Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just venting out..feeling down

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just venting out..feeling down

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 09:02 AM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is about you Liz33, and not me, so I'll skip my story and simply say I can sympathize with you and understand your situation. When you can't ride, try not to think about why you can't, but instead look forward to the next time you can and how good it felt the last time you did. The good thing is you're here, being real, and telling us how you really feel. That's good. I've never been a big fan of keeping things in, and I think research has found that it's a bad thing to do so. Just like a group ride when you're struggling and someone hangs back to give you some support and a pull, we're here to do the same, just not with our bikes. Hang in there and you'll be riding soon enough. Think of how good it will feel when you do. Even after my crappiest rides, when I've felt terrible or when I was dropped off the back, I still felt better after the ride than I did before.
Old 08-12-16, 11:02 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
All through my teen years I suffered from anxiety and then depression set in because I had no idea what was wrong with me.After a long stint with doctors running tests they found that it was not physical but physiological.My anxiety kept up and would not subside one bit.Long story short My bike saved me by becoming my crutch and allowing me to go out and get back in touch with reality.My bikes help me cope when life throws me a curve ball from time to time.

Good luck and thank you for sharing as well as letting us share with you.
Old 08-12-16, 11:06 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In the scheme of things, life is about choosing that which works well at the given moment.

Lately, I haven't had a lot of time for riding. That doesn't bother me. Life isn't about riding a bicycle- it's something to do that can be pleasurable and beneficial- but so are other things. When I have the time and feel like it, I'll ride. I find that life works best when we are not governed by numbers or pre-determined ideas, but tends to work better when we just play it by ear.

When my beloved 16 year-old dog died a couple of years ago, I felt really down and didn't feel like riding for quite a while...so I didn't. I found long contemplative walks at night very comforting then, so that is what I did. Sometimes it's good not to do anything. Just "be". I don't fight my feelings. It's usually counter-productive, mentally and physically, to do something physically exerting when we're feeling low....to be fast when we're feeling slow...etc.

Listen to your brain/emotions/feelings, and don't try and fight them with your body, but let your body be sympathetic.

You can ride the bike whenever you want at any time in the future- be it for an occasional ride, or every day....when and if you feel like it. In the scheme of things, riding a bike is not important. It's only important when it makes you feel good and gives you enjoyment and compliments your mood and energy.
Old 08-12-16, 03:45 PM
rhrgrt
Total Wannabe

Bikes: Fuji Jari, specialized crosstrail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sorry to hear about your travails rhrgrt---but OP says specifically that biking does help her, and apparently she does it well enough that it doesn't hurt her.

Biking is Not a symptom. Biking is a treatment. it gets the rider out of doors, often in the sun, and out of the same stale environment. it forces the brain to deal with immediate situations, giving less time and space to devote to depressing thoughts and feelings, and can stimulate the release of endorphins.

Plenty of folks have found that exercise, even just a stroll around the neighborhood, can be therapeutic, and more vigorous exercise, more so. And plenty of people really like riding bikes.

I'd say OP doesnt;'t need scare stories right now ... maybe we should get over ourselves and focus on her needs, and try to help her in this tough time for her, eh?
I didn't make my point very well. I apologize for throwing that red herring.

Cycling was a positive change I made, so I was agreeing with Liz33. Symptom has a negative connotation that I really didn't think of, but what I meant was it was a sign. I wanted to cycle because I wanted to be better. So really I was trying to say "I know how you feel, I have the same positive change after cycling all over the place." Cycling has been good for me, despite the hiccups. It wasn't meant to be a scare story, I was just mentioning that cycling has been positive enough that I've continued through.
Old 08-12-16, 05:00 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Great to hear you found something you enjoying doing. Physical exertion does both the body and mind good.
Old 08-13-16, 09:43 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Biking is like life, lots of ups and downs, and you have to stay focused on what's ahead and take it one mile at a time.
Old 08-13-16, 10:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I've also noticed that antihystamines can bring on depression in me. SOme of the newer ones like Zyrtec and Claritin that claim to cause less drowsiness, seem to cause less depression for me.
Old 08-13-16, 10:25 AM
gilpi

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
In the scheme of things, life is about choosing that which works well at the given moment.

Lately, I haven't had a lot of time for riding. That doesn't bother me. Life isn't about riding a bicycle- it's something to do that can be pleasurable and beneficial- but so are other things. When I have the time and feel like it, I'll ride. I find that life works best when we are not governed by numbers or pre-determined ideas, but tends to work better when we just play it by ear.

When my beloved 16 year-old dog died a couple of years ago, I felt really down and didn't feel like riding for quite a while...so I didn't. I found long contemplative walks at night very comforting then, so that is what I did. Sometimes it's good not to do anything. Just "be". I don't fight my feelings. It's usually counter-productive, mentally and physically, to do something physically exerting when we're feeling low....to be fast when we're feeling slow...etc.

Listen to your brain/emotions/feelings, and don't try and fight them with your body, but let your body be sympathetic.

You can ride the bike whenever you want at any time in the future- be it for an occasional ride, or every day....when and if you feel like it. In the scheme of things, riding a bike is not important. It's only important when it makes you feel good and gives you enjoyment and compliments your mood and energy.
This hits home.
Three days ago our pet cat of 16 years suddenly died, never thought in a million years the death of our cat could put me down the way it did. I've been riding on almost a daily basis (just for fitness) and still i don't have the strength or mental desire to ride but I know this will all go away eventually.
Now, I'm a 60 year old man that has seen both parents and many relatives and friends pass, my mom's passing had to be one of my lowest moments in my life and as Stucky mentions, I truly believe we should let our minds dictate (in a rational way) how we behave at a given moment and if we are depressed or feeling down, maybe we need to be?
In my opinion, we also need to realize when these feelings begin to take over our lives and become counter productive.
I can understand how Liz feels, been there many times, I tend to sleep a lot when depressed but my world doesn't allow me too much time to feel down since I have to get up and work in order to provide. That along with cycling, and other types of workouts have been my therapy.
I'm not making this about myself, sometimes listening and reading how others cope, can help.

Last edited by gilpi; 08-13-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 11:01 AM
yadder

Bikes: CUBE Acid 29er, Salsa El Mariachi SSGT Avalanche X 2009, MMVZ Minsk 1980, Trek 4300 custom, HVZ Ukraina 111-411, Cannondale Trail 5

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which depression girl?? You live in USA ! It's amazing. I don't have anytime on the depression/ I want go to the America. But i need study language, need a lot of money about $ 5000 on the ticket and documents, need make passport and visa. I wish you happy, because my dream about USA maybe don't realisation.
Old 08-13-16, 07:00 PM
Liz33

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yadder
Which depression girl?? You live in USA ! It's amazing. I don't have anytime on the depression/ I want go to the America. But i need study language, need a lot of money about $ 5000 on the ticket and documents, need make passport and visa. I wish you happy, because my dream about USA maybe don't realisation.
As someone mentioned, happiness is not only about what you do, or where you live. Everything contributes to how we feel and it's important to like what we do and where we are but Success and happiness is within the person and not based on something out there. If you are not happy in your country you won't be happy either in any other country. In fact, a lot of immigrants suffer depression when they get here and face reality vs expectations and all the changes of starting a new life again from zero in a totally new culture. So, I hope you are a happy person over there so that you can continue being happy here if one day you get here. But thank you for your post and reminding us to be grateful for our blessings. I am.
Old 08-13-16, 07:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by yadder
LOL, sell some of your bikes and there's your plane ticket!

Just kidding. What you say and what Liz33 say have merit. We are blessed, here in America, with options and ease and wealth which 90 percent of the world's population will never know,.

Depression is about brain chemistry, though ... your brain doesn't care how big your paycheck is, or what your address is. It will send out bad ideas to rich and poor alike.

Good thing is that with help and support and diligence a lot of people can turn things around. Some need chemical help, which is also okay if that's what they need.

So long as the people who need help are willing to reach out ... sometimes that itself is enough to turn the corner.

Liz33 seems to be on the road to recovery ... i hope things work out exactly as they should for her ... and for you too, yadder.

Making major changes, whether physical or mental, takes dedication and perseverance, tolerance and sometimes a bit of outside encouragement. And sometimes ... bicycles.
Old 08-13-16, 08:32 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Liz, who says you have to do the full century? Show and do what you can, whether that is 25, 50, or the full hundred. It is a bike ride, not a race. And, who knows you might be able to do the full 100.

I have been where you are. It seems like it never gets better, but it does. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it does. There are two pages of people giving you support. All it takes is one person to make a difference in someones life.
Old 08-13-16, 08:57 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I'm 62 and came back to cycling because a colleague raced MTBs and my constant chattering about it to the S.O. resulted in a hard tail Xmas present, then a fatbike for a birthday a few years later. I also had struggled with arrythymia for a decade and my doctor determined that hard sweat inducing exercise could strengthen my heart sufficiently to withstand that jazz beat within my chest. And you know what? Cycling became that which healed me. I go out and ride and those endorphins chill me out and I no longer fear the strange beats within for they have been subdued. I ride trails, road, the beach. I've met many new friends, I ride a back to back century every year, I advocate for local bike improvements and despite my age the young cyclists accept me for my shear gall at riding a fat-bike in a double century, or pounding miles down the beach covered in sand and salt. If I don't ride, something seems missing. Yes it changed me for the good and the vibe I get for those around me is reflected back. Don't get me wrong, this journey took years. But it is worth it.
Old 08-13-16, 11:52 PM
yadder

Bikes: CUBE Acid 29er, Salsa El Mariachi SSGT Avalanche X 2009, MMVZ Minsk 1980, Trek 4300 custom, HVZ Ukraina 111-411, Cannondale Trail 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liz33
As someone mentioned, happiness is not only about what you do, or where you live. Everything contributes to how we feel and it's important to like what we do and where we are but Success and happiness is within the person and not based on something out there. If you are not happy in your country you won't be happy either in any other country. In fact, a lot of immigrants suffer depression when they get here and face reality vs expectations and all the changes of starting a new life again from zero in a totally new culture. So, I hope you are a happy person over there so that you can continue being happy here if one day you get here. But thank you for your post and reminding us to be grateful for our blessings. I am.
Yes it's true. But i want more than what i have. When i feel sad, i or ride or sleep . Sometime i see photo nude woman. You -in sense women- Lovely
I wish you crack your problem, and enjoy life. Trust me- life is very amazing. i'm 40 y.o. and i know. you beatuful girl, and everythig will be OK. Tryst me
Old 08-14-16, 12:02 AM
yadder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, sell some of your bikes and there's your plane ticket!

Just kidding. What you say and what Liz33 say have merit. We are blessed, here in America, with options and ease and wealth which 90 percent of the world's population will never know,.

Depression is about brain chemistry, though ... your brain doesn't care how big your paycheck is, or what your address is. It will send out bad ideas to rich and poor alike.

Good thing is that with help and support and diligence a lot of people can turn things around. Some need chemical help, which is also okay if that's what they need.

So long as the people who need help are willing to reach out ... sometimes that itself is enough to turn the corner.

Liz33 seems to be on the road to recovery ... i hope things work out exactly as they should for her ... and for you too, yadder.

Making major changes, whether physical or mental, takes dedication and perseverance, tolerance and sometimes a bit of outside encouragement. And sometimes ... bicycles.
Yes you're right about my bikes. But ticket is not enough. I need a lot money for live. I think sale my home in Ukraine, but it only thoughts. I dream open bike repair center in NY.
Thaks for your answer friend. I hope sometime i will in NY
Old 08-14-16, 12:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I've also noticed that antihystamines can bring on depression in me. SOme of the newer ones like Zyrtec and Claritin that claim to cause less drowsiness, seem to cause less depression for me.
That's a very important point. There are various classes of antihistamines, H1 antagonists and inverse agonists and each can produce profoundly different effects on some people. In addition some, like Benadryl and generic diphenhydramine, are anticholingerics and can produce severe side effects in some people, including sudden depression, disorientation, etc. If at all possible avoid taking any of the H1 antagonists on this list, which includes most inexpensive over the counter remedies.

Some of the worst are the Dayquil/Nyquil and generic all-purpose cold/flu/allergy meds. Never take those if you can avoid it. Some contain up to three anticholinergics, the combination of which can result in sleep disturbances, nightmares, disorientation, memory loss and depression. These all-in-one meds tend to use the cheapest, nastiest over the counter remedies for allergies, stuffy noses, coughs, etc., all of which have been surpassed by much better OTC choices.

It's almost always better to pinpoint the specific symptoms and take only the remedy for that symptom. No need to take antihistamines if you have a cold or flu with respiratory congestion, runny nose, etc.

I do best with Zyrtec, while Claritin does nothing for me.

If you have a stuffy nose that's severe enough to cause pain, and doesn't respond to mild saline irrigation, steam or good antihistamines, about the only thing that works effectively is real Sudafed or generic pseudoephedrine. Nowadays you have to sign for it in the US (thanks, meth heads).

Forget phenylephrine, the usual generic OTC substitute. It's crap. Studies show it's ineffective as a nasal decongestant. No point taking it and some folks will experience side effects. The one thing phenylephrine is occasionally useful for is hemorrhoid relief. It does provide some relief from swelling of hemorrhoidal tissues, although it isn't effective with sinuses. Not sure why, but research confirms this oddity. If you check the ingredients on some hemorrhoid wipes and ointments it'll contain phenylephrine and witch hazel. You can buy both separately and concoct your own relief ointments.

I could go on and on about this. It's a pet peeve of mine because I've been caregiver for three elderly relatives over the past 20 years and saw each one experience unnecessary and avoidable confusion, disorientation and short term memory loss from taking OTC and prescription meds that were inappropriate for their conditions. Fortunately their doctors were willing to change prescriptions after discussing it, but I'm always disappointed that they don't seem to consider the side effects before prescribing this stuff in the first place.
Old 08-14-16, 12:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
This hits home.
Three days ago our pet cat of 16 years suddenly died, never thought in a million years the death of our cat could put me down the way it did. I've been riding on almost a daily basis (just for fitness) and still i don't have the strength or mental desire to ride but I know this will all go away eventually.
Now, I'm a 60 year old man that has seen both parents and many relatives and friends pass, my mom's passing had to be one of my lowest moments in my life and as Stucky mentions, I truly believe we should let our minds dictate (in a rational way) how we behave at a given moment and if we are depressed or feeling down, maybe we need to be?
In my opinion, we also need to realize when these feelings begin to take over our lives and become counter productive.
I can understand how Liz feels, been there many times, I tend to sleep a lot when depressed but my world doesn't allow me too much time to feel down since I have to get up and work in order to provide. That along with cycling, and other types of workouts have been my therapy.
I'm not making this about myself, sometimes listening and reading how others cope, can help.
That's not unusual. I experienced that myself with a cat about 20 years ago that never woke up from surgery (she was a young cat, in for spaying and declawing), and at the time couldn't figure out why it hit me so hard. I've had many pets over the years, including adopting many older pets that died of old age in my care. So while I was fond of them I never reacted with grief.

After mulling it over for awhile I realized that particular cat's death followed a series of stressful events including the death of my grandfather and subsequent strain on the family that wasn't resolved for years. We'd moved, I'd been promoted at work to a position that paid more but involved much more travel and stress. So while I was very fond of that silly cat and her antics, I think it was just the last straw after a very stressful period.

I was a little better prepared 10 years later to handle the depression that followed another series of stressful events, including a job loss, divorce, two deaths of close family members and a car wreck that disabled me for several years. I definitely felt overwhelmed but that time I knew to get into therapy and try the anti-depressants suggested by the psychiatrist. It helped ease me through a difficult period. I was able to go without those meds after a few years, but was always wary of the return of depression that felt out of proportion to the circumstances.

Bicycling has helped a lot with coping. I still have to occasionally explain to loved ones why I do it, especially when I decide to go out after dark to avoid the summer heat. But I sometimes gently remind them that I don't see why they spend so much time watching television or doing any of the pursuits they enjoy but which bore me. We each have to find what works for us.
Old 08-14-16, 12:33 AM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your words. I hope you can ride again one of these days when you want, and that you get better too. I agree that in faith I can find strength, that's one thing I have to work on

Old 08-14-16, 12:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Each situation is a little different. For me, the easiest way to keep rolling on my bike is bike commuting. And I've put a lot of hard miles on my bike since I stopped driving 2 years ago.

Anyway, I wish you well, and an enjoyable time on the road.
Old 08-14-16, 03:07 AM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
@SHBR thank you for your words

@canklecat Thank you for sharing your story with me and I’m sorry that you’ve been through such loses in your life. I’m glad you are back riding now and getting better physically and emotionally

@Zukoda hi Mark, thank you for your good wishes. I Hope you got to enjoy your ride.

@bud16415 It was nice to read in the ways that you see how riding bring joys to others. I can relate to the sense of accomplishment . I agree with you, bikes are a great invention, and hey, I think I saw once a bike that could fly, maybe you can research on it and fly too

@Milton Keynes I’m sorry your dad passed away, and good for you that you decided to make a change to be healthier and in better physical shape. I can relate. I have to lose weight too. Honestly, I don’t care so much about how I look because I’m ok with it but I see what my mother is going through with her health and I don’t want to follow in her steps. It’s a health issue and riding helps a lot. I’m glad riding changed your life too.

@berner thank you. It takes courage, yes, but more than that it takes tremendous will power that I reallyyyyy wish I had more of it.

@aplcr0331 lol I went swimming the day I read your post lol …I also wanted to say that I honestly don’t try to make things profound with meaning. I just let my thoughts and feelings flow in whatever natural way they do, so if sometimes I sound like I’m trying hard to be too serious or deep, I’m not, I’m just being me. I don’t know if I am a deep thinker, a foolish thinker, a shallow thinker or whatever, lol but I’m a thinker. Thank you for your response, I know what you meant, And maybe I could definitely be a lot happier if I didn’t think so much but it’s in my nature to wonder about stuff…riding makes my thought clearer afterwards.

@eff-J Thank you for your post and sharing the link to the happy course with me. Very nice

@TimothyH Hello Tim, I agree with what you said and I quote “ My identity and purpose are not based on what I do because those things can change, but on God who never ever changes. “ If you could only begin to imagine the meaning those words have in my life and how I understand it…what happens if I can’t ride anymore? I’ll have to continue finding ways to cope. I prayed God to help me and I ended up on a bicycle. God will continue to provide ways.

@travbikeman Thank you. Hey I would love to see a coyote lol

@rhrgrt I’m sorry you went through so much. I understand what you mean too, now that I got a taste of how good I feel when I go out riding, I want to continue feeling good and If one day I can’t ride I have more strength now to look for alternatives to continue feeling good even though it doesn’t always work. I agree seeing a good therapist can also help a lot.

@TheLibrarian Thanks. True 

@Maelochs Thanks a lot for your words and support. I appreciate it, and no, I’m not a troll lol and all the replies here are not BS to me. I’ve read each and every one of you and everyone here has touched my heart with the kindness and compassion and care that you’ve responded. I never expected such responses and it’s very nice reading everyone’s story and support. Thank you.

@FBinNY Thank you very much. That must have been quite an experience seeing that hawk catching its prey. Wow. I do have to work on being okay with changing my plans when they don’t work out and not be frustrated. I’ll learn.

@blakcloud Thank you for your words. I’m also glad that I wrote this post, I never imagined any responses like this and It’s been helpful. Thank you too.

@BobbyG I’m glad you are doing better regardless the difficulties in your life. I constantly have to check for Vitamine D and also B12. It does make a difference!

@jimb100 hi Jim, yes, thank you. I know what you mean. I’m glad you got the help you needed too.

@Hardrock23 I’m sorry you went through so much. I’m glad you are doing better now. Thank you for sharing your story and your kind words.

@SkunkWerX Hi …Thank you for your post here. I know what you mean. I hope you can enjoy soon that next ride if you haven’t done it already!

@obed7 you are right, I am coping, and I was just coping when I posted here, I was feeling so down that night and I didn’t have someone to reach out to that night so I just vented out here and what a surprise to read later all the stories and support people shared back. I do love writing and I may do that too. Thank you

@up on two : I’m sorry you had to go through the loss of your marriage and to deal so closely with depression. Depression can definitely affect a marriage, just like a marriage can affect depression.

@CrankyNeck Thank you so much for your words

@7up I’m sorry you had to deal with anxiety, that’s very bad. I’m glad you are doing better thanks to your bike too and thank you too for sharing with us.

@Stucky I’m sorry for the loss of your dog. I love animals and I’ve had very dear pets too. I know the sorrow and pain when our dear dog is no longer with us physically. I know what you meant also in your post and I agree with you that we need to listen to our bodies and be sympathetic to its needs. When you are grieving and feeling down, it’s ok to slow down and give the body the time and space it needs to heal along with the soul. When you are depressed, however, which is different than grieving, and you are stuck day after day after day in that dark place of laziness and worthlessness with no purpose and no motivation or productivity, sometimes you have to mortify the body and push it out of that comfort zone so you can feel better later. I’m learning too, to differentiate between those times when it’s ok to give the body a break and when I’m allowing myself back into the numbness of depression. It’s like you said, kind of playing it by ear…one day at a time…and I’m glad riding motivates me to push forward. I hope you can find the time to ride your bike soon 

@REDMASTA Thank you

@Hokiedad4 That’s right

@gilpi Yes gilpi, it does help reading all of you and your stories too. Thank you.

@turkey9186 thanks…yes if I’m still in this area by then I’ll show up at that century and do what I can. Thank you.

@Jseis Hi, I’m glad you are doing better and that riding helped you too. Thanks for sharing.

@CliffordK Thank you. I kind of admire people that commute. I can’t commute, I’m terrified of traffic lol.
Old 08-14-16, 03:09 AM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's a very important point. There are various classes of antihistamines, H1 antagonists and inverse agonists and each can produce profoundly different effects on some people. In addition some, like Benadryl and generic diphenhydramine, are anticholingerics and can produce severe side effects in some people, including sudden depression, disorientation, etc. If at all possible avoid taking any of the H1 antagonists on this list, which includes most inexpensive over the counter remedies.

Some of the worst are the Dayquil/Nyquil and generic all-purpose cold/flu/allergy meds. Never take those if you can avoid it. Some contain up to three anticholinergics, the combination of which can result in sleep disturbances, nightmares, disorientation, memory loss and depression. These all-in-one meds tend to use the cheapest, nastiest over the counter remedies for allergies, stuffy noses, coughs, etc., all of which have been surpassed by much better OTC choices.

It's almost always better to pinpoint the specific symptoms and take only the remedy for that symptom. No need to take antihistamines if you have a cold or flu with respiratory congestion, runny nose, etc.

I do best with Zyrtec, while Claritin does nothing for me.

If you have a stuffy nose that's severe enough to cause pain, and doesn't respond to mild saline irrigation, steam or good antihistamines, about the only thing that works effectively is real Sudafed or generic pseudoephedrine. Nowadays you have to sign for it in the US (thanks, meth heads).

Forget phenylephrine, the usual generic OTC substitute. It's crap. Studies show it's ineffective as a nasal decongestant. No point taking it and some folks will experience side effects. The one thing phenylephrine is occasionally useful for is hemorrhoid relief. It does provide some relief from swelling of hemorrhoidal tissues, although it isn't effective with sinuses. Not sure why, but research confirms this oddity. If you check the ingredients on some hemorrhoid wipes and ointments it'll contain phenylephrine and witch hazel. You can buy both separately and concoct your own relief ointments.

I could go on and on about this. It's a pet peeve of mine because I've been caregiver for three elderly relatives over the past 20 years and saw each one experience unnecessary and avoidable confusion, disorientation and short term memory loss from taking OTC and prescription meds that were inappropriate for their conditions. Fortunately their doctors were willing to change prescriptions after discussing it, but I'm always disappointed that they don't seem to consider the side effects before prescribing this stuff in the first place.
Thank you. I don't take medication, only on rarely occasions, I know plenty of natural remedies lol but I'm copying this to share it with a friend and I didn't know about it so now I can research more about it because I do have a friend that really needs to know this. Thank you a lot.
Old 08-14-16, 07:38 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
" “ My identity and purpose are not based on what I do because those things can change, but on God who never ever changes. “ If you could only begin to imagine the meaning those words have in my life and how I understand it…what happens if I can’t ride anymore? I’ll have to continue finding ways to cope. I prayed God to help me and I ended up on a bicycle. God will continue to provide ways. ""

There you go. You mentioned that you prayed... and God answered.
Try to look more to Him and less to your situation, or your bike, or whatever. Not that you can't enjoy what He's given you. Know that He loves you more than your bike does.
...and good for you for reaching out! That's a good thing you did.
Old 08-14-16, 10:16 AM
up on two

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The power of prayer always amazes me and often leads to positive results.
Old 08-14-16, 10:19 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Try this Great Tape.

https://vimeo.com/133356410

Old 08-17-16, 11:39 AM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liz33
So many of you are a lot older. I wish you could tell me it's going to be okay...
Checking in too make sure it is getting better. It may not seem like it at times, but it will be alright in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.