Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Varia radar camera RCT715 leaked

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Varia radar camera RCT715 leaked

Old 05-19-22, 10:59 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I've been looking into a rear view camera, and was excited to see this one come out. My purpose would be solely incident recording, and I really don't have any interest in recording an entire 2, 3 or 4 hour ride. But, if I did, I could certainly spring for a bigger card, and that wouldn't stop me from buying the unit. Other performance issues will cause me to wait for a while to see if functionality improves.

Back in my sports photography days, I bought several $5k-6k camera bodies. If there was a card in the box, it was only a very small capacity card that might hold 100 images. Not good when shooting a football game and shooting a minimum of 800-1,000 shots per game, and burning to dual cards in case of a corruption in one. First thing you did was buy bigger cards. I never heard a single gripe about Canon or Nikon only including the most entry level memory cards. Essentially, the cameras were sold as professional sports cameras, but they were unable to record a game out of the box.

In my mind the function issues are legit critiques. The size of the memory card is not.

That's fair and yea, I remember my wife, when she got her camera, getting a new memory card at the time of purchase and I was like WTF, she said it's just what they do. I guess we can say the same for bikes, how many ditch the saddle, the wheels, the pedals if he has any, etc.. Perspective ...

Old 05-19-22, 11:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
That is what he was complaining about. He said that the 16gb, wont hold a 2 hr ride if I recall... so I can see that point. He wasnt saying not to buy it due to that, but he was just harping on Garmin that with the cost of this thing, for them to cheap out on the memory stick, seems odd. He had more complaints about bigger issues, that is just one he mentioned.
I'm not sure why you would want to video record the entire ride? As I understand it automatically loops the recording and saves any obvious incident i.e. a crash. I don't think it's intended to be an action cam.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-19-22, 11:03 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Is radar worth $170?
Definitely worth it in my experience. It's one of those features you never knew you needed but would not want to ride without once experienced.
Old 05-19-22, 11:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
https://bikerumor.com/first-impressi...r-with-camera/

Previous, no camera version next to new update.

Quite a lot bigger then, but doesn't really matter.
Old 05-19-22, 11:06 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Definitely worth it in my experience. It's one of those features you never knew you needed but would not want to ride without once experienced.
Yep, I can't see riding without it now.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-19-22, 11:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Quite a lot bigger then, but doesn't really matter.
There are so many dirty jokes to reply with, I can't even pick one!
Old 05-19-22, 11:22 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread so my apologies. Busy season and just have a second. I saw the pre-order come through a while back and thought about getting on it. I love my radar and my only complaint is the battery life. Camera works if my family gets to use it in court when I'm killed by a driver or if they want to go all inigo montoya on them. Even at cost it seems expensive but... what's the boiled down verdict. Heard DC didn't like it but Bike rumor liked it (they like anything that pays them though it seems).

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 05-19-22, 11:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

∆ Liked for the inigo montoya reference! 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-19-22, 11:29 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Camera works if my family gets to use it in court when I'm killed by a driver or if they want to go all inigo montoya on them.
LOL
Might also be handy for retribution if you just ended up with a few broken bones, road rash and a trashed bike.
Old 05-19-22, 11:37 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
My wife gave me the ole, "Why do you need a camera on back?" line. I told her it was so she could sue anyone who hit me and killed me. When I told her that she would get all of that money plus the life insurance proceeds, her eyes lit up.
Old 05-19-22, 11:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to video record the entire ride? As I understand it automatically loops the recording and saves any obvious incident i.e. a crash. I don't think it's intended to be an action cam.
At this price point, and given the capability of the hardware used, action cam use absolutely should be an option.

Also, when a cam is set to loop/over-write, any saved recording block is obviously taken out of the available memory. With a small card, it can get tight pretty quickly - a false positive here and there, a manual save or three because you saw something cool or need to report dangerous driver, etc, etc. I think that I have a 128gb card in my Cycliq, and it's not unusual to have 40+ gb locked.
Old 05-19-22, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I didn't read the whole thread so my apologies. Busy season and just have a second. I saw the pre-order come through a while back and thought about getting on it. I love my radar and my only complaint is the battery life. Camera works if my family gets to use it in court when I'm killed by a driver or if they want to go all inigo montoya on them. Even at cost it seems expensive but... what's the boiled down verdict. Heard DC didn't like it but Bike rumor liked it (they like anything that pays them though it seems).
DC was fine with it in terms of the radar stuff - nothing really changed there. He was less enthusiastic about the camera side of things, mostly because it's very much geared towards documenting bad **** and doesn't do as well with documenting fun **** - no image stabilization, super small video clips (30 sec, I think?) that make file handling a chore. He trashed the app, saying it was essentially unusable.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-19-22, 12:01 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
At this price point, and given the capability of the hardware used, action cam use absolutely should be an option.
I have had a GoPro Hero 8 action cam, facing rearward, with a large memory card and external power pack mounted on my seatpost for some time.
Unless something unusual happens on my ride (dog chasing me, close pass, etc) I usually come home and just delete everything without even watching it. The "action" isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Old 05-19-22, 12:07 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
​​​​​​Did you know bikes are sold without pedals?
I do. In fact, I purchased a new set of pedals yesterday. If these things go bad after a few weeks of riding, you better believe I'll be giving the company a negative review. Same for the subject of this thread. If it comes with a 6" charging cable people will be griping about it. Both the cleats and the cable would be functional and easy to replace, but not up to the standards buyers are expecting from the product.
Old 05-19-22, 12:11 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
The "action" isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Given your sig line, that's not surprising - though the basic activity is the same, people have very different ways of going about cycling. On the group ride last night, I think that I saved three or four blocks on my forward facing camera.
Old 05-19-22, 12:41 PM
seypat

I keep going back and forth on the Varia system. It definitely would give me more peace of mind, but I don't know if it will make me any safer. I'm also afraid that I might depend on it too much and my safe riding instincts might slip some. So, I bought a couple of new rear lights this go around along with the pedals mentioned up thread. The lights are sitting on my desk in strobe mode. I can see how long they will last and the recharge cycle will take.

My daughter passed her driving exam last week after a lengthy process. During the process, I had to switch her to one of our vehicles that doesn't have a backup camera. She was depending on it too much and not using proper safe driving procedures. Once we went to the other vehicle, she couldn't get out of the driveway without the camera. Many days of frustration ensued. Gradually, she got the hang of it.

That's what I worry about some with the radar.
Old 05-19-22, 12:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by seypat
I keep going back and forth on the Varia system. It definitely would give me more peace of mind, but I don't know if it will make me any safer. I'm also afraid that I might depend on it too much and my safe riding instincts might slip some. So, I bought a couple of new rear lights this go around along with the pedals mentioned up thread. The lights are sitting on my desk in strobe mode. I can see how long they will last and the recharge cycle will take.

My daughter passed her driving exam last week after a lengthy process. During the process, I had to switch her to one of our vehicles that doesn't have a backup camera. She was depending on it too much and not using proper safe driving procedures. Once we went to the other vehicle, she couldn't get out of the driveway without the camera. Many days of frustration ensued. Gradually, she got the hang of it.

I just read that it's impossible to run with a sapphire lens watch and not crash into the ground, so this doesn't surprise me.
Old 05-19-22, 01:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

I have the Varia, and I can tell you that it helps me immensely. For one, I sometimes have trouble hearing cars behind me due to some hearing loss in the left ear and the wind noise, so it gives me a visual and audible warning that I might not hear without it. That warning tells me to move to the right and stay there until I can verify from looking over my shoulder that the threat has passed. Secondly, it gives me an alert to look again if I look over my shoulder and don't catch something before moving left since my neck range of motion is not always the best. I don't ever rely on it as signaling a clear path to the left.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-19-22, 01:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Not surprisingly, it's larger than the no camera version.
Which is, in turn, larger than the no-lights version.

Sometimes, I miss the purity of a seatpost with only a saddle bag, and handlebars with nothing but tape and brake levers. Still, I find (radar + look over shoulder) >> (look over shoulder) when passing other cyclists on busy roads, or changing to the left turn lane before an intersection.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-19-22, 01:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by genejockey

Sometimes, I miss the purity of a seatpost with only a saddle bag, and handlebars with nothing but tape and brake levers. Still, I find (radar + look over shoulder) >> (look over shoulder) when passing other cyclists on busy roads, or changing to the left turn lane before an intersection.
You lost me at saddle bag!

I just got an Edge 130, for the past several years I've been using a watch (and still am). There's a lot to be said for the relative merits and drawbacks of a watch as a bike computer, but it for sure gives you cleaner bars and stem. I have mine set to vibrate wherever there's a car behind me, can't miss it.
Old 05-19-22, 01:16 PM
seypat

In a somewhat longshot related to the thread note, this is one of those valuable life requirements in Virginia that the pandemic put to an end. It passed and the court appearance procedure ended.

https://www.kffjlaw.com/blog/virgini...et-license.cfm

https://www.insidenova.com/news/arli...24ff4d562.html
Old 05-19-22, 01:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yep, I can't see riding without it now.
I do sometimes, but I feel less safe doing so. Then I remind myself that I rode for decades without one. Same for carrying a cell phone. That said, the vast majority of my rides, I use the Varia and carry a cell phone. And have lights front and back.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-19-22, 01:20 PM
seypat

You could go to a frame triangle bag. That would free up some room on the seatpost, but it's not sexy or roadie en vogue.
Old 05-19-22, 01:22 PM
Mojo31
-------

I don't have anything on my handlebars, and the only thing on the seat post is the Varia. Tail light is tucked under the seat, and tube/tools are in the down tube. Not sure what I'll do if I ever buy another road bike!
Old 05-19-22, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You could go to a frame triangle bag. That would free up some room on the seatpost, but it's not sexy or roadie en vogue.
It's not the room on the seatpost I'm after. It's the minimalist aesthetic.

It's also a bit of a hassle, swapping everything over from one bike to another. The down side of having so many bikes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.