you have any issues with the rocker "walking" sideways at all? I am intrigued by this style, and considering trying to make one. Just concerned it might walk, and also working on the radius of the rocker arms.
No issues with it moving around while riding. I have two small cloth pieces that the rockers sit on, which quiets the noise from the resonance and makes more friction with the floor so it can’t move around. Also, cutting two exactly matched pieces for the rocker will keep it from being wobbly and traversing around the room.
Old 01-18-22, 06:35 PM
familyguy
Running on plenty

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 19 Posts
Just going down the half-plate route after grabbing a Neo Smart couple of weeks ago. Put a few rides on it, enough to know that some sort of motion will make it a better option than the rollers. I've got access to a some handy woodworking people to help me make something smart. Anyone seen/have/have access to a Tacx Neo PDF/CAD(DXF/DWG)/3D format file? I was thinking maybe a set of feet bolted onto the plate so that I could just unfold the legs and drop it straight onto the same location each time might be a good idea.