Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate and Training Zones for Old Farts

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Heart Rate and Training Zones for Old Farts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 06:21 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
How one uses HR during training depends largely on the desired training effect.

I am trying to build long distance and endurance, or my aerobic engine so to speak. My primary focus on most all rides is on an effort level where I can still talk, this happens around 115-117 BPM and around 220-230 watts if I am rested. When I do intervals, they are 4-5 minute balls to the wall effort and I can only see the HR later, it is too intense to be fiddling around. That is just how I do it.

Some hearts are like 2 litre Rally Cars and others are like Big Block Chevies or Ford Powerstrokes. They can make the same power, but one motor rev's up to 8000 RPM and the other lugs along at 4000 rpm making the same power. A HRM can help you learn your motor.

That is why comparing HR from one to another rider makes no sense.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-05-22, 08:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
Just tried the ' "active people" formula, 211 – 0.64 x Age ' thing and it comes up close to but less than my average.

Maybe I'm weird?
No it's just that the formula is inaccurate for any individual. HR profiles are as individual as shoe sizes where an average size doesn't apply to all individuals. There is just too much variation for a single formula to be useful.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-05-22, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Biker395
Thanks for the comments. I feel better knowing that others similarly inclined have HRs in the same range.

This is pretty much it. I had someone caution me about exceeding a percentage of my max heart rate, as defined by the calculation. The problem is ... what sense does it make to suggest that my max heart rate is 155, when I regularly ride in the 150-160 range for an hour at a time? I don't think it does.

I'll see a cardiologist anyway for a looksee, but I will pick one that has a lot of athletes (and preferably older athletes) for patients ... or at least has a sub specialty that includes athletes.
According to the 220-age formula my maximum HR "should" be 220-54 = 166
But actually my max HR is 192 (so the above formula is of no value to me)
My FTP HR is around 179
On a long hard ride (typically 6-8 hours) my average HR is usually around 155
On a long easy ride I'm usually averaging around 135
Resting HR is around 60

I'm reasonably fit, but nothing special. I ride typically around 10 hours per week on average following a structured training plan.

I haven't felt any need to consult a cardiologist about any of this. But if I did I would definitely pick one with experience of athletes and preferably cycling. But what I have done is a little self-education to get a good feel for what I should be doing. As I'm not doing anything extreme and feel great I don't overthink it and would hate to be riding with some artificial limit on my HR at this point.
Old 05-05-22, 08:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62

Some hearts are like 2 litre Rally Cars and others are like Big Block Chevies or Ford Powerstrokes. They can make the same power, but one motor rev's up to 8000 RPM and the other lugs along at 4000 rpm making the same power.
Good analogy. I definitely have a high revving, small capacity unit!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-05-22, 08:58 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
I'd be afraid to use a HRM in case I see it go to zero.
Likes For Monkey Face:
Old 05-05-22, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkey Face
I'd be afraid to use a HRM in case I see it go to zero.
You'll do a face plant and not see anything long before it hits zero! <grin>

You might notice your vision start to get blurry as your HR goes too low for your current activity level.
Old 05-05-22, 09:38 AM
GhostRider62

I am not sure if this is relevant to this HR discussion but older athletes can exercise at a much higher percentage of their maximum. Master level cyclists were able to ride at up to 98% of their VO2 max (table 3 in attached). Similar results with old marathoners. Seemingly paradoxically, I have noticed my HR to decrease at the same power or effort levels as I get fit. Something to keep in mind only using HR to train by.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...=rep1&type=pdf
Old 05-05-22, 10:20 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
as i sit here reading this i measured my heart rate at 46 bpm. i happen to be one of those with the jimmy leg, always moving back and forth. i think i just have a normally low heart rate. rarely do i ever see anything in the 160 range and still rare in the 150 range. highest i have ever seen was 172 and that is what i use as my max. not even sure how long ago that was.
Old 05-05-22, 10:31 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You'll do a face plant and not see anything long before it hits zero! <grin>
Unless I'm riding a recumbent! Then nobody will notice, until I start going backwards downhill.
Likes For Monkey Face:
Old 05-05-22, 12:07 PM
PeteHski

I am not sure if this is relevant to this HR discussion but older athletes can exercise at a much higher percentage of their maximum. Master level cyclists were able to ride at up to 98% of their VO2 max (table 3 in attached). Similar results with old marathoners. Seemingly paradoxically, I have noticed my HR to decrease at the same power or effort levels as I get fit. Something to keep in mind only using HR to train by.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...=rep1&type=pdf
That's interesting. I take it that means their decline in VO2 max is larger than their decline at threshold.
Old 05-05-22, 04:24 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's interesting. I take it that means their decline in VO2 max is larger than their decline at threshold.
I don't know. My guess is FTP is more about the periphery and older athletes do not lose that and might actually continue to improve while the heart and lungs start to decline. I really do not know.

My FTP was close to 90% at 62 years old but is now around 75-78% of VO2 max power but getting better after my accident last year. I had read that older marathoners can run very close to their VO2 max whereas younger elite runners are in the 78% range for 2+ hours (whatever it takes to run an elite level......probably 2:20). Another oddity, my resting HR was around 50 pre accident but was 85-90 BPM for months after the accident and is only down to 67-69 now. I asked a lot of Docs about that oddity and only one had a plausible explanation for the high resting HR. He was an army trauma doctor in war time and he said the stress of healing makes the HR higher and that it might take months to come back down. Thus, I have been reading up on this HR stuff. I guess this also relates to a high morning HR and low HRV......body is telling you to take it easy that day.
Old 05-05-22, 04:35 PM
PeteHski

I don't know. My guess is FTP is more about the periphery and older athletes do not lose that and might actually continue to improve while the heart and lungs start to decline. I really do not know.

My FTP was close to 90% at 62 years old but is now around 75-78% of VO2 max power but getting better after my accident last year. I had read that older marathoners can run very close to their VO2 max whereas younger elite runners are in the 78% range for 2+ hours (whatever it takes to run an elite level......probably 2:20). Another oddity, my resting HR was around 50 pre accident but was 85-90 BPM for months after the accident and is only down to 67-69 now. I asked a lot of Docs about that oddity and only one had a plausible explanation for the high resting HR. He was an army trauma doctor in war time and he said the stress of healing makes the HR higher and that it might take months to come back down. Thus, I have been reading up on this HR stuff. I guess this also relates to a high morning HR and low HRV......body is telling you to take it easy that day.
My FTP is currently 78% of my VO2 max power, aged 54. I know for sure the only way I could get to 90% is if my VO2 max power dropped off considerably, while my FTP remained stable.
Old 05-07-22, 06:05 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
We’re all different. Check with your doctor. I used to back off when my effort went above 155. The GP advised it’s ok to go to 180 during my physical.
My avg HR is lower since I’ve been riding more which one would expect.
Old 05-09-22, 01:52 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
on the HRM I use different max rates for different lengths of time:
a 1 minute hill clime
a 15 minute strach
a all day ride
I know what happens if I exceed those limits.
Old 05-10-22, 04:39 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Speedskater
on the HRM I use different max rates for different lengths of time:
a 1 minute hill clime
a 15 minute strach
a all day ride
I know what happens if I exceed those limits.
That's the same for everyone whether they like it or not! But you can only have one "maximum" HR. The others are all below that maximum.